Air bag suspension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armadillo

The rear air bag suspension is shot on my camper truck, do I have to replace them with new airbags, or can I replace them with helper springs?

You can do whatever you want to, though it would help if you tell us a bit more about your setup, brand and model of truck, weight of camper, etc. if you want meaningful answers.

There are options to consider like what Sumo has. They have a bumpstop system that people say works well. There are different weight ratings, but there are no moving parts at all. But they sit right where the bags mount.

You can do whatever you want to, though it would help if you tell us a bit more about your setup, brand and model of truck, weight of camper, etc. if you want meaningful answers.
It's a 2013 Ford F150 carrying a 2100 lb Lance camper

Longshore is right your airbags are shot because you are way over your payload. Go buy a new truck please as your putting your family and the public at risk

You need more truck. The 150 is maxed out before you even load it with people and gear. And water etc...
Yeah I know this truck has been doing it for 85000 miles I don't think I'm going to replace the airbags I'm going to go with helper springs

Yeah I know this truck has been doing it for 85000 miles I don't think I'm going to replace the airbags I'm going to go with helper springs
You want it to carry the weight. Do you want to stop safely too? Do you want to over load your wheel bearings? Look, you are going to do what you want. Just know that you are flirting with disaster. You won't know that we are right untill its too late. If you ever get into an accident the lawyers will rip you apart.

Not to mention that at 85000 miles being overloaded its now a disaster waiting to happen - just about every component on the truck has been overloaded for an extended period of time

You want it to carry the weight. Do you want to stop safely too? Do you want to over load your wheel bearings? Look, you are going to do what you want. Just know that you are flirting with disaster. You won't know that we are right untill its too late. If you ever get into an accident the lawyers will rip you apart.

The cavalier attitude on a truck with that many miles that at this point will fail its just a matter of when not if only leads me to ask -please tell me when and where you are traveling so that i can avoid you

I'll leave the judgment calls to you, but I think i would go with the largest helper springs I coud find or upgrade the f150's rear suspension. Air bags are nice if you need to be able to adjust between max weight or no load (no camper on the truck), but I think the springs will be better for that extreme load.

Asked and answered. OP was looking for confirmation that he didn't get so he will do what he think is best.
For OP, please post what you ended up doing and let us know if it worked out for you.

Yeah okay pal
Not my friend not my buddy and DEFINITELY not my pal. Please dont ask the question if you can't handle the answer- your much better off waiting for the UTube video under the title Dumbass Campass lol

The engineers came up with a limit - you exceeded it 86000 miles ago honestly what do you expect?

Last edited:
I wonder how this worked out. I am waiting for air bags on my GMC 3500 and they tell me it might be another four weeks as Firestone is backordered up the wazoo.

Is the OP willing to come back and be honest about how his set-up handles?

I wonder how this worked out. I am waiting for air bags on my GMC 3500 and they tell me it might be another four weeks as Firestone is backordered up the wazoo.

Is the OP willing to come back and be honest about how his set-up handles?
You mention the back dropped 4inches? Its supposed to do that. If you look at the truck unloaded you will see the rear is higher than the front. Once you put your camper on you should be fairly level. You will find the bags help raise the rear but you may not need to. I looked at your picture the bags are not going to make a huge difference but they will some. With the backlog of parts expect to wait longer i would suspect. Dont be afraid to use the camper in the mean time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom