Addicted to Organizing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex-Calif

How long does this go on? :rolleyes:

Since moving aboard in January it seems like once a month I am pulling everything out of the cabin cabinets and changing my storage plan.

I'm learning a lot about what Items I get to frequently and what items go into "medium" storage - i.e. under dinette seats, under the couch and under the bed. Deep storage is in the basement.

For you liveaboards, does this go on forever or will I be satisfied some day - LOL... :D

Since moving aboard in January it seems like once a month I am pulling everything out of the cabin cabinets and changing my storage plan.

I'm learning a lot about what Items I get to frequently and what items go into "medium" storage - i.e. under dinette seats, under the couch and under the bed. Deep storage is in the basement.

For you liveaboards, does this go on forever or will I be satisfied some day - LOL... :D
Based on your actions so far I would posit you will never be happy with your storage situation. I am just the opposite. I have crap thrown and stuffed everywhere. That’s why I have 20 of everything, because instead of really looking for that tool I just buy another one. :cool:

When we moved into our current coach we stored things where they fit in general relation to where they'll be used and how often. Over time, some items decided they wanted to be some place else, and we just let them. ;)

In our second year in our first coach, we hired a professional organizer. I was opposed, my bride adamant. Of course, it turned out to be both time and money well spent.
She came with a variety of inexpensive containers, racks, hooks, and such in a variety of shapes and sizes. Organized stuff into those and labeled them on multiple sides.
One enduring lesson was her 80% rule: Don’t fill any cabinet, drawer, shelf, bay, whatever more than 80%. If you do, things get buried or hidden and you’ll forever be removing half the contents to get to something or, if you’re like me, you’ll forget where something is and be clawing through several cabinets, drawers, shelves, bays, whatevers, to find something.
My super power is hanging on to something for years and finally getting rid of it, one week before I need it… had to learn to resist giving into that.

One enduring lesson was her 80% rule: Don’t fill any cabinet, drawer, shelf, bay, whatever more than 80%. If you do, things get buried or hidden and you’ll forever be removing half the contents to get to something or, if you’re like me, you’ll forget where something is and be clawing through several cabinets, drawers, shelves, bays, whatevers, to find something.
Oh heck yeah - That's me. I brought a bunch of stuff - mostly food items - to the RV when I closed the house. I unpacked all the pantry items yesterday and reorganized. I have way too many spices, 3 jars of flour and 4 boxes of onion soup mix for some reason. I also suspect the mac & cheese is procreating in the dark - LOL...

My super power is hanging on to something for years and finally getting rid of it, one week before I need it… had to learn to resist giving into that.
Anyone need a tape measure? I have like 5 of them. 3 multi-meters, two cordless drills - LOL...

Based on your actions so far I would posit you will never be happy with your storage situation. I am just the opposite. I have crap thrown and stuffed everywhere. That’s why I have 20 of everything, because instead of really looking for that tool I just buy another one. :cool:
That sounds like my DH. His DW (that's me) finds it very stressful. At some point there will be a huge rebellion resulting in a major purging.

I had my RV sense 2015. Then I added a drawer. Made a dresser in the closet. Made the pantry shelves bigger. Got all sizes of storage containers and more. 2021 added hanging storage container in storage area. Took out a drawer under the bed and made it a big storage area. Got smaller storage containers. added a soap dish. 2021 2022 I want to make a drawer under the seat bigger. Add a cabinet in the bath room. Add shelfs in the medicine cabinet. What I want? When we leave a campground I don't want to move stuff.

Professional Organiser? Wow, who'd have thunk? 😯

I know, right? Like I said, I was opposed, my bride adamant… (so you know how that went 😉.) Turns out (of course), she was right.

Very much worth the time and cost. ‘Home and business organizing’ was the service advertised. We were her first RV client and she really enjoyed the special challenge(s) that presented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom