Adding an extra RV fridge wall vent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2kGeorgieBoy

I have been toying with the idea of adding an extra, high mounted outside wall vent to increase air flow over the coils and cooling fins on our Norcold fridge. Has anybody ever done this and what were the results? It's not a major or expensive project, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble.

Since you don?t have a slide I presume your existing top vent is a roof vent, correct? If so, I would concentrate on ensuring the baffling was correct. After that, I would add exhaust fans, either manually or automatically controlled. Just adding another vent will still rely on convection to move air, which is insufficient at times.

I agree, adding an additional fan or two should help alot. 

Hard to assess. May not help and could even hurt a bit if the flow is altered away from the roof.  The ideal air venting path is a chimney, i.e. as straight up as possible (heat rises).  If you have fridge heat problems, odds are it is missing or improper baffles and/or a congested air path (wires, nests, etc in what should be an open tunnel).  I've also seen roof vent screens clogged with leaves or dirt. I would be looking more at those things than toward a sidewall vent.

RV manufacturers are notorious for ignoring the component manufacturers installation instructions and fridges and furnaces are often very sloppily installed.  The most effective things to do include: (1) Streamlining the air path to eliminate disruptions, (2) Add baffles to help direct flow (see fridge makers install instructions), (3) Seal/insulate around the back edges to keep hot air away from top & sides of the fridge box, and (4) Add fan(s) if not already equipped.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for the input, everybody. The problem I was concerned about had to do with a rather sudden increase in temperature in the lower unit of the fridge. It had been working really good for quite a while and about 2 months ago, it started heating up,  reaching as much as 60F sometimes. Anyway, I removed and cleaned the gas orifice and burner, thinking this would help. No joy. The freezer stayed right around 5-6 degrees, but lower unit was heating up. We had a spell of hot weather so I thought maybe lack of air flow. I installed a new circulating fan, replacing the one already there. No joy. That's when I started thinking about adding another vent.

Fast forward to today. I installed a new thermister early this morning and still no help. After watching a number of Youtube videos, I decided to try running the unit on 120V. Had been using propane all along. (Flame looked good). Lower unit started out at around 50 degrees early afternoon. Now, at 8:40 pm, it is sitting at 28 degrees!

I've decided to replace the orifice and burner which should be here Monday. I guess, the flame I was seeing was not enough to do the trick. Even though I had cleaned the orifice and burner, I guess 18 years has taken it's toll. I had never used the 120v system as the propane has always worked for us. Didn't know whhat to expect. But, I'm a happy camper now.

Again, thanks for the input.

We like happy (and relatively inexpensive) endings  :))

never used the electric?  I find that interesting because I always do when I have the chance...because I have to refill and pay for the LP, but electric is included in the camp site fee I'm already paying.... even though it's like an eye dropper use of the LP, still, it's trouble and money...

So I have to ask why not ever electric before now?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom