AC CYCLES FINE ALL DAY THEN IN THE MUDDLE OF THE NIGHT TRIPS 30 amp on geny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgaroppo

Okay so I have a 2012 puma that my grandparents gave me a few months ago. I’ve cleaned it up put a new battery on her and installed a new converter. I have a 8000 watt generac generator that powers the rv when camping. My AC will run and cycle dine all day long then at night for some reason it trips the breaker on the geny. It almost sounds like it can’t decided if it’s hot enough and Turns in and off before tripping the breaker. I was wondering what could be going wrong and if anyone could help? I was thinking it’s maybe the thermostat and when it’s hot outside it can tell the difference between the hot and cold because it does t take long for it to heat up inside when it shuts off. But at night it cools off outside and it’s having trouble deciding if it needs to kick on or not. I’m by now means a electrician or a ac tech. Thanks for reading and any advice.

Is the fan coming on without issue and the compressor is turning off/on causing the breaker to trip?

When a compressor shuts down, there must be a delay prior to a restart so that system pressures balance out. If the compressor shuts off and immediately attempts to restart, this could trip the genny breaker or the branch circuit breaker in the distribution panel if it is using one

Is it a 60 amp breaker?

What size is the air conditioner? Is it a heat pump? (a heat pump is an air conditioner that will reverse coil duty and supply heat into to living space instead of cooling)

I cannot explain the timing of the event. First thing is to determine what is happening.

Delays for compressor restart could be built into the thermostat or be a part of the air conditioning unit and usually are in the 3-5 minute range for a restart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom