AC not working off gen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianRucker

New to site.

2007 National RV Pacifica TE40B with 8k onan.

I have a basement AC/heat pump as well as a roof AC.

Neither of my AC units will power on when using my generator. Everything else in the coach operates normal including the heatpump.

When I plug into shore power the AC?s both work fine.

I?ve checked all the circuit breakers and fuses I can find and can?t locate the issue.

Has anyone else come across this issue?!?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Welcome to the RVForum Brian. When an A/C appliance works on shore power, but not on generator power, I usually suspect that the auto transfer switch isn't switching over, but you said the heat pump IS working on generator power... right? Are any other A/C appliances (TV, microwave) not working on generator power?

Kev

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for helping out. Yes, everything else works with gen power except the AC?s.

Is there somewhere along the power supply line from the generator in which power is split off specifically to power AC?s?

Thanks again

Something doesn't seem right... A heat pump IS an air conditioner, just one that's reversible so it can transfer heat in either direction as needed. Possibly one leg of the transfer switch is not switching to generator, and that leg also powers the heat pump and A/C control system so only the default settings work.

If I got it right, the basement heat pump works fine, but the roof a/c unit() don't run at all. Or do they run b(fan blows) but don't cool?  They would be powered independently so that certainly possible.  The roof unit would also be an aftermarket upgrade, so hard to guess how it is wired.

How big is the generator - it may not have sufficient power for both the basement system and a roof unit (or two). That would almost surely mean there is a switch somewhere to choose which one gets power.  Do they all work together on shore power?
Shore power has up to 12,000 watts available, but your genset is probably something like 6000-8000 watts.

Back
Top Bottom