Accidental Soup, or soup for 15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Well, it's been kind of cool here in Quartzsite this week so I decided to whip up a pot of soup for the group. 

Started with a recipe from the magazine /Taste of Home/ the Comfort Food edition which is currently at check out in some stores.

IT was called Broccoli Wild Rice Soup and the original recipe called for
5 cups water, 1 pkg (six oz) Long Grain and Wild Rice mix, 1  can (10 3/4 oz) Condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups Milk, 1 Pkg (8oz) cream cheese, 1/4 tsp salt (i never use salt) 1 pkg (10oz) Frozen chopped Broccoli, thawed and 1 large Carrot-Shredded and a quarter cup of sliced toasted almonds for garnish (I omitted)

Well, first I bought 3 of everything save milk and in the case of the Broccoli, instead of 3 10 oz packages I got a 1 lb bag of Broccoli with Water Chestnuts and a 2nd pound of what I thought was chopped broccoli, but when I got home it was Okra.

Oh well, it's soup, There is not a lot you can do to mess up soup.

I also omitted the almonds and the salt, cut down on water (3x4=12 cups) and milk to make a heartier soup.

Final list of what went into the pot

12 cups water
3 pkges (6oz each) Long Grain and Wild Rice mix-Store brand (Albertsons)
3 cans (10 3/4 oz each) Condensed Cream of Chicken soup (Campbells)
about 1-2 cups Milk (Did not measure)
3 8oz packages of Cream Chease (Philidipha)
I do not use salt
1 pound Frozen Okra, thawed and sliced
3 large carrots, sliced
I omitted the almonds

In a large (12qt in this case, though 10 would have worked too) Sauce pan or Stock pot combine the water and rice mix, seasoning and all, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.  While simmering peal and slice carrots, thaw and slice Okra and Thaw Broccoli (microwave defrost cycle)

Add soup, milk, cream cheese and stir until cheese is melted

Add Veggies and cook over medium-low heat till carrots are tender

Yeild of the original recipe is six so this should give about 15 standard servings.

I provided cups and spoons so everybody got as much as they wanted and a bit left over for my lunch

You know,, Turned out rather good considering that the Okra was an accident!!!!

The number of folks who have commented on how good that soup was is amazing.. Some many times.

Guess I should make more mistakes like that :)

In the kitchen, I'm the adventurer  Wife can cook but she more or less sticks to what she knows.  I love to try new stuff.

Sometimes (like this) it works well.

I'm also fairly good at looking at what's on hand and seeing what can replace what's missing.

Though in this case... Choices were very limited,,,, So I went with what I had.

Back
Top Bottom