Air ambulance service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Does anyone subscribe to an air ambulance service? Which one? I've procrastinated over this subject over the years. When we're at our Wyoming summer lot, anything beyond the capabilities of the small local hospital would require an air lift to another city or state (e.g. Salt Lake City).

I have heard of insurance that specifically covers air ambulance fees. As I recall it was from one of the programs like good sam.

I can relate that the helicopter flight to Las Vegas after my stroke in January billed for $80,000. Fortunately for me The VA paid for it and probably at a discounted fee.

My DW and I purchased a subscription to MASA Medical Transport Solutions. If I take a ride and my insurance doesn’t pay the entire bill, MASA will pay the rest.
Check their website. They have seminars all over the country in many of the states. It takes about 45 minutes and they give you a free lunch.

Last edited:
My brother and his wife live in NH. There are no agents in NH. The agent I have in FL called them and made arrangements to do a Zoom call. They didn’t sign up and shortly thereafter my brother had to be transported to a hospital. I don’t know if they had to pay out of pocket anything. If anyone is interested and there are no seminars in your state, send me a PM and I’ll see about putting you in contact with my agent.

SkyMed gives presentations at the FMCA chapter I belong to (Diesel RV Club). I know a number of people that have it, but none have had to use it thank goodness! They seem to specialize in RVers.

I have heard of insurance that specifically covers air ambulance fees. As I recall it was from one of the programs like good sam.

I can relate that the helicopter flight to Las Vegas after my stroke in January billed for $80,000. Fortunately for me The VA paid for it and probably at a discounted fee.

Amazing how much that costs. Was your in-flight care billed separately, or was the $80k all inclusive?

I am not sure. Tricare, which handles the outsourced medical care for the VA here sends me an explanation of benefits. That is where I saw the charge. I was also billed $60,000 for the clot buster shot, (TPA). Again, the VA paid the bill. I have been very satisfied with the care I receive from the VA. I have been rated at 100% since having open heart surgery related to Agent Orange in 2003.

We've had AirMed care network coverage for probably close to 15 years. As you can see, we are motorcycle enthusiasts and we also live close to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. There are many places in this area that ambulance response times are somewhat slow. Being able to get airflights out of a somewhat remote area could be the difference between life and death.

Here is a link to a map of their coverage area in the US. I'm not specifically recommending it, as I've never had to use their services....but it's the one we have if we need it...

Does anyone subscribe to an air ambulance service? Which one? I've procrastinated over this subject over the years. When we're at our Wyoming summer lot, anything beyond the capabilities of the small local hospital would require an air lift to another city or state (e.g. Salt Lake City).

MASA Medical Air Services Assn as I recall..
Only called them one time.. When my wife died.. They paid me for the trip home (not a good deal on that) but Well I'm not sure you can get the same contract I have.
The contract I have.. if I'm sick or injured they will cover all transportation costs not covered by other insureance inluding the "initial Evacuation" (Transport from seen to hospital) Hospital to Hospital/long term care/home for recovery.. Transport for the MOTOR HOME.. Transport formy Body (Should I die) .. When my wife died, Since she was cremated and i drove the motor home with her in the seat she normally sat in.. They paid for the Gas. No problems
Oh they take the motor home to the designated address as well.
And unlike many companies.. I do not have to call them from the "Scene" (of an incident) for pre-approval but can call later.
For long distance transport (Say I fell sick or Died in az (I live in MI)they have a fleet of private medical jets.

I'm not sure how it compares price wise, but when you turn on the service to activate a Garmin inreach satellite communicator, you can subscribe to a plan that covers the helicopter ride when you press the red button.

The added bonus is that the in-reach works with no mobile network. I used the in-reach's texting capability for 19 days rafting the grand canyon, it works well, sometimes a 5-10 minute delay, in the canyon, for a satellite to be overhead.

Back
Top Bottom