Adding a dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briedayr

Hi All, very new to RVing but have ended up on this forum a lot by googling stuff I don't know so I thought I might as well join the forum. Newbie question for anyone that can answer: I have a 1996 Newmar Kountry Star that didn't come with a dishwasher. I want to put in a dishwasher, how do I know if I can? What water things and power things should I be looking for? I know it needs to be 120volts with a 20amp. I will in all likelihood get someone to install it, but before I buy the dishwasher (currently on sale), I want to make sure I can even put it in. I'm sure I've just evidenced how much I don't know about all this stuff, but please be gentle with me and thank you for any answers, guidance!

Brie

My first question is what type of RVing are you planning. If you are planning to go from power pole to power pole and by that I mean water and sewer available, will be no problum. IMO if you are planning many days boondocking then a waste of water and waste tank space.

Have you considered a portable counter top dishwasher like this one https://www.amazon.com/NJTFHU-Countertop-Dishwashers-Dishwasher-Apartment-US/dp/B08Q35YGRQ/ that has its own built in water reservoir or one that connects to the kitchen sink faucet like https://www.amazon.com/SPT-SD-2224DS-Countertop-Dishwasher-Silver/dp/B010GO501I/ 

I had an SPT brand unit similar the second one about 20 years ago, in fact I may still have it in my shed, from when I was living in a small apartment for a short period of time, it worked fairly well for what it was, though was very limited on capacity, it was mostly ok for 1 or maybe 2 people for eating utensils, plates, bowls, etc. the problem was trying to wash pots and pans, which resulted in a either / or option as there might be room for the pots and pans, but not for the plates and glassware at the same time.

When I bought my Country Coach I had the dealer install a dish washer before I picked it up./

They installed it in the location where the gas oven had been under the cook top and just to the left and below the sink.

The water, drain and electric was available.  I think that they used an available 110 outlet and did not put it on another circuit breaker.  You would usually not use it at the same time as the microwave.

I almost never used it and if doing it over again I would leave the oven instead of the dish washer.

However this decision is kind of like the similar issue of clothes washer/dryer or not.  Actually the washer/dryer got much more use.

The dish washer is behind the red and blue dish towels in the pictures.

Good Luck whatever you do.

Attachments

• r021.jpg
    r021.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 29
  • r32.jpg
    r32.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 27
I think I would start that project by going around and finding someone who will install it.

Then I would ask THEM what dishwasher to buy.

If you can't find someone to install it there's no sense in buying the dishwasher.

HueyPilotVN said:
They installed it in the location where the gas oven had been under the cook top and just to the left and below the sink.

Location and what you would loose were going to be my concerns--I could probably live with loosing an oven since we use the microwave a lot.  I was thinking about losing cabinet space and that would be bad.  And yeah the other thing was it needs to be near a drain, which would really limit your location options.

For me though, we travel very light.  Just a couple of bowls and a couple of plates, plus some disposables.  We wouldn't have enough stuff to make a DW worthwhile (if we had a MH, which we don't).

I could see though that if you had enough stuff a DW might actually save water/tank space.

Isaac-1 said:
Have you considered a portable counter top dishwasher like this one https://www.amazon.com/NJTFHU-Countertop-Dishwashers-Dishwasher-Apartment-US/dp/B08Q35YGRQ/ that has its own built in water reservoir or one that connects to the kitchen sink faucet like https://www.amazon.com/SPT-SD-2224DS-Countertop-Dishwasher-Silver/dp/B010GO501I/ 

I was going to let this go, but can't resist.  The countertop one offers free installation!  ;D

Goodspike said:
I could see though that if you had enough stuff a DW might actually save water/tank space.

I often see posters on this site refer to their "Dear Wife" as DW, so I guess Dear wife and Dishwasher are synonymous.

Now if Renae was reading this I might have to duck.

Depends on your preferences and components. Marlene preferred laundromats to a built in washer/dryer, so when our new 2002 coach came standard with a w/d, the first thing she did was to have the unit replaced with a dishwasher. Plumbing and electrical all in place.

HueyPilotVN said:
I often see posters on this site refer to their "Dear Wife" as DW, so I guess Dear wife and Dishwasher are synonymous.

Now if Renae was reading this I might have to duck.

I was going to say that installing a Dish Washer (DW) is a lot of work cause you got to meet her. Woo her. Wed her and then install her.. Kind of expensive too.

Re Laundromat v/s home Washer Dryer.

Well I've been using park Laundry for years. Loves or Flying J a few times. and now that I'm in an apartment the apartment facility once.

Sprung for a MINI 1.6 CF washer/spinner (twin tub)  and when I did my first load (Whites) Earlier this week I was amazed.. They came out.. WHITE..  first time .. EVER.

Very happy with it.  Here in the apartment management is a bit paranoid about "Moisture incidents" like water spills so for operation I set the unit in the bath tub.. I "upgraded" the shower to a dual head (Fixed/oxygenics body spa hand held from the RV) and use the Shower to fill it. Drain it into the tub.. So far I've emptied my laundry basket have two sheets and a pillowcase and one dish towel to go.    That's set for Tomorrow.

OH.  Finishing drying.  The Spinner SPINS..  The Whites line dried (3 five foot lines hung over the tub with a small 9VDC fan moving air in the area) before the next load was ready to hang (Due to how long it takes me to move to the next step about 2 hours hang time) Some things (My "Warm" sweater, bath towels, One pair of heavy trousers) took a bit longer but I timed it so they hung dry overnight.. 

My rv did not have a dishwasher. I have had hOmeLabs dishwasher for a couple months now and it is one of my best purchases in the past decade. Although, if food has been stuck to your dishes for days, or it is a substance that is hard to get off, this dishwasher does have little hands that will scrub it off. If you are interested in about hOmeLabs. Please read it:
https://www.riversidetrailer.com/best-rv-dishwashers/

I live in a 5th wheel RV and the Farberware dishwasher is perfect for one person. Very compact, efficient and extraordinarily quiet, it sits on my kitchen counter directly behind the sink. This dishwasher has exceeded my expectations.

Back
Top Bottom