Air admittance valve aka vacuum vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc L

So I need to replace the vacuum vent for my bath tub. 

Thanks to my iPhone 4, I used the video camera with light to film in the access hole to find our where the vent was located.  Of course it was on the opposite corner and unreachable from the access panel.  So I bought an access panel cover (9"x9") at my local hardware store.  So I'll make a hole in the tub skirting (thin plywood) to access the vent.

I also bought the vent.  I was chocked when I got at the counter and it was 30$, but it was the only model they had and I needed one.  When I opened the box, it was quite different looking from the 5$ version I replaced under the sink last year.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with the Canplus Air Admittance Valve.

At first glance, it seems to be better designed than the 5$ Watts Provent Air Admittance Valve, that I used last year. 

DW's nose will be the judge.

Marc...

I took it apart, the gate (for lack of a better term) is a plastic disk with a hollow shaft that can move freely up and down.  There is a rubber disk under it to make the seal.  Gravity and positive pressure forces the gate to be closed, suction from the sewer line lifts it to let air in.

Here is the product sheet:
http://www.canplasplumbing.com/Portals/9/ProductDownloads/Canplas%20AAV%20Sheet.pdf

Shows a diagram of what I tried to explain.  A picture is worth a thousand words, I only used a few.

I've tried blowing in it, before installing it obviously and it has a really good seal.  Opens right up on suction.

How do the approvals compare on them, (ASME, ASTM, NSF, etc) ? I have seen alot of inferior ones installed and fail long before they should, Watts is a known brand with a good reputation saddened to hear it failed early. Best and probably most expensive is Studor. Just my 2cents.

It looks like a much better unit than the ones that use a simple rubber flap to seal.  The proof will be how long it lasts.

boatbuilder said:
It looks like a much better unit than the ones that use a simple rubber flap to seal.  The proof will be how long it lasts.
I have an alarm in the trailer that detects failures of the AAV.  DW's nose.

I set off thar DW alarm every night. I would probably rather change the AAV than take blame for the real reason her alarm triggers. That's why we have a big dog....he takes the blame

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom