Advice on making reservations at Florida parks for next winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

For the past 3 winters we have headed West & South from Upstate NY visiting friends/family and parks mostly in TX and points around LA, MS, AL etc. For this next winter (2022/2023) we're planning on returning to visit friends/family in Florida. We've rented homes there in the past, mostly along the West coast but have never done any RVing thereabouts.

Input I get from friends who do take their RVs to FL suggests that it can be very difficult if not almost impossible to get prime campsites in FL during the winter given the great demand. In any event it seems one can't start too early to make reservations and to that end I have set up and account on the FL State Parks website and started poking around.

Perhaps folks with more experience in making reservations could offer some suggestions, tips and such? We stay pretty much exclusively in State, US, COE and other types of parks. Private parks are a last resort.

We typically travel for 3-4 months departing around mid-December. One thought was to perhaps start later, spend some time in FL then visit some sites coming back North along the East coast as the weather improves along toward Spring.

(PS: Our interest in FL next year has nothing at all to do with the fact that it was down to 15 degrees overnight here in Texas. Yeah, right... )

Weather has been fabulous here in central Florida for the past few weeks. Been in the 80s most days. I live in St Cloud at the Floridian and I love the place. Been here for 9 years now.

It is getting more difficult for sure. But it's not impossible.
State Parks can be booked 11 months ahead of time from this link: Camping and Reservation Information - FLORIDA STATE PARKS
Obviously, the more popular parks are most likely already starting to book out.
The few National Parks and COE Parks we have you can book through Recreation.gov. You seem to be familiar with that.
There are quite a few County-owned parks here also. Campendium is a really good source for that kind of information.
Check out my website (starzonek.net) of places we have visited here in the last 3 years. You can Google their info. Or PM me and I help you out with links.
Good luck planning your trip!

Weather has been fabulous here in central Florida for the past few weeks. Been in the 80s most days. I live in St Cloud at the Floridian and I love the place. Been here for 9 years now.
If we pass near that area I'll stop in and buy you a beer. :)

It is getting more difficult for sure. But it's not impossible.
State Parks can be booked 11 months ahead of time from this link: Camping and Reservation Information - FLORIDA STATE PARKS
Obviously, the more popular parks are most likely already starting to book out.
The few National Parks and COE Parks we have you can book through Recreation.gov. You seem to be familiar with that.
There are quite a few County-owned parks here also. Campendium is a really good source for that kind of information.
Check out my website (starzonek.net) of places we have visited here in the last 3 years. You can Google their info. Or PM me and I help you out with links.
Good luck planning your trip!
Good info-- thanks. Also, I'll check out your website for some details.

If we pass near that area I'll stop in and buy you a beer. :)
i would love to meet you. I am retired and I don't work so anytime is fine with me. However I have two dead alcoholic parents so I don't drink, but thanks for the offer. DonTom has been staying in my park and loving every minute of it. He just left about two minutes before I logged on to the Internet.

We travel to Florida several times during the year, mostly the panhandle area, but also one or two big trips to south Florida / Keys area. So far we've been successful finding spots, but, yes, we've seen it getting harder and harder each year. I would also note, I don't believe it matters the time of year. It may be a little easier in the summer but not much. Here are a few tips that may help.
1. You almost have to think about getting reservations as a small part time job to be successful. It will take research and planning.
2. Florida state parks open reservations 11 months ahead at 8:00AM Eastern time. That's 8:00 AM and 00 seconds on the dot. Within a few seconds, whatever sites are available will be gone. It's very important to get yourself a good clock (like your cell phone) that's synced to an official clock (time.gov). It's crazy, but seconds count. So sites for May 1 2023, will open up June 1, 2022.
3. The more flexible you can be, both to dates and sites, the easier it will be. It will be rare to get a site on the first try. Trying to get a site for 5 days in June of next year is possible, trying to get a site for the exact dates of June 10 to June 15 will be difficult. Remember you will only have time to try for one site each day. Everyone is trying for waterfront sites, so going for an inside site increases your chances.
4. Remember you can reserve 14 days, and only your first day has to be in the reservation window. On June 1 2022, you can reserve from May 1, 2023 to May 15, 2023.
5. Do your research and planning. Play with the reservation site now and understand how it works. Only a few sites open up each day and you can look at the calendar and see which sites open on which days. On your day, you need to be logged in, have your chosen site pulled up and ready to hit the reserve button at 8:00:00.
6. If you're really flexible, you can look for cancellations. There are cancellations almost every day - They go quickly but not as quickly as advance reservations.
7. After you've reserved your first site, you'll want to also go pick your lottery numbers, because apparently, this is your lucky day!

We travel to Florida several times during the year, mostly the panhandle area, but also one or two big trips to south Florida / Keys area. So far we've been successful finding spots, but, yes, we've seen it getting harder and harder each year. I would also note, I don't believe it matters the time of year. It may be a little easier in the summer but not much. Here are a few tips that may help.
1. You almost have to think about getting reservations as a small part time job to be successful. It will take research and planning.
2. Florida state parks open reservations 11 months ahead at 8:00AM Eastern time. That's 8:00 AM and 00 seconds on the dot. Within a few seconds, whatever sites are available will be gone. It's very important to get yourself a good clock (like your cell phone) that's synced to an official clock (time.gov). It's crazy, but seconds count. So sites for May 1 2023, will open up June 1, 2022.
3. The more flexible you can be, both to dates and sites, the easier it will be. It will be rare to get a site on the first try. Trying to get a site for 5 days in June of next year is possible, trying to get a site for the exact dates of June 10 to June 15 will be difficult. Remember you will only have time to try for one site each day. Everyone is trying for waterfront sites, so going for an inside site increases your chances.
4. Remember you can reserve 14 days, and only your first day has to be in the reservation window. On June 1 2022, you can reserve from May 1, 2023 to May 15, 2023.
5. Do your research and planning. Play with the reservation site now and understand how it works. Only a few sites open up each day and you can look at the calendar and see which sites open on which days. On your day, you need to be logged in, have your chosen site pulled up and ready to hit the reserve button at 8:00:00.
6. If you're really flexible, you can look for cancellations. There are cancellations almost every day - They go quickly but not as quickly as advance reservations.
7. After you've reserved your first site, you'll want to also go pick your lottery numbers, because apparently, this is your lucky day!

Good advice! We have state and national park reservations in GA, FL, and NY from now until January 2023. It's a challenge getting it all to fit together when some states have a 13 month reservation window and others have 11 or 9 month windows, plus the 6 month window for national parks. Adding specific site preferences at some parks just adds to the fun... ;)

Great info-- thanks much for the insights! In particular, you point out:
Remember you can reserve 14 days, and only your first day has to be in the reservation window
I had wondered just how that worked as it wasn't clear on the website. Knowing how it works I was able to reserve 14 days at Myakka River State Park at a with a sewer connection.

I made state park reservations here in Florida from November to the end of March through the state reservation area. It does take making sure you are online and ready to go at least 15 minutes before the window opens at 8 am 11 months ahead of time. And you need to select and click on Submit about 3-5 seconds before 8 am, to allow time for the signal to get sent, depending on how fast your computer is.

Now, one BIG secret. Once you arrive at a camping spot, you can leave early by checking with the entrance or ranger station the morning you want to leave, and you will get a full refund of remaining days. You cannot do this online, and you MUST do it in the morning the day you want to quit.

So, I always back myself up. For example, if I want to stay a week some place but am not sure I can get a space at the next campground, I sign up and pay for two weeks. That way, I have a place to stay no matter what. Also, federal/COE campgrounds open sites only 6 months before those opening, so you can fill in "holes" with federal sites. One good filler is Midway, in the Big Collier along Tamiami Trail. There are three COE campgrounds along the canal that goes from St Lucie to Ft. Meyers, and it is great fun to watch the boats go through the locks. In fact, at St. Lucie, you can actually stand on the lock gates when they close!

Good luck. It takes a lot of getting up early, especially if you are on the West Coast, but this year I had a spot directly overlooking the ocean at Gamble Rogers and very good spots at several other places that fill up fast.

Also, keep looking for cancellations a couple of weeks before your trip. This year, there have been quite a few.

Also, if you cannot get spots in the coastal state parks, try those that are more in the center of the state such as Lake Louisa. Right now I am at the new Colt Creek, and it is very pleasant and not far from Tampa and Lakeland.

I made state park reservations here in Florida from November to the end of March through the state reservation area. It does take making sure you are online and ready to go at least 15 minutes before the window opens at 8 am 11 months ahead of time. And you need to select and click on Submit about 3-5 seconds before 8 am, to allow time for the signal to get sent, depending on how fast your computer is.

Now, one BIG secret. Once you arrive at a camping spot, you can leave early by checking with the entrance or ranger station the morning you want to leave, and you will get a full refund of remaining days. You cannot do this online, and you MUST do it in the morning the day you want to quit.

So, I always back myself up. For example, if I want to stay a week some place but am not sure I can get a space at the next campground, I sign up and pay for two weeks. That way, I have a place to stay no matter what. Also, federal/COE campgrounds open sites only 6 months before those opening, so you can fill in "holes" with federal sites. One good filler is Midway, in the Big Collier along Tamiami Trail. There are three COE campgrounds along the canal that goes from St Lucie to Ft. Meyers, and it is great fun to watch the boats go through the locks. In fact, at St. Lucie, you can actually stand on the lock gates when they close!

Good luck. It takes a lot of getting up early, especially if you are on the West Coast, but this year I had a spot directly overlooking the ocean at Gamble Rogers and very good spots at several other places that fill up fast.

Also, keep looking for cancellations a couple of weeks before your trip. This year, there have been quite a few.
And this kind of behavior is one of the reasons why others don't get the reservation they might like to make. I really wish you would reconsider that.
I for myself decided not to participate in this kind of shady behavior.

I agree it is not the best behavior, but I am an older woman traveling alone, and I panic at the thought of no place to stay. I just do not feel comfortable boondocking or staying at places like Walmart. However, I don't do this very often, and I also tend to stay a full two weeks at each state and COE campground I make reservations at.

Great info-- thanks much for the insights! In particular, you point out:

I had wondered just how that worked as it wasn't clear on the website. Knowing how it works I was able to reserve 14 days at Myakka River State Park at a with a sewer connection.
We haven't been to Myakka for a fewl years, but it's high on our "return" list. We'll have full hookup sites this winter and next at Crooked River State Park near St Marys, GA and this winter at Salt Springs Recreation Area in the Ocala National forest for 2 weeks each, and a 4 day layover at the Escapees RV Club park near Bushnell, FL. The rest are water and electric state park sites, except for a 10 stay at electric only Midway Campground in the Big Cypress National Preserve on the Tamiami Trail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom