Admin Question... software used here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Rusty_

I've been considering setting up an info page for local news, ect. I like the format here, and am wondering what software drives the page?

I don't know anything about this web site, but if you click on the browser "source" or "source code" ... usually under developer tools (the three bars or the three dots in the upper right corner), you can see the source code for the page.

I worked in information technology for the last 30 years before retiring as a software tester for a government sponsored financial system. It was a private company, but contracted by Uncle Sam.

The flag ship web site was put together and built out of some pretty simple HTML style code. But .... the web site was only an interface between the consumer and the back end systems. The data bases, the main frames, the routers, the massive amount of "services" programming to pull different parts of the web page into view was beyond insane. There were about 15 or 20 different layers of processes that each bit of information had to pass through before it was displayed on the web page. Any one of those "services" fail and the consumer facing page would fail.

So, what I'm saying is... on the surface this web page may look pretty simple. But behind what you see, is probably a pretty complex bit of technology going on. No doubt, the data contained is stored in a mammoth data base, or probably many, many relational data bases that all come together on the page. Behind the scenes, is probably pretty complex code the pulls all that information out of the data base to present it in a fashion, we the consumer, can actually read and make sense of.

Again, I have no clue how this web site works. But if looking for a simple place to store your information, a journal, or something like that ... well .... there's always Amazon Web Services!

So, what I'm saying is... on the surface this web page may look pretty simple. But behind what you see, is probably a pretty complex bit of technology going on. No doubt, the data contained is stored in a mammoth data base, or probably many, many relational data bases that all come together on the page. Behind the scenes, is probably pretty complex code the pulls all that information out of the data base to present it in a fashion, we the consumer, can actually read and make sense of.
While the underlying code is indeed rather complex, for the most part all of that is hidden from most forum hosts and they never need to see it.

I wouldn't say it's trivial to set ka forum like this up-- especially as logical and efficient as this site is-- but it's quite doable. Having looked at a number of forum software programs myself, I'd put Xenforo at the top of my list. HUGE improvement over the previous SMF platform.

I have no insight as to how our current forum was set up initially but being able to successfully import all previous threads/messages might have been a bit of a challenge, but a vital part of the transition. Great job to all involved.

I've been considering setting up an info page for local news, ect. I like the format here, and am wondering what software drives the page?
I previously answered this question via the Help Desk. As said, we're currently running on Xenforo. You have to buy a license, good for a year. You can continue running the software after the license expires, but you won't get updates or support unless/until the license is renewed.

There are open source/free forum packages available. Do you have a domain name and a web host? Most hosting packages offer a large choice of forum software (and others), and the ability for a 1-click install.

Last edited:
... being able to successfully import all previous threads/messages might have been a bit of a challenge, but a vital part of the transition.
It took the XF team a few years to come up with a migration tool to import all the old messages. The early SMF/XF migration tools didn't work well, and that was one reason I previously held off.

Just curious if you really want to run it as a forum, or as an info/news web page/site. If you don't need the continual interactive discussions of a forum, you might consider a blogging software package, such as Wordpress. You'll still need a domain name and a web host, but the Wordpress software is free, and a 1-click install will be available via your web host.

I've used various web site and forum software packages but, if I want to quickly spin up a simple web site, Wordpress is hard to beat.

I hesitated to post this suggestion, but have you considered a public or private Facebook group? You don't need to worry about domain name registration or web hosting, or installing any software. The format works well as a "what's new?" resource, but it's hard to find stuff previously posted.

Did I mention that I hate Facebook?

Rusty,
Just checking - did you see my (private) response to your (private) conversation yesterday?

A couple of other options involve buying a hosted version of the software; They save you the hassle of web hosting and software install/maintenance, but they're not inexpensive. e.g.:

Xenforo Cloud
wordpress hosted

IO Groups (Groups.IO) also provides a simple but convenient post & response interface and includes an email option for those who aren't interested in interactive. It's low cost too. Avoids most of the Facebook group pitfalls.

Rusty,
Just checking - did you see my (private) response to your (private) conversation yesterday?
I don't really know? I saw the # on the mail icon, and it showed 2 but only one was there. I typically don't log in and out each time, just reopen the window. Maybe the system doesn't update the msg box until you leave and come back in..

I don't really know? I saw the # on the mail icon, and it showed 2 but only one was there. I typically don't log in and out each time, just reopen the window. Maybe the system doesn't update the msg box until you leave and come back in..
Oops, apologies, I missed your reply here. When you click the envelope icon, there's an option down below to Show all. I actually replied to two of your private conversations, although they were duplicates. But you didn't miss much.

Let us know if you need more help. Meanwhile, I'd be curious which route you decided to take.

IO Groups (Groups.IO) also provides a simple but convenient post & response interface and includes an email option for those who aren't interested in interactive. It's low cost too. Avoids most of the Facebook group pitfalls.

To add a 3rd ✅, behind Gary and Tom…. I use groups.io for admin discussions for a meetup.com group I organize. Its free for what I’m doing, allows topic organizaion + discussion. I could see using it to publish stories and then allowing discussion among a fixed audience.

Reactions: Tom
I use groups.io for admin discussions for a meetup.com group I organize. Its free for what I’m doing, allows topic organizaion + discussion. I could see using it to publish stories and then allowing discussion among a fixed audience.
Sounds like a good option.

IO groups (new to me) are email groups, which would work well for 1-way outbound news sites, which I'm assuming the OP really needs.

Anything beyond 1-way costs $$ but scaleable:
When Yahoo decided to end the Yahoo Groups web site, many groups, including the Winnebago View/Navion site, ported over to iO Groups. It matches the old Yahoo format and there was porting software that made the move very easy.

The software that RVForum runs on is the best I have ever seen. While I have a few minor issues with it, it handles photos better/easier than any board I have ever seen.

Charles

Reactions: Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom