Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slushbilly

Hello,
I am in need of some advice for my 2000 jayco 312 eagle trailer. I bought this trailer a year ago. It was already parked on a seasonal site. The site cost from last year to this year has increased by an additional $1500. I am thinking about pulling this camper out and finding a new place to go. Since this trailer has been parked for several years without moving, what would I need to look at doing to get this back on the road? I am concerned about tires, bearings, electric brakes and such. Would RV service centers be willing to come to the site and check it over? What would you all do in this situation. Has anyone been in a situation like this?Selling the camper on the site is not an option because the owner wants all seasonals gone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello,
I am in need of some advice for my 2000 jayco 312 eagle trailer. I bought this trailer a year ago. It was already parked on a seasonal site. The site cost from last year to this year has increased by an additional $1500. I am thinking about pulling this camper out and finding a new place to go. Since this trailer has been parked for several years without moving, what would I need to look at doing to get this back on the road? I am concerned about tires, bearings, electric brakes and such. Would RV service centers be willing to come to the site and check it over? What would you all do in this situation. Has anyone been in a situation like this?Selling the camper on the site is not an option because the owner wants all seasonals gone. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.
As far as the tires, look at the manufacturer date code. How far will you be towing it. Just a few miles, I wouldn’t worry about tires. It would be good to make sure the brakes are good and adjusted properly. If you are going to pull the drums to inspect the brakes, you might as well repack the bearings.

Since I don't know much about servicing these brake systems, I would hope I can get a company to come out and look at it. I plan on staying in the area so its not going to move too far. I will need to take a closer look at the tires the next time im there. Thanks for your response.

It's 22 years old. You have to weigh what it might cost to get roadworthy vs what you paid vs paying the extra $125/month.

I'd start by finding the alternate location and compare pricing since that appears to be a major incentive to leaving - let's make sure you can find something acceptable and then let's work on getting the rig checked out and moved to the new spot...

So to any seasonals here. What is the going annual rate where you are? I have water, power, and winter storage included with this price.

Any idea how long it has been sitting there?

To get an idea what you are looking at I would check the date codes on the tires and look at them for weather cracking.

If you have one and if it were me I would get a 4 ton bottle jack and jack one side or at least one wheel and rotate the tire looking for binding, gritty sounds etc.

You may find a mobile guy to do this or if the above checks are "reasonable" I would inflate the tires to proper pressure and tow it to the nearest folks that can/will look at the whole axle/brake systems.

You definitely don't want to drive on seriously timed out tires and I am sure you need bearings repacked and maybe brakes adjusted.

One of the questions I have to ask is if you have priced seasonal rates at other campgrounds you might want to take it to? It would be kind of a waste to get a mobile repair guy in there and pay $2K to get ti roadworthy to tow it to a campground not as nice as yours to save a couple hundred a year.

So to any seasonals here. What is the going annual rate where you are? I have water, power, and winter storage included with this price.
Where do you WANT to be - are you anchored to a work area, family, sports activity? Can you move 200 miles?

I would hope I can get a company to come out and look at it.
Contact a mobile RV tech and make an appointment. That is what they do.
What is the going annual rate where you are?
Monthly and annual rates vary widely. The nearest park with a monthly rate to where I presently live charges $850/month and you pay electricity.

There may or may not be any mobile service people in your area. Or there may be a mobile RV tech but not willing to do chassis mechanical work, e.g. brakes & wheel bearings. The tires you could remove yourself and take them to a tire shop in town to replace (after 22 years, I'm sure they have aged out long ago). Start asking around for suggestions about who might provide those services - ask others around the park or at the office, Google for 'mobile service', etc.

You need to research your area to determine if there are any places that accept seasonal rentals and how much they charge. It does no good to learn what someone else pays several states away - it just adds confusion. Some places may offer monthly or weekly rentals but not seasonal leases, and the long term rates are not always cheaper. A park that is always in demand has no incentive to offer long term discounts.

There may or may not be any mobile service people in your area. Or there may be a mobile RV tech but not willing to do chassis mechanical work, e.g. brakes & wheel bearings. The tires you could remove yourself and take them to a tire shop in town to replace (after 22 years, I'm sure they have aged out long ago). Start asking around for suggestions about who might provide those services - ask others around the park or at the office, Google for 'mobile service', etc.

You need to research your area to determine if there are any places that accept seasonal rentals and how much they charge. It does no good to learn what someone else pays several states away - it just adds confusion. Some places may offer monthly or weekly rentals but not seasonal leases, and the long term rates are not always cheaper. A park that is always in demand has no incentive to offer long term discounts.
So they would come out to fix an interior thing or maybe even replace a tire but not to do brakes or wheel bearings? I can see why that might be. I would think it would be hard to make sure you have everything you would need on a repair truck not knowing what will need to be done once you tear into it.

I have a mobile tech near me who came fully equipped to do brakes and bearings on my pop-up.

I'm merely pointing out that mobile techs may or may not be available in a given area, and you cannot assume the techs who do RV "house" repairs will also do other mechanical work. However, there may be vehicle mechanics who will do onsite repairs. You just have to search them out, then call and ask.

Selling the camper onsite is still an option, if that's the route you want to go.....and it really makes the most sense if you can't prep the trailer to move yourself. You just have to stipulate in the ad that the trailer MUST be moved immediately at the completion of the sale, and that the trailer is AS-IS. Then the specifics of tires, brakes, and wheel bearings are the next guy's problem.

For lots of us, tires brakes and bearings wouldn't worry us in the slightest if the unit fit our needs and we got the right deal on it.

Selling the camper onsite is still an option, if that's the route you want to go.....and it really makes the most sense if you can't prep the trailer to move yourself. You just have to stipulate in the ad that the trailer MUST be moved immediately at the completion of the sale, and that the trailer is AS-IS. Then the specifics of tires, brakes, and wheel bearings are the next guy's problem.

For lots of us, tires brakes and bearings wouldn't worry us in the slightest if the unit fit our needs and we got the right deal on it.
They might be lucky enough to find a buyer that is willing to pay the seasonal fees the campground is asking and not even need to have it moved.

They might be lucky enough to find a buyer that is willing to pay the seasonal fees the campground is asking and not even need to have it moved.
That would be even better.....but the original post said that the owner wanted all seasonals gone. Which may be why the owner is jacking up the prices suddenly...trying to get them to leave instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom