AC problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pianoguy400

So my 2 AC units work fine when I’m running my generator. This last campground the one in the front was running but the Compressor wasn’t kicking on. I tried plugging into the 30amp and the 50amp no change. My rig is 30amp!! I figured my front AC crapped out on me. Packed everything up plug the motorhome back into my generator and the front AC compressor kicked back on? What could cause this? And what is the fix the next time I’m at a another campground?

30 amp wont run 2 ac units unless you start the first one then turn on the fan to the second unit then switch the second from fan only to ac but you cant run anything else no fridge water heater coffee maker nothing
Good luck

Most 30 amp RVs only one A/C at a time runs on Shore power.. They are wired this way for a very good reasion (13.5 Amp times 2 leaves basically NOTHING for the converter or anything else)
There is a switch somewhere to Choose Front/Rear or a "Energy Management System" by Intellect (most likely maker) that "Sheds" one of the A/C's on 30 amps.
I'm guessing you have the (Intelletec EMS) since you said the blower blows.
How to get around that one I do not know..
My rig did not have that device so i was able to get around the only one at a time on 30 restriction by runnng a pair of 12 GA leads to an outside compartmetn (Along with some 10 Ga for a 12 volt kob but that's another story.. Same compartment. it was DRY and Handy)
20 amp plug and socket and then on 30 amps th 2nd a/C was plugged into the parks' 20 amp outlet via a 2nd cord. Totaly independent of the RV.

This last campground the one in the front was running but the Compressor wasn’t kicking on. I tried plugging into the 30amp and the 50amp no change.
Are we correct to assume that you have used both air conditioners at the same time operating on shore power in the past and all worked as it should?
I figured my front AC crapped out on me. Packed everything up plug the motorhome back into my generator and the front AC compressor kicked back on? What could cause this?
The next thing that I would try is putting the rig back on shore power to see what happens then. I had an RV that was 50A with 2 air conditioners which had the front one fail to work in the 13th year that we owned it. Since we were in a place where temperatures weren't too bad and the air in the bedroom still worked, I just decided to live with it. Strangly enough when we got to our next stop the front unit worked again and it then continued to work for the remainder of the trip. Shortly after we returned to home-base I went out and tried it again and it didn't start. The compressor had siezed up and after I tinkered with it some, I did get it to run again but doubt that it lasted. We sold the RV soon after and I did tell the buyer of the possible need and they replaced the front air conditioner shortly after purchase. I have been told that intermittant operating is not uncommon with an RV air conditioner that is late in life.

Most 30 amp RVs only one A/C at a time runs on Shore power.. They are wired this way for a very good reasion (13.5 Amp times 2 leaves basically NOTHING for the converter or anything else)
There is a switch somewhere to Choose Front/Rear or a "Energy Management System" by Intellect (most likely maker) that "Sheds" one of the A/C's on 30 amps.
I'm guessing you have the (Intelletec EMS) since you said the blower blows.
How to get around that one I do not know..
My rig did not have that device so i was able to get around the only one at a time on 30 restriction by runnng a pair of 12 GA leads to an outside compartmetn (Along with some 10 Ga for a 12 volt kob but that's another story.. Same compartment. it was DRY and Handy)
20 amp plug and socket and then on 30 amps th 2nd a/C was plugged into the parks' 20 amp outlet via a 2nd cord. Totaly independent of the RV.

My Bounder has the Intelletec system, and it will definitely run both a/c's at once. It will also run the converter, countertop ice maker and fridge at the same time. If I try and use the microwave or washer, then it'll shed the compressor on the rear a/c unit.

My Bounder has the Intelletec system, and it will definitely run both a/c's at once.
Typically that system inhibits the second a/c from starting its compressor if the first is already compressing. In other words, one a/c runs its fan alone while the other is using its compressor to chill air.

Typically that system inhibits the second a/c from starting its compressor if the first is already compressing. In other words, one a/c runs its fan alone while the other is using its compressor to chill air.
When I first fire them up, the rear kicks right on, the front fan comes on and then the compressor cycles 2 or 3 times until it stays on. There's a couple of indicator lights on the Intellitec unit that let you know when it's shedding the load.

That sounds somewhat like the start capacitor is failing on that A/C unit. I would replace both, start and run caps. They are rather inexpensive.

Most gererators are regulated to maintain a certian voltage. So..they increase the voltage under load. You could have a marginal A/C that won't start on a soft campground plug but does o.k. on the generator. Replace / add hard start caps?

New guy here, hello everyone. I have an 06 fleetwood terra, brochure says it has Denso Dual a/c set up, back on don't seen to be getting to cold and i have a chance to get a new dometic 13.5, would this work with current set up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom