Air Compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My father has an RV and he takes it around the country a lot. It's one of the most convenient ways to travel safely I have vacation right now and I'm thinking of taking it too. Unfortunately he never spent time or money to buy a good air compressor and I don't want to lose my time stopping and gas stations all the time just to pump the tires up. I'm looking right now into a craftsman air compressor review and it looks like a really ergonomic air compressor with a great price too! On the bright side my father will keep it to after we finish with our vacation.

Most pancake compressors will do 100pis. You might want to look at the psi to volume chart as the higher the psi the lower the volume it will deliver.

My 6 gallon compressor takes 10 to 15 minutes to go from 95 to 105 on my semi tiers. I use a tire filler that clips on so I can walk away.

I bough a small compressor at Home Depot that goes up to 150PSI. I've been using it for over 10 years. I think it's a Rigid. The only problem I have with it is that it's loud.

That 2 gallon will do well for your pickup, but may not be satisfactory for rigs with the 22.5" wheels (semi-type tires). My Craftsman 3 gallon (not pancake) can deal with my big tires, but it takes forever to do more than 2 or 3 psi additional (volume is low). I do as well, or better with my Viair 400 DC portable hooked to a car (or house) battery. Fortunately, being a diesel, I can use the on-board air to do the tires, which is faster.

Hard to give a meaningful answer without knowing the tire psi you need to maintain. Buying a too-small compressor is a waste. Ads usually feature the compressor max but you also need to learn what air volume (cubic ft/sec or cfm) it delivers at a higher psi. It should say something like 1 cfm @ 90 psi. 1.0-1.5 cfm is barely adequate for a 22.5" tire unless you are really patient.

I'm also assuming you have a generator with the RV, since you are looking at 120v compressors. Most 12v compressors are far less capable.

Does your father have to "stop all the time" to pump up tires? Sounds to me like you need to invest in some tire maintenance, cause there should be no need to do that often. To be sure, you should check the psi daily (do you have a TPMS installed?), but if air leaks out on a regular basis, something is wrong.

My father has an RV and he takes it around the country a lot. It's one of the most convenient ways to travel safely I have vacation right now and I'm thinking of taking it too. Unfortunately he never spent time or money to buy a good air compressor and I don't want to lose my time stopping and gas stations all the time just to pump the tires up. I'm looking right now into a craftsman air compressor review and it looks like a really ergonomic air compressor with a great price too! On the bright side my father will keep it to after we finish with our vacation.

I think for me Bostitch would work better than Craftman. They are both great though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom