Advice needed on best tow bar & install on Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezmark

Trying to plan ahead a little. I have decided that a 4wd Jeep - probably a 1990's Wrangler or possibly a CJ with a hard top will be our toad. What is involved in attaching a bar to the front and can I do it myself without welding? There seem to be a lot of options for a tow bar - what are some of the best and why. Thanks for any help!

Usually, the tow bar manufacturer sells a "baseplate" that attaches to the towed vehicle and the tow bar attaches to the motorhome via the tow hitch receiver. The method of attaching the baseplate will vary by manufacturer, but more specifically by make/model of towed vehicle. I'm not familiar with how they attach to Jeeps, but FYI check out this illustrated article in our library describing how I attached a Roadmaster baseplate & tow bar to our Suburban.  *

Roadmaster and Apollo Blue Ox both make good tow bars. Just be sure to get one that's rated to handle the weight of your tow vehicle.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

Roadmaster and Apollo both make good tow bars.

Apollo is only one model in the Blue Ox full line of towing products.

Thanks for the correction Ned. My brain said Blue Ox, but my fingers typed Apollo. Doesn't change the intent of my message (i.e. that there's more than one good brand out there, although we've been very happy with our Roadmaster Black Hawk).

Anyone care to upload one or more photos illustrating how your brand of baseplate attaches to your make/model of towed car?

If you go here and select your vehicle manufacturer, you can download a PDF of the installation instructions for every base plate that Blue Ox makes, complete with photographs.

I would assume that Roadmaster has a similar page but haven't looked.

If you read my article, you'd see that Roadmaster's installation instructions for my baseplate/car combination didn't work and I described how I made it work.

When I installed the Baseplate on the GC the roadmaster instructions were excellen enve down to the removal of some material on the skid plate under the radiator.

Glad to hear it Ron, although that wasn't my experience. The RM tech guys were a cross between prima donnas and downright arrogant.

Do you have photos of your Jeep installation?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom