Air Brake Systems for Toads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graham J

Greetings, I've a 2016 Cross Country diesel pusher and I'm looking at hooking up a 2016 Ford Edge as a dinghy. I think I'm straight with bars and baseplates, but I'm rather confused about the air brake system to use. I initially thought the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100 would be OK, but then heard there's no breakaway function and that could leave the toad loose and also breach the airbrakes in the coach. I've heard that the Air Force One system is superior in many ways, but it is significantly more expensive, and complicated.This is a real concern and I would appreciate some learned opinions on this matter.

All assistance is gratefully received.

I have the Brakemaster and there is a breakaway function. It uses an air accumulator (tank) to store a charge of air, which is then used to set the toad brakes in the event you have a breakaway. This is my second Brakemaster and I've been satisfied with the system. I can install the brake pedal ram in 15-30 seconds and the air line in another 15.

Many thanks, Scott. That sounds like very useful information. So if the air line is separated, the Coach and toad will self seal to prevent air loss?

Graham J said:
So if the air line is separated, the Coach and toad will self seal to prevent air loss?

That is actually a very good question. The air line is attached with quick disconnects on each end. If one of those pulled out in a breakaway it would shut off the air. But if the disconnects stayed in place and the air line snapped I believe it would leak. However the breakaway wire should have set the brakes by then.

One of the thigns many do not know... Ready Brute/Ready Brake has an OPTIONAL break-a-way.

Well I wondered how it worked for a long time.  Finally found out how
It is 100% independent of the other aux brake. an additional cable runs from the pedal to the front. there is a "Check" device (like a cable clamp) on this cable. You can pull it (in a break away) to stop the car but to release it you have to press the release lever.

This can be added to ANY system that needs it.

OK, just figured out the subtle difference in breakaway or not. It appears that the Brakemaster 9100 does not include the breakaway. However, the exact same unit is available with the breakaway included as the Brakemaster 9160! That model kit has the air reservoir described by Scott in his response. It seems it's all in the model number!

Thanks for all responses, Graham.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom