Advice for Route - Southern Utah to Grand Tetons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Hi Folks

Seems I'm slowlyyyyy making my way north from being in Arizona since January.  Ended up spending 5 weeks in Camp Verde/Sedona area with so much to do - especially hikes. I've planned things out and will hopefully be boondocking outside Tusayan,  AZ at the Grand Canyon and use the shuttle to visit the south rim -- so many more activities and hikes than last time I was there, then I'm on the North Rim for 9 days, and then in Kanab, UT through July 7.  While there, I'm signed up to spend some time volunteering at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab.

My questions are about getting from Kanab to Grand Tetons - hopefully Gros Ventre CG off Hiwy 191. 

Is Hiwy 89 from Kanab, north to Sevier, UT and junction with I70 doable with the TT.  I just don't know the road conditions on this stretch.  I'm not too concerned about grades.

I would then take I70 west in Sevier, UT to I15 and head north, speeding my way through Salt Lake City and heading east from the city on I84 to I80 to Rock Springs, WY and go north on Hiwy 191 to final destination.  So, is Hiwy 191 also doable with the TT?

I wanted to check this route before I seriously looked into places to stop/stay/visit on the way.  If I don't get myself in gear, I'll end up in southern Utah all summer!

If anyone would like to recommend a good BLM or FS site for a 32 foot trailer along this route, your suggestions would be most welcome.

Has anyone boondocked on FS Roads 302 or 306 or 328 outside Tusayan?  FS Ranger said there are plenty of places but you really can't tell from Google Earth what roads are like.  We'll see!

TIA
Linda

Dreamsend said:
Has anyone boondocked on FS Roads 302 or 306 or 328 outside Tusayan?  FS Ranger said there are plenty of places but you really can't tell from Google Earth what roads are like.  We'll see!
I have spent dozens of days boondocking outside of Tusayan. My favorite spot is off Long Jim Loop about a half a mile after you leave Tusayan.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Long+Jim+Loop,+Tusayan,+AZ+86023/@35.9785909,-112.139272,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87331bc296c25315:0x56d3c85de514524a!8m2!3d35.9785865!4d-112.1305173

Your route is fine. But why are you going east to 191. Out of Evanston you can take SR 89 north (this goes back into Idaho and is SR16 in ID) to US 89 north to 191 north.
Or just stay on I15 to Idaho Falls and take 26 east to 191. I've done all three depending I where I was coming from and my mood for the day.

Also from Sevier you can also head east (really north) to to 89/50 north to Salina. At Salina you can take 50 over to I15 or continue north on 89 to Gunnison, there take SR26 to I15 near Nephi.

We love Gros Ventre.

ken

What Ken said.  I-15 to Idaho Falls.  Worst part of the drive will be traffic and construction from Provo north to Ogden.  Best not done during the rush hour  ;)

Unless you want to visit Evanston, WY.  We?re a ?border town?, so lots of fireworks, liquor stores, lottery tickets, etc.  Phillips RV Park, on Bear River Drive, is doable.  Loaf and Jug is usually the best deal for fuel.  Hwy 89 north is 2-lane, 65 speed limit.  North through Star Valley to Alpine and Jackson might be more interesting than interstate.

Safe travels!

Can't help  you with your route, but I've got an awesome boondocking spot at the North Rim of the Canyon.  We camp hosted up there for a couple of years and found lots of spots, but this one is close to the hwy and really nice.  If we ever go back, that's where we're parking.

Forest road 213 turns off of HWY 67 to the east about 3 miles before you reach the Kaibab Lodge and DeMotte Campground.  Go around 1/8 of a mile and you'll see a trail branching off to the right.  It comes out right on the edge of a big meadow and there's room for 4 or 5 big coaches along the edge of the tree line.  My bro-in-law stayed there in his 35' Winnie and he said every morning he took his coffee out in front of the coach and watched from 1 to15 deer have their breakfast while he ate his.

My other favorite spot is like 14 miles down a gravel road, at Marble View, but I won't take my coach that far off the pavement.

richclover said:
What Ken said.  I-15 to Idaho Falls.  Worst part of the drive will be traffic and construction from Provo north to Ogden.  Best not done during the rush hour  ;)

Unless you want to visit Evanston, WY.  We?re a ?border town?, so lots of fireworks, liquor stores, lottery tickets, etc.  Phillips RV Park, on Bear River Drive, is doable.  Loaf and Jug is usually the best deal for fuel.  Hwy 89 north is 2-lane, 65 speed limit.  North through Star Valley to Alpine and Jackson might be more interesting than interstate.

Safe travels!
I third this recommendation. Make sure you hit the south end of SLC area around 9-10. Then you will cruise right through the 75 miles of urban freeway easily. Stay on I-15, not one of the I-215 alternatives. We have done both routes above, and both are scenic.

Thank you all for the great suggestions on routes and on dispersed camp sites!  This info is tremendously helpful.  It's good to know what other secondary roads can get me east to Hiwy 191 from I15.

I'll check out the alternative route suggestions in the next few days.  I don't mind interstates, and I don't mind secondary highways, except that I do get yansy on 2-lane roads when I'm traveling at 60 mph and the normal traffic behind me wants to travel at 65-70 mph, so in that regard interstates are better as folks can get around me easier.  As far as scenery, I find I can only take in the big picture as I drive with the trailer.  Later, when I'm out with just the truck, I can enjoy the sights better.

Seilerbird - the ranger also mentioned Long Jim Loop road as having some good spots.  Thanks much.

Old Crow - The spot sounds like heaven - I'll need to check the North Rim motor use vehicle map to try to locate the road to see if camping is till allowed.

Yes, I've done the SLC interstates - that's where I purchased the trailer, so my VERY first experience towing was getting north on I15 in pouring rain!  Phoenix, Denver/Colorado Springs, etc. -- none of them are fun!  That's why I mentioned "speeding through SLC" - meaning not going fast, but just getting it over with.

You'all came through once again, so many thanks for all your help.  It is invaluable.

Linda

Linda, we are about the same length as you and Steve took the trailer to Long Jim and said it was great, plenty of space to turn!

I would second the 89 north. It's a beautiful road and the times we have been on it not too busy and plenty of passing places for folk need to get by.

One thing I will mention is the road from Victor back down to Jackson is a steep one,  perfectly doable but you need to obviously watch the brakes.

We will be up there in July so if you will still be there let me know and we can grab a coffee, or a margarita  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom