Adobe Lightroom beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Chet recently made us aware of Adobe Lightroom beta for Mac. The beta is now available for Windows at Adobe's web site. The intent of the beta is to allow photographers to provide input to the features of Adobe's next digital image software.

Hi Chet,

Didn't mean to steal your thunder. I received the email notification a couple of days ago and waited before dowloading and posting. I've only just begun to scratch the surface of the application and watched one of the videos - definitely informative.

BTW do you know if "Adobe Pro Photography Evangelist" George Jardine is related to Doug Jardine here on the forum? He sure makes it easy to watch/listen to the video.

Tom said:
BTW do you know if "Adobe Pro Photography Evangelist" George Jardine is related to Doug Jardine here on the forum? He sure makes it easy to watch/listen to the video.

Have no idea if there is any connection.

BTW, Adobe has a series of 9--maybe 10 now--of PodCasts discussing this program and uses. You can download them from the APPLE store at www.apple.com  and listen to them if yiou have iTunes istalled on your computer. They're free.

Chet18013

Chet,

I've searched and looked the hard way on Apple's site, but can't find those podcasts; Obviously operator error on my part. Any chance you could give me a link directly to the download(s)?

Any idea why it won't import large files? I have several stitched pano shots, some created by myself and some by others, that LR says are "too big" to import.

TIA.

Actuallly I download the PodCasts with iTunes. You have to be connected to the internet, start iTunes and select Music Store.  Right below the header "Inside the Music Store" clik on PodCasts,  type in "Lightroom" in the search box on the upper right and you've got it.

Chet18013

No relation, Tom;  but I've not done a detailed genealogical review ;D

Doug

Thanks Doug. The name and the photography expertise just seemed more than a concidence.

Hi Tom & Chet,

Today I downloaded and installed the Beta of Lightroom.

Aside from the fact that on my machine it is much slower than either Adobe's ACR or Pixmantec's RAW Shooter Pro, it strikes me as having a lot of potential. 

I find it has a number of things that prompted me to buy RAW Shooter (even though I also continue to use ACR) and now that I've seen Lightroom I the reasons for Adobe buying the rights to all Pixmantec property are more clear to me.

Ciao,

Doug

Keep the faith with it, Doug. Speed will definitely improve when they compile it for final release. I'm sure there are lots of unused "hooks" that are slowing it down now. It has become my program of choice.  I'm sure we'll see RawShooter intergrated into Lighroom in the future. There is to much discussion on the forums about it for Adobe to ignore it. I especially like the easy of library management and keyword useage.

Chet18013

DougJ said:
....it is much slower than either Adobe's ACR or Pixmantec's RAW Shooter Pro....

Doug, as Chet mentioned, they'll optimize the speed in the final release. There's been quite a bit of discussion on this point in the LightRoom beta forum.

Received the email yesterday Chet, but their site was down for maintenance last evening. I'll hop over there to download the update this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Chet18013 said:
Adobe has just released beta #4 of Lightroom for both the APPLE and PC. Go to:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

to get it. It sure is a giant step of an improvement over B3.

And it's still free!!

Chet18013

I downloaded it, Chet, and it is, as you say, a giant improvement over B3.  \I've not yet printed anything that I've worked up with LR-B3, but I'll be interested to see if the very slight (red) colour cast is visible in the prints, as it was with B3 on my equipment, and which a number of folk raised on the feedback site.

Also, about being free: I think you and I understand that ultimately it won't be free since B3 was to expire (ie, B3 would cease to function) in Jan 2007 and I note that B4 on my equipment is to expire in Feb 2007, although when I wanted to double check this date I can't find where it is.

Ciao,

Doug

I've found that "gimp" will do more and it is for free. I downloaded the "Lightroom and it clobbered my Nikon Viewer....so I uninstalled it. The little time that I played around with the LR, it looked to be fine but a subset of Photoshop. Interested in how much they will charge when it hits the market...................

DougJ said:
I downloaded it, Chet, and it is, as you say, a giant improvement over B3.  \I've not yet printed anything that I've worked up with LR-B3, but I'll be interested to see if the very slight (red) colour cast is visible in the prints, as it was with B3 on my equipment, and which a number of folk raised on the feedback site.

Also, about being free: I think you and I understand that ultimately it won't be free since B3 was to expire (ie, B3 would cease to function) in Jan 2007 and I note that B4 on my equipment is to expire in Feb 2007, although when I wanted to double check this date I can't find where it is.

Ciao,

Doug

I've been doing some ink tessting for a supplier and have found that LR printing is right on for me.  I have been setting all my color settings to Adobe RGB and am using a calibrated system.

Chet18013

I've been doing some ink tessting for a supplier and have found that LR printing is right on for me.  I have been setting all my color settings to Adobe RGB and am using a calibrated system.

I too use a calibrated system, but so far I've not really done much with Beta4, and certainly not enough to discover if my old complaint of the red cast holds true for Beta4.

Mind you, I am playing with Beta4 from time to time and I do like the "develop" module.  But truth to tell, even after doing work on an image with Beta4 I still export it to PS1 and finish up with that application.

Ciao,

Doug

PS  Did get Gods II and whipped through it at higher speed, reverting to normal speed any time I spotted the ultralight.

Back
Top Bottom