Air compressors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyefighter

Seeing all the information on tire pressue and tire health in this forum has been outstanding.  My question is how do you air up your tires?  Do you have a protable air compressor on board, a on board compressor or do you just go to the local gas station and use their wimpy pump?  I use my garage compressor before I leave home, but really don't have a good way to air up on the road. 

I usually pull into one of the Les Schwab Tire Centers here on the West Coast.  The don't have the best tires for RV's but the service you get it second to none.  On our last trip we had a slow leak in one of the outer duals and by the next morning it was flat when we got to Schwab's.  They took off the tire and replaced two of the extensions on each side and fixed the tire.  They said no charge, come back when you need to buy new tires.  I feel that I have to because Schawb is one of our company's larger accounts.  Still wont buy RV tires there though.

My question is how do you air up your tires?  Do you have a protable air compressor on board, a on board compressor or do you just go to the local gas station and use their wimpy pump?

Our American Eagle has an air system on board for air brakes, air bags, and etc as does many other diesel pushers.  We use the on board compressor to air up tires.  One of the benefits of using on board air is that the systems include an air dryer so you air up your tires with dry air.  I just used the on board air system to adjust air in the tires on the coach and the toad last week prior to installing my new Pressure Pro system.  If we did not have the on board air system we would get one of these small 1 gallon compressors from Sears or Wal-mart.  Wouldn't even recommend one of those small tire inflators that plug into the cigarette lighter.

Ron, are you speaking of the tankless compressors?  I have a Campbell Hausfeld, that might work, although the pressure only goes up to 100 PSI which is all I need, but it might take forever.  Maybe I can find a inflator clamp that I can attach to the valve stem and let it pump up on it's own.  It won't over inflate only being able to go up to 100 PSI.  Thanks for the tip Ron.

Most gas stations, and most "home" type air compressors are a bit anemic when it comes to pumping up truck tires. My rig takes about 100 lbs, to properly inflate them I need a compressor in the 130 and up range.  Even my industrial strength heavy duty tank type compressor came pre-set at 120, it is not recommended you mess with the settings and sometimes you can not. (I did, it's now set at 140)

I also have a protable capable of 150 l bs (Tankless) and a 12 volt portable that says it will hit 300 but I've never attempted such a thing.

Truck stops and truck tire service centers can easily do the job as they run higher pressure compressors

We carry a small 2 gallon Air Compressor with us at all times in the RV.  Comes in handy for many things while on the road.  Has 125PSI.  Also carry all my air tools.  Never know when you or someone else on the road might need useage of them. Have used many times even to help construct small sheds for people we were visiting. Helped some blow out the water lines in a deep freeze area one night.  You can fine many uses.  Bought this $75 rig at a Big Lots store when just snooping around.  Couldn't resist and glad I did.  Great videos, everyone should view, even if we think we know it all, fabulous reminder.  Happy motoring, good luck, and down the road we go.

The great video is in the Blow=out posts  Sorry for the confusion

tyefighter said:
My question is how do you air up your tires?

I usually pull into one of the Les Schwab Tire Centers here on the West Coast. The don't have the best tires for RV's

I disagree. Les Schwab supplies Toyo tires for Country Coach over in Junction City...but then I have a Country Coach. Since I run my fronts at 120 psi, I use truckstops and tire stores to top off.

Thanks again Tom--  This is getting to be a age factor for me, I guess.  I couldn/t remember where I saw it  HEHEHE Better start writing things down,  naw I'd just forget where I put them LOL

Albslb2 said:
I couldn/t remember where I saw it

Neither could I, so you're not alone. A few tips:

• If a topic looks like it might be something you'd look back at later, click the Bookmark button in the toolbar while viewing the topic. To go back to it later, click the Bookmarks drop-down box beneath your name (top left of your screen).
  • If it's a topic you've posted in, click the Show Your Posts link beneath your name (top left of your screen).
  • Use one of the Search options above.

If none of these work, I tell myself I'm losing it.

We had occasion to visit Les Schwab in OR, not once, but in two different locations.  The first one replaced a worn extender for the princely sum of $4.50 and the second put on the spare for $21.50.  Both of these were emergency repairs with little advance notice.  They just said to come on in.

I haven't bought any tires from them but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if I needed them and was near one of their stores.

tyefighter said:
.? I feel that I have to because Schawb is one of our company's larger accounts.? Still wont buy RV tires there though.

Les Schwabb was wonderful in getting us a new tire.? We were in Colorado when the sidewall split on one of our rear outside tires.? (they were at 5 years old)? There were no Les Schwabb dealers close by so we ordered a tire from another tire dealer in Cortez, Colorado and waited around a week for it to come in.? After waiting a week they wanted to switch us to another brand tire and said there were no Toyo tires around.? As we were on our way to Les Schwab's in Oregon to purchase all new tires, we wanted all tires to match so told them to forget it.? We called Les Schwab in Oregon and they? sent a tire to the dealer closest to us which was in Utah.? We pulled in, got a new tire in about 10 minutes AND they sent the tire into Toyo as it should not have failed the way it did and we were given a rebate credit on a tire? nearly 5 years old. They will order any tires you want.? We are very happy with Les Schwabb.

Betty and Terry Brewer

I carry a 2 Hp, 125 psi Sears tankless compressor and it does a fine job on my tires (and those of everyone who has borrowed it too).  However, mine run at 85 psi, so I'm not trying to squeeze the last bit from the compressor.  Generally, you are only adding a small amount anyway, something in the 2-10 psi range.  It doesn't take long, even with a relatively low volume compressor.

Since my coach has hydraulic brakes rather than air, I don't have the option of using the chassis air system to inflate tires. But any rig with a generator can make use of a small 120V compressor.  If you have the room, a tank type is better, but I went with the tankless type  because we carry a lot of builky "stuff" to entertain ourselves while on the road.

RV Roamer said:
I carry a 2 Hp, 125 psi Sears tankless compressor and it does a fine job on my tires (and those of everyone who has borrowed it too).  However, mine run at 85 psi, so I'm not trying to squeeze the last bit from the compressor. 

Gary,
What's the model number of that compressor? Think I'll get one. My compressor just bit the dust.

Tom said:
  • If a topic looks like it might be something you'd look back at later, click the Bookmark button in the toolbar while viewing the topic.

• Tom,

After bookmarking a topic, how do you remove the bookmark from the drop down list?

JerryF

JerArdra said:
After bookmarking a topic, how do you remove the bookmark from the drop down list?

Jerry, while viewing the previously-bookmarked message, just click the Bookmark button in the toolbar (just like you did to add it to the list). That button really should be labelled "Add/remove bookmark", but there's not enough room on the button (or it would be a very large button). I suppose I could duplicate the button, naming one "Add" and the other "remove", but I suspect that would merely add to the confusion.

BTW don't forget the Resources button in the toolbar - should help answer some questions.

Gary,
What's the model number of that compressor? Think I'll get one. My compressor just bit the dust.

Bruce,
They don't carry my model anymore, but they do have a little 120V unit that might work for you.  Look up  Craftsman 120 volt Air Compressor Inflator Sears item #02875117000 Mfr. model #75117 on Sears.com.

Campbell Hausfield has one somewhat like mine - they might have been the OEM for Sears. It's the FP2004 model.  It's more powerful than the current Sears tankless.  See http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_180_25&products_id=58 

I used to carry an air tank when off roading for emergency or airing back up. Unfortunately the regulator broke and I threw the tank out. Is there a good portable compact compressor I can carry in the car for car tires only? We did some 4 wheeling on the Dumont sand dunes and the Calico mountains and I would have liked to have aired the tires down 15-20 pounds but didn't have the ability to air back up when finished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom