About to Begin Fulltiming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Us

Hello Everyone,

My wife Diane and I are about to begin fulltiming (living in our RV Fulltime) even before our Condo is sold.? We just bought our first RV on 01/03/2006.? It's a 1992 Fleetwood American Eagle with a 300hp Cummins Diesel and 6 speed Allison transmission.? At present we are in Silver Spring, MD, but plan to make a trip to Brookston IN to have a seat lift installed as Diane is disabled.? So we will accomplish 2 things with our first trip, 1) we will get a necessary piece of equipment and 2) have our shakedown cruise at the same time.? This will be an interesting experience for us and we wanted to get to know others as a part of this experience.? Diane is retired on disability from the National Park Service where she was the Chief Librarian.? I worked for the Postal Service where I was a technician, now I'm a fulltime caregiver, webmaster, chief cook and bottlewasher.? Diane use to camp with her family when she was a child, so she has had some experience.? They even had a pop-up camper once.? I on the other hand, except for a few experiences I'd rather forget, have very little experience.? So we would like to get to know others and perhaps meet up with some of you on the road.

Karl and Diane

Karl and Diane, welcome to our forum. You'll find lots of friendly RVers around here, so feel free to look around, jump into any of the discussions, or ask any questions.

Karl and Diane,

Welcome to the RV Forum and congratulations on the American Eagle.  I am sure you will enjoy it.  Since yo are going to Indiana the American Coach Service Center is the best place to get service if needed.  Great group of folks there.  Please join in on any of the ongoing discussions, ask questions, or start new discussions relating to the RVing lifestyle.  Glad you found us.  Oh we have an American Eagle too and love it.

Welcome Karl & Diane and congratulations on your [almost] new Eagle and new adventure. We are sure you will enjoy both! Even if there may be a few rough spots in the beginning.

We can help - don't be afraid to ask, even if you think it's a dumb question.  We've all done most of the dumb things. Sometimes more than once!  :D

Welcome Karl and Diane,

Mike is a fellow retired NPS employee. He worked as a park ranger until he couldn't hike up and down the canyons anymore and took a disability retirement. I worked as a VIP including a stint as the volunteer librarian at San Antonio Missions NHP.

We're inching toward full-timing (some days it feels as though we're at a complete standstill).

I know you'll enjoy the group....lots of great people with the knowing of a lot of things.

Welcome!

Hello to Diane & Karl and Wendy & Mike,
? ? ?I am an about-to-be-retired librarian for Pepperdine University and part-time trailer driver.? My husband, Carl, has been retired for over 10 years and has been active on the RV Forum, Trailer section, all of this time.? We are looking forward to the the May RV event in Moab and to more trailer trips when I retire in August.? I'd like to learn more about Wendy's volunteer NPS experience since that sounds like something we have always dreamed of.? Should we form a section for RVing librarians?
? ? ?Cindy Lundquist
? ? ?Culver City, CA

Hello Cindy,

I'd love to chat with you in Moab about NPS volunteer opportunities. In the meantime, you might want to explore www.volunteer.gov where you can search for federal government volunteer jobs by state or activity (there's a fair number of librarian jobs listed). Retirement is wonderful and working in the national parks is great, although I think it'd be tough to leave that gorgeous Pepperdine campus!

Sign me up for that RVing librarian group! Hardest thing about getting ready to go full-timing is getting rid of my books!!!!!!

Wendy

I know it is hard to get rid of your books but there are always libraries wherever you go.  I have several library cards in the places we spend more time and also volunteer at those libraries.  So many books and so little time.

Wendy

You can donate your books to your local library and if they can't use them in their system they give them to "Friends of the Library" which in turn sell them and the proceeds go to that library.

Thanks for the welcome Tom, Ron, Gary, and Wendy.  And Hello to Cindy.  Hopefully with all the helpful people on this forum, the ruff spots will disappear before we get to them, well at least not so ruff.

Lorna said:
So many books and so little time.

I have a t-shirt that says that. And it's so true!

I figured on giving a lot of the books to the local library here. They even have a volunteer who lists them on half.com and gives the money to the Friends of the Library. And I can bring boxes and boxes to Moab and foist them off on all of the framily members who are there! (Lots of SF)

And like you said, I can always go visit any library while we travel and play with their books.

Back
Top Bottom