AC FLIPING BREAKER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRST HR

New to rv's , HI ! my trailer has been sitting for two years when i fired up the ac it blows col for about 2-3 minutes and then pops the breaker  .. need new breaker ? trailer is a 89 HR 5th wheel imperial .

First hr,

While we're waiting for the real experts to show up...

That sounds like what happens when I tried to run the AC using an extension cord.  The AC starts, pulls the voltage down, that causes the current to increase (if the AC doesn't shut itself down) and trips the breaker.

Tell us what kind of power hookup you have.

Joel

Joel,

Go directly to jail, do not pass "GO", do not collect $200 - you just broke Ohm's Law ;D

FIRST HR,

Circuit breakers do age with use and abuse (using one to turn things on and off like it were a switch) and will handle less and less current. A 20 amp breaker could easily trip at only 15 amps if it's been weakened over time. Before replacing it however, remove the front panel from the breaker box and see if there is more than one wire connected to the offending c.b. A/c's should have their own breaker and not be sharing it with other loads. If there is more than one, the other wire(s) should be moved to a different breaker. If only one, replace the c.b. with a new one of the same amp rating.

If you find more than one wire to the c.b., report back and we can help you fix the problem. It's not difficult. :) 

good ! yes I'm hoping that's all it is ill try to pick up a new one today and put it in tonight . is there anything that might need to be cleaned out like the condenser fins ?

Joel,

That's always a good idea. You'd be surprised how much dust, leaves, cottonwood, etc. can accumulate up there. Use a hose with a spray attachment, but not so much pressure that you bend the fins. Remove to cover and spray from the inside out. Also clean the  filter inside the MH.

Karl said:
Joel,

Go directly to jail, do not pass "GO", do not collect $200 - you just broke Ohm's Law ;D

Karl, I don't think so, I wouldn't do a thing like than knowingly.

The AC isn't a fixed resister.  It's a motor,  it tries to maintain constant power.  To maintain constant power, if the volts go down, you have to suck more amps.

Joel,

O.k. Maybe I should go to jail. You would be trying to maintain constant speed in the 1-2% slip range, so it would take more current; not necessarily more power, to do so. Being a current operated device, the c.b. could well be overtaxed (just like us citizens!).

Karl said:
Joel,

it would take more current; not necessarily more power, to do so. Being a current operated device, the c.b. could well be overtaxed (just like us citizens!).

Yeaup, when you try to run the ac through a inadequate estension cord, or inadequate campground wiring, that starts a death spiral and something is gonna blow.

Joel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom