Air Bags - Smoother Ride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good morning Rich and Kaye,

I am about to replace my airbags on the MH.

You might check out this thread started on Nov 22  - by carson
  labelled "P30 Airbags - Front" , in addition to the answers you get from your new thread.

My response to your question is - YES-.

carson FL.

[edit]Linked referenced topic[/edit]

Does the chassis have air bags now and you are replacing them or will this be an addition of some sort?  If an addition, e.g. on a solid front axle chassis, I think it will help only if you currently "bottom out" at times. Otherwise the air bags probably don't come into play.

If you already have air bags (e.g. a P30 chassis with air/coil IFS) then replacing the bags helps only if one is currently not holding pressure. Adjusting the air pressure will affect the ride, but merely replacing a working bag does nothing.

I do not have air bags now. The ride in the front is terrible it bounces up and down like a basketball. I have a 35' 2000 Georgieboy.

I have a 35' 2000 Georgieboy.

Rich & Kay,
What chassis?  Ford, Workhorse, or maybe a Freightliner diesel with solid front axle?

One of the most common causes of a rough ride is too much air pressure in the front tires. Get the rig weighed axle by axle and then check the tire manufacturers load/inflation tables for the correct pressure to support that much weight. It will most likley be substnatially less than the pressure indicated on the tire sidewall or Georgie Boys recommended pressure.

What is the mileage on the GB and have you ever replaced the shocks?  Six years and a fair number of miles probably means the existing shocks are getting tired.  A full set (front & rears) would be a good investment and I'd probably get something better than the OEM shocks. Bilsteins are excellent but tend to be stiff, so may not be the right choice for a smoother ride. Maybe Monroe RV Gas Magnums? Koni makes some excellent ones too, but they are really pricey.

Agreed  Shocks have got to be the Culprit.  While at it  Get an alignment on the Front End.  Money and ease of mind well spent.  Been there  done that.

Will have the shocks checked, I only have 25K miles on it. It is going on 7 years old and I bet the shocks are what came on it. I am sure shocks are a lot cheaper than haveing airbags put on.

You bet  I replaced my with HD after 12K miles.  Big difference.

It's not unusual for motorhome shocks to be worn out at 30k miles or so, especially on the less expensive chassis where they use standard grade shocks. A motorhome bouncing around a rough road puts a lot of wear on a shock.  And in seven tears  of limited use the shock internal seals can dry out as well.

Still check the tire pressures, though.

I have the pressure pro so when on the road I know what the tire pressurs is all of the time. I carry 85psi in the front and 90psi in the rear, that is what the sticker says to carry,  but I have not got it the axles weighed, guess I need to do that.

Back
Top Bottom