age/mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windybill

Here is my input on the how old is too old and how many miles is too many. We have a 1996 Southwind, 35ft, F53 chassis, 460 Ford. On June 2 we left Silver City, NM for a cross country trip to the SW corner of Prince Edward Island, Canada. We left the yard with 132,067 miles on the clock. Stayed off the interstates as much as was reasonable. Got to our son's house in MA on the tenth day. Stayed a week and headed for PEI. Was there for a month, travel all around the island. Back to MA. for another week. Came back to New Mexico via stops in western MA and a couple of days in Virginia Beach. Again, stayed off interstates, stayed in 2 campgrounds on the Natchez Trace. Got home August 19th.
On the whole trip the only thing that failed was 1 interior light bulb, $1.12. Had a rock chip in the windshield repaired in Canada, $84.00. They were the only expenses other than a lot of gas and a bit of oil. So, was it a leap of faith to attempt a trip like that considering the age and miles? Maybe...but the poor old thing performed perfectly and we were very reluctant to leave her and move back in the house when we returned.

As long as the vehicle is in good shape and you have both a road side insurance and deep pockets should be no problem.

I don't think there is any one magic date on what is too old, condition is far more important than age.  Mileage is also very rarely an issue in a motorhome, as most seem to average about 6,000 miles per year, which means even a 20 year old coach will likely have under 120,000 miles on the engine and transmission which likely had a 150,000+ miles design service life, depending on the exact model year for gas engines, and much more for diesels.

I think also having a good ol Southwind on a good ol F53 chassis helps to make great trips!   

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom