Acceptance by RV parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbuff34

Hello,
I have a thousand questions and can't remember most of them.  Here are a couple though :-\ that you could kindly answer for me.  My "C" is an 88, in good condition, but I have heard and read about parks refusing older units.  I don't know what to expect??????
Also, I was going to join Good Sam's for their Road service coverage but having read some of the threads on it, I am not sure.  I did have a standard membership from them but found all I received was mail and a magazine.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciate.  I know I can get Road serevice through Canadian Automobile Assoc.
Thanks. Leo

Leo,

The "standard membership" with Good Sam doesn't provide emergency road service; You have to buy that in addition to the membership.

Although I don't recommend GS ERS because of their policy of inundating members with junk mail, when I had ERS coverage with them and needed service one time I was quite satisfied with the service.

Coach Net provides a more complete service without the junk mail, but you'd need to call or email them to see if they'd cover your class C.

Leo,

GS is a junk mail generator. Once started it's hard to get off their list. It can be done but it takes a lot of persistence. Coachnet is a good road service and they even provide help over the phone with appliance problems. They'll get a certified tech on line to try and talk you through the problem.

Many parks have a 10 year old rule. Most don't seem to enforce it. If your unit looks good I doubt you will have much trouble. I think the rule is there in case some seedy looking unit tries to enter the park they can refuse them. Not sure what would happen if they did that and other 10 year or older rigs were in the park. I'd think there would be some sort of law suit.

carbuff34 said:
.  I know I can get Road serevice through Canadian Automobile Assoc.

I do not know about CAA but AAA is way overpriced for RV road service.  There are several other sources of ERS as well, FMCA has a ERS provider they contract with,  In my case Workhorse provides ERS no extra charge (for a period of time) which happens to be the same ERS that is provided by my vehicle insurance contract (As it turns out)

Just like if you buy a new Chevy you get ERS automatically.... Via 1-800-chev-usa,  ERS though is AAAs they just tow you to the nearest Chevy Dealer instead of the tow service lot is all

John In Detroit said:
There are several other sources of ERS as well, FMCA has a ERS provider they contract with,

John:

FMCA is assoociated with Coachnet.

Jeff Cousins said:
John:

FMCA is assoociated with Coachnet.

I know, which is the same ERS that Workhorse and National Interstate use as well.  I have used them one time, they sent out a truck that was one size too small for the job but when we combined it's "Strong back" with my strong mind we got the job done, much to the surprise of the tow truck operator, who had been taught the wrong way to do the job.  Oh, well, I guess all those physics classes I took really were good for something :) (And it was not the first time I've used that knowledge either)

If you get a road service from a non-RV provider, e.g. AAA or CAA, make sure it covers your motorhome. In the US, AAA is a state-level organizations and some states do not cover RVs for towing and such (passenger cars only). Others do, but with limits on the amounts.  CAA may be he same at the provincial level.

The nice thing about Coach-net and Good Sam ERS is that they know they are dealing wih RVs and do their best to provide suitable services.  It doesn't always work right, since they are working through local tow truck operators and tire services, but they do their best.

We had a 1987 Class C that was well maintained and we never had a problem. We did have several campgrounds in Bullhead City say they wouldn't take anything over 10 years old without looking at it but they said ours was fine. I guess it gives them an excuse to turn away junk.

RV Roamer said:
If you get a road service from a non-RV provider, e.g. AAA or CAA, make sure it covers your motorhome. In the US, AAA is a state-level organizations and some states do not cover RVs for towing and such (passenger cars only). Others do, but with limits on the amounts. CAA may be he same at the provincial level.

You are quite correct with one exception, Calfornia has two AAAs:  The California State Automobile Association (CSAA-AAA) for northern and central California, and the Automoble Club of Southern California (ACSC-AAA) for that area.    I belong to the ACSC. 

The ACSC has several levels of membership for the purposes of roadside service.  I have the Premier - RV Service level.  It costs me $147 this is a about $50 over the normal level of service I would buy from the Club.  It includes 4 service calls on the RV above the 4 service calls on my other vehicles.    It provides for towing up to 200 miles and $1000 for trip interruption expenses.  The ACSC is probably the best AAA club in the US.  Its mapping program is superb, its travel and reservation service excellent, and, its road services saturate my part of the world.  So even tho I am not insured with the Club (I have USAA for that) I keep a membership.

Carl Lundquist said:
?The ACSC is probably the best AAA club in the US.? Its mapping program is superb, its travel and reservation service excellent, and, its road services saturate my part of the world.? So even tho I am not insured with the Club (I have USAA for that) I keep a membership.

AAA of Colorado is $143 for pretty much the same thing...RV coverage plus a second driver. And you're right about ACSC and its maps, best maps you can get anywhere. Before they finally started selling them, people used to beg us in the parks for the Indian Country, Lake Mead and Death Valley maps.

The SCAC county map series are superb pieces of cartography.  They not only cover paved roads, but also the dirt tracks and forest roads.  You can do an awful lot of backroads navigation with them.  They also do a beautiful job on the California national parks and even the others in the west.

Only reason we keep our AAA membership is for the maps and Tourbooks which are just full of useful info and places to visit.

I have GS ERS and a garbage can for junk mail the service is great had to use it twice, once in Colorado after leaving Laramie WY in a snow storm the Transmission went BYE BYE just past Cheyenne WY. We my Wife & 3 dogs broke down between Cheyenne and Fort Collins Co. I called and less than 30 mins latter help had arrived. You have to tell them your needs (car with trailer, Truck With 5er, Class A, ECT.) The next time was leaving Disneyland heading to Tucson made it to Gila Bend when the left rear tire blew out just happened to look in the rear view mirror and saw a puff of blue smoke. Again less than 30 mins help was there, so I?m all for GS ERS service I never received help anywhere near that from AAA. I also have there EA+ program which  is a great Medical plan in an emergency I hope I?m just wasting money on that one but you never know. Also GS has what they call Standby Sam?s if you are caught in a emergency and can not get your rig home they will take care of it for you for the cost of fuel. As you can see I have not been done wrong by GS hopefully that will never change!  8)

Carl Lundquist said:
You are quite correct with one exception, Calfornia has two AAAs:  The California State Automobile Association (CSAA-AAA) for northern and central California, and the Automoble Club of Southern California (ACSC-AAA) for that area.    I belong to the ACSC. 

There is at least one other state that has two AAAs too, I think it is MD but it might be MA, one of the east coast states.

Though I've never broken down there. I was part of a caravan and one of our members did, Wound up playing musical passangers and I brought back two of his passengars and he took one of mine.  That was a LONG day since we were driving back to Detroit.

Oxygen sensor went out on his ride... That was one sorry ride. Lots of problems, many designed in.  My dodge van made the trip with only one problem (flat tire) and I was prepared for that so it was no problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom