Advice for Buying a Popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelfamily

Hi,

I'm new to RVing but considering buying a used pop up for my family of 5.  I've been looking at used pop ups and am curious if it's a bad idea to buy an older model (15 years or older)?  I'd like to spend under $5k, but I don't want to end up with something that will be a money pit or take a tremendous amount of time and work.  Does this exist in my price range?  Any other advice that you have on purchased a used pop up for a family new to RVing is appreciated.

Thanks,

Alissa

We have a 1993 palomino filly popup. We found it on Craigslist for $950. We've had it 7 years or so. It has actually worked out really well for us. Our kids are 8 and 5. We take it out a couple times a year.

It does have some staining on the canvas. I would say staining or rips/tears on the canvas are going to be your biggest issues looking for a used one. Also check the condition of the caulking and make sure it closes securely without any gaps.

I would check Craigslist in your area. Go look at some and have the sellers open and close it for you. It will probably have some bumps and bruises but in your price range I think you could find a really nice one.

When you have the seller open it and set it up completely, check the condition of the snaps, canvass, vinyl windows and zippers. Also check the floor for soft spots.

I like the idea of pop up campers, though they are essentially really expensive tents on wheels.  Unfortunately in my experience they tend to be one of the worst buys in used RV's they are often way over priced, and in need of substantial repairs when they do show up on the market, at least in my area.

We had various pop ups for 20 years. It is a great way to really camp while sleeping off the ground. If you find one in your price range, check the canvas carefully first including under the beds. Mold and mildew are bad for you and bad for the fabric; I would walk if it had bad canvas. Then look at the roof and sides. Walk away from any water damage.

The biggest problems with tent trailers besides damaged canvas is floor rot, and sagging roofs.  Any soft spots in the floor walk away.  Good used tent trailers van be had for 3000 ot less.  Craigslist usually has a bunch this time of year

Coleman made some popups with plastic roofs which had lots of problems. I would avoid those.

I considered pop-ups when transitioning from tent camping. Basically it most are just a step up from tents.

I then started looking at 20-24 foot trailers.  I found several excellent candidates in the $4-$5k range.

Then some how I ended up buying a Class A - LOL...

We went from a Class A to a popup. We moved to the country and the A couldn't physically make the turns on the narrow roads. A popup with A/C, furnace, fridge/freezer, sink, and portapotty is almost too civilized for my tastes. My wife likes her creature comforts so we mainly use the shorter wheelbase Class C which can make the turns but we still use the popup a couple times a year cause it will go anywhere the truck will go. And way cheaper.

TheBar said:
Coleman made some popups with plastic roofs which had lots of problems. I would avoid those.
Good point. These are easy to spot because the roof has hills and valleys that are very obvious. Many Coleman?s are great, but watch for this symptom.

Back
Top Bottom