Afraid of BYD's EVs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I did the math right, this means California EVs no longer cost less per mile than a conventional car. According to Google the Model 3 uses 0.24 kWh per mile. That's 12 cents a mile with "fuel" costing 50 cents per kWh. At $5 gallon and 20 MPG a conventional car will match that. A 30 MPG car will go 50% further per dollar of fuel.
Yeah, you cannot win this here in CA, unless one gets a lot of use at the still available many free to use AC charge stations on the road. Such as I often do in Truckee & Colfax when I want to take a break between here and Reno on my electric motorcycles.

And a fast charge here in Auburn is around 65 cents per KWH, so an ICE car can be a lot cheaper in this area.

But I have no reason to use a fast charger in this area. Unlike gas stations, close to home fast chargers are usually useless. For my two EV cars, any DCFC within a couple of hundred miles is useless to me. It's only 99.0 miles between here and my Reno home, driveway to driveway. So I usually have no need to charge on the road and still can get free charging at a couple of places on the way, if I want to take a break for a while.

BTW, I really like to take a break at the Tahoe/Truckee Airport when I am hungry. Last time I was there I had a very delicious lamb curry burrito at the airport restaurant there as I was getting my free charge. Possible to get 30KWH for free there in two hours, but not with my motorcycle's 6.6 KW AC charger. First two hours is a free charge regardless of how many KWHs used. $3.00 per hour after two hours, again regardless of how many KWHs are used.

-Don- Auburn, CA

That's the thing; EV growth has slowed since the height of last year, but EV sales are still...growing! Ford just posted a great month for EV's. It's Tesla that's taking it in the shorts. Space Karen isn't the only game in town anymore.
EV demand/preference has declined from 20% in 2022 to 18% in 2023 according to Reuters.

EV demand/preference has declined from 20% in 2022 to 18% in 2023 according to Reuters.

You're welcome to quote your sources, however, I see that 2023 US EV sales topped 1.2 Million, and 2022 US EV sales were over 900k but well under a million.

Q2 2024 is closing out here soon, and then we'll have a good picture for the first half of 2024.

11.3 cents per KW here in North Florida. Last weekend I used a friends lot on the river for 32 hours. Just for chuckles, electric meter was checked on arrival and departure, used 33 kw as weather temperature was HOT. That comes to $3.73
(caught plenty of fish and mess of crayfish)

Back
Top Bottom