Air compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

I know this subject has been up before, but I having trouble finding a compressor that will both fit in one of my storge compartments [2005 27' Minnie ] and be able to handle the 80 psi my tires require. I thought a tankless one would be the ticket for size, but they do not seem up to the task.? Any input with specific models would be a help !

Thanks everyone....

Sears has a nice little "pancake" shaped job that may just fit (Check before you buy) and hits 150 PSI as configured

Recently I was at Harbor Fright and they had a tankless that could do even higher pressures.  It WILL fit in most anything..... I'm not sure a tankless is how I want to go but for airing up tires they are good (I do other things where a tank and a regulator are a must)

Take a look at this one.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1607671800.1143258664@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddhgdhhfgkcegecegjdghldghh.0&tab=opt&pid=02875117000&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

Rollie

I looked at that link,  it does not go where you think it goes, though it does go tosears (your session has timed out please go to Sears.com to continue shopping)

Try going to sears.com and looking for Sears item #00915214000 Mfr. model #15214

Or Sears item #00915310000 Mfr. model #15310

Or just brows to Tools, Air compressors and tools, Air compressors and then go through the pages

Here's a valid link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=02875117000&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators

Walmart also sells a small unit by Campbell Hausfield with a 2 gallon tank but it is probaly a bit much for the compartments on your Minnie.

That will both work fine if you have 120 VAC power available.

The "truck" size of  12 VDC compressor will also put out 80 psi (usually much more) but are very low in air volume. Fine for topping off a low tire but are rarely practical for inflating one from scratch. Walmart even sells a cordless one by Campbell Hausfield that might be sufficient.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3992&cat=4338&type=1&dept=5428&path=0%3A5428%3A4091%3A4338

When shopping for an air compressor you need to look at more than the max psi. Equally important is the SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute) that the air compressor can deliver air.

The higher the SCFM the faster it will fill the tire.

The Craftsman 110v Models that are around a $100 have a small tank and a max psi of 150 and delivers 40psi@ 3.0 SCFM and 90psi@ 2.0 SCFM, these numbers are quite acceptable even for 22.5 / 115psi tires.

As comparison, a larger 250v Shop Compressor may have a max psi of 175 and deliver 150psi@ 17 SCFM.

Small, cheap 12v air compressors, I think are a waste of money and not dependable. When I plug mine in, I expect air.

Hi Smokeater1:

>>? Any input with specific models would be a help !
====
One of the chores I had before leaving Austin after purchase of my '96 Winny Adventurer was putting valve extenders on. I'm one that has had good luck with them. I have had "bad" luck with pop on hub caps that tear extenders. Anyway, not a single tire dealer in North Austin would touch an extender. I hit some of the largest truck dealers in the area to no avail. Even the big RV dealership in Georgetown acted as tho they had never heard of an extender. One dealer said it was because of recent TX legislation that made a dealer liable if an extender failed.

So, I called my friend Ron Ruward who I knew disliked extenders to ask how he aired his rear tires. Seems he can get his hand between the dully's if I recall. But we also chatted about air compressors and what might work for me. He said that Sears, Walmart, and Harbor Freight might be a good place to start.

After checking out Sears and Walmart, I finally thought that Harbor freight seemed to have the best prices and I wound up buying a 2 gallon 115psi model for $79.99. Unfortunately, this unit would not do the job so I returned it and got a 5 gallon twin tank unit -- that was on sale for $89.99 -- plus I got a 10% discount as it was the only one left. So I got it for only about a buck more.

I will never know if the 5 gallon unit would do the job because when I got it home and it wouldn't work. BTW, the smaller units do not require adding oil whereas the larger units do. For whatever reason, this one was then returned. The sales person I purchased from was not there that day but they said I could exchange it or get a refund. They had no replacements and no other stores in the area had the same model -- and it was too late for me to have another shipped prior to my leaving.

The person helping me called the manager and he said, give him one of the 8 gallon units as an even trade if he is agreeable. As I quickly glanced at the price tag of $179.99 on that unit I said, "Why, yes -- that would work fine". So I now have the HF (40400 item#) compressor -- and it does a great job of airing my rig tires. It gives me 6.0 scfm @40psi, 5.0 @ 90psi, and 4.2 @ 115psi. Was concerned about space in a compartment, but it just fits and that was nice.

I also got a tire chuck with gage ($4.99 on sale at HF) that I was able to bend a bit so that it fits nicely through the front tire (after removing the hub cap) to the rear extender, plus 50 feet of hose. Have now driven from Austin to Gila Bend, AZ and have checked the tires each AM and they are doing well. I won't do it that often in the future, but now know that I "can" check all tires rather quickly -- and can add air if needed w/o looking for a service station to do the job. Am also looking forward to adding some air tools such as impact wrench, grinder, and blow handle.

I DO believe the 5 gallon unit at HF would have done the job and would fit into a compartment easier, but having paid only $81.00 plus for the 8 gallon, I couldn't pass that up. DO watch for sales at HF as they come up often and you can save a bundle. You will need at least a 5 gallon unit. BTW, Lowe's has some very nice units, but they were much higher than the other stores I visited.

Bob Buchanan said:
Hi Smokeater1:

>>  Any input with specific models would be a help !
====

I DO believe the 5 gallon unit at HF would have done the job and would fit into a compartment easier, but having paid only $81.00 plus for the 8 gallon, I couldn't pass that up. DO watch for sales at HF as they come up often and you can save a bundle. You will need at least a 5 gallon unit. BTW, Lowe's has some very nice units, but they were much higher than the other stores I visited.

Bob:

Does that mean there will be a fire sale in a year or so when you run out of room? ;D

If I had to make room to carry a 5 gallon tank compressor, I'd have to leave out something really important, like my fishing tackle. No way!  My little 120 VAC Sears tankless compressor will add 10 pis to my 22.5" tires fast enough (and I can't remember when I ever add to add that much!), even though its SCFM is a modest 1.0 at 90 psi.  I only need 85 psi, though, so its fine. It might be  pretty wimpy at 100 psi, though.

RV Roamer said:
If I had to make room to carry a 5 gallon tank compressor, I'd have to leave out something really important, like my fishing tackle. No way!? My little 120 VAC Sears tankless compressor will add 10 pis to my 22.5" tires fast enough (and I can't remember when I ever add to add that much!), even though its SCFM is a modest 1.0 at 90 psi.? ?I only need 85 psi, though, so its fine. It might be? pretty wimpy at 100 psi, though.

The reason I liked this unit was because of it's twin tank design (2- 2 1/2 gallon stacked vertically), it didn't take up much room at all. Of course, with a unit like this, one can also run other tools as well. I can recall at QZ those with air helping others around the campsite. So there is more benefit than just airing tires.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42321

I hear you about space tho, Gary. With my rigs I have always been pretty close to my GVWR -- so when something goes in, something must come out. And I agree that, "Life is a matter of priorities".

Congratulations on the new compressor Bob.  Now better call Bernie and order a Pressure Pro tire monitoring system.  It is real nice checking you tire pressure by just pushing the button on the monitor.  The real piece of mind is knowing that if you should loose air in any of the tires MH or Toad you will be alerted.

Jeff /Washington said:
Bob:

Does that mean there will be a fire sale in a year or so when you run out of room? ;D

Very well may be, Jeff. ?:)

However, at the moment I was offered the deal on the 8 gallon tank, space was not involved at all when I quickly OK'd trade. If it wouldn't fit, I would just sell it myself and help buy some gas to get back to CA. I had several good offers when I got it back to the RV park there in Austin from those hoping it would not fit in one of my central compartments.

The 5 gallon twin tank seemed ideal -- and would be my recommendation for someone wanting a compressor for a gasoline RV. Taking the 8 gallon was just a greedy decision on my part. ?8)

Ron said:
Congratulations on the new compressor Bob.? Now better call Bernie and order a Pressure Pro tire monitoring system.? It is real nice checking you tire pressure by just pushing the button on the monitor.? The real piece of mind is knowing that if you should loose air in any of the tires MH or Toad you will be alerted.

Thanks, Ron -- and I appeciate your brainstorming this with me on my call from Austin. At the time I was sitting on the parking lot of a large truck repair and tire center. It was about the 5th or 5th I had visited asking about valve extenders. They are sure a no-no at least in that area of TX. I still may put them on when I get back NCal -- but for now, my tires seem to be traveling OK.

Yes, will have to chat with Bernie about Pressure Pro. Actually, I think he is not far my current location in Gila Bend.

Bob Buchanan said:
Yes, will have to chat with Bernie about Pressure Pro. Actually, I think he is not far my current location in Gila Bend.

Bob

Only until Thurs, 4/27 when we leave for Moab.

Sounds like you better get hold of Bernie and have him send you a set before he leaves for Moab or Come on up to Moab and join us.

Sage advice re the PressurePro Ron. I procrastinated for way too long. I've learned first hand, in addition to reading numerous reports, that the PP can pay for itself in the event of a loss of air. When a tire on our Bronco disintegrated (we had no tire pressure monitoring system at the time) a compressor would not have helped - there was no tire left to put air into. Just a few weeks after buying the PP it detected a leak in a tire on the Burb prior to catastrophic failure, which turned out to be a nail.

I'm a believer and I'm now in the habit of asking RVers I meet in person if they have a way of monitoring their tire pressures. Every RVer who buys one will make themselves and the rest of us safer on the road. A couple of my friends were so impressed that they recently bought PP systems although they won't be taking delivery of their coaches for several months.

Anyone wanting to find a source for the PressurePro system, click here. Note that I don't sell any of the products or services listed on that page and the suppliers don't advertise here, nor do they pay me or the RV Forum for mentioning them or their products/services.

My tires require 80 PSI and I just picked up a 100 PSI, oil-less compressor with a 2 gal tank from Harbor Freight Tools for $80.00. It puts out 3 SCFM at 90 PSI and it is a lot quieter than my old 150 PSI pancake that I used when I had a DP. It only weighs 20 lbs and fits nicely into the smaller basement compartments on my new gasser. It has a built in cooling fan for the compressor/motor and it comes with a 25' coiled hose and air chuck. It is a Central Pneumatic model No. 47404.

George Dauth

Nice size compressor for many models of RV. Like you, my tires run at around 85 psi, so a 100 psi compressor is certainly adequate. I use a Sears tankless, but with no tank its not much good for powering air tools or even use as a blow gun.

Sounds like the Central might be a clone  of the little Campbell Hausfield 2 gallon compressor. Central is just a marketing brand  name - they don't actually manufacture any tools, so they got it from some tool manufacturer somewhere. 

gdauth said:
My tires require 80 PSI and I just picked up a 100 PSI, oil-less compressor with a 2 gal tank from Harbor Freight Tools for $80.00. It puts out 3 SCFM at 90 PSI and it is a lot quieter than my old 150 PSI pancake that I used when I had a DP. It only weighs 20 lbs and fits nicely into the smaller basement compartments on my new gasser. It has a built in cooling fan for the compressor/motor and it comes with a 25' coiled hose and air chuck. It is a Central Pneumatic model No. 47404.

George, I hope that one works for you -- it didn't for me (see my other post on this thread). I really liked the smaller unit because one can carry it easily to each tire, whereas the larger units needed to be centrally located with 25 to 50' of hose -- plus required oil.

To test the unit, I let about 5-10psi out of a tire to see how well the compressor would get it back up to 80psi. The chuck that came with it would not work as I do not have extenders -- so I bought one on sale at HF with built in gauge. As mentioned in my other note, by bending it slightly I was able to get to the inside dually if I remove the hub cap.

That chuck/gauge was nice for testing the compressor because alternatively pressing the chuck lever on and off registered the pressure in the compressor tank then the pressure in the tire (w/o having to see the gauge on the compressor). Better chucks probably have a check valve to prevent this, but for my tests, it was a great UN-feature. Unfortunately, within a few seconds, the pressure in the 2 gallon tank was the same as the pressure in the tire -- and a lot less than 80psi.

The first fellow at HF that sold me the 2 gallon model didn't know much more about compressors than I did. However, when I returned it, I talked with another salesman that knew a lot more -- plus there was a construction contractor standing there at the time that filled me in as well. Seems that compressor uses are in two general categories. One is for short bursts of air applications -- such as a nail driver tool. The other is for those applications that require continuous pressure -- such as airing a tire or an impact wrench. The smaller the tank, the less useful it is for continuous applications.

So the 100psi rating on the 2 gallon unit is only going to last for a very short period -- and will quickly equal whatever pressure is currently in the tire -- then you essentially have a tankless unit. Actual tankless units have better compressors for continuous work, whereas the compressor on a tanked unit is made to fill the tank, not supply air to the tool. I was told by the second salesguy that the 2 gallon units are more for apps such as air brushing.

Back
Top Bottom