Air Conditioner Amp draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Coleman Mach 3 13500 BTU. Supposed to be 12.3 Hi draw on Hi Cool. Of course when comp kicks in it will go higher. But I saw 21 amps when testing. That was enough to kill the generator. Well, put it in overload and AC shutdown.

I am awaiting Monday to contact company, but any idea of cause? A bad cap. (I installed the Coleman soft start), run cap, start cap? Or I hope not, the compressor. That is a death knell for an RV AC. Unit is only 3 years old. I watched it run from generator before I bought it, but it was a 4k unit. I am selling my Honda 2000 and looking at a 2600. If 21 amps is normal for short time, maybew I need something bigger.

A 13.5 roof top unit should draw 1,500w/12.5A when running, an additional 1,000W/ 8.3A at startup.
It requires the same amount of amperage; a soft-start merely spreads the startup amperage over a longer period so the peak is flatter.
references:

That current draw sounds reasonable. One of the "Downsides" to Inverter generators (There are only two downsides $$$$$ and this) is that when they say 2000 watts PEAK they do not mean 2001 it's a hard limit... My old 1,000 watt Traditional generator routinely hit 1200 no problems.

But on an 2000i The 2000 is a hard limit.

Likewise a 20 amp Circuit breaker will trip at anything from around 17 to 25 depending on the duration and a few other factors.. But the higher the current the faster the "click of darkness"

I think it's Victron makes a battery/inverter/charger package (Kind of pricy) that plugs in between the Portable genny and your RV if it detects an overload the inverter cuts in in parallel with the gasoline generator's inverter and you get COOLING. then once the A/C has started it slowly recharges it's internal battery.

I should say Makes. or Made. I do not have a link.

We run our RV 14,000 BTU/H AC using a propane modified Honda EU2200i generator and MicroAir EasyStart (which does a far better job for this purpose than a capacitor...but costs much more too). Propane because we don't want to smell the exhaust from a diesel or gasoline generator when camping in the outdoors. This generator is small, quiet and reliable and we have been very happy with this arrangement.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

Another factor my Progressive Dynamics 80 amp converter. If the batteries are "Hungry" can draw an easy thousand watts (about 9-10 amps But as the batteries fill up the draw from the coverter drops down to around 1-2 amps.

We run our RV 14,000 BTU/H AC using a propane modified Honda EU2200i generator and MicroAir EasyStart (which does a far better job for this purpose than a capacitor...but costs much more too). Propane because we don't want to smell the exhaust from a diesel or gasoline generator when camping in the outdoors. This generator is small, quiet and reliable and we have been very happy with this arrangement.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita
An EasyStart is a capacitor with a built in microprocessor which monitors both starting and running amps.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita
Hmmm, on my last rig I used the MicroAir. I wonder though, would that do the trick? I am progressively spending more on this, to the point I may have been better off buying a new 9000 btu AC than the used 13500.

Hmmm, on my last rig I used the MicroAir. I wonder though, would that do the trick? I am progressively spending more on this, to the point I may have been better off buying a new 9000 btu AC than the used 13500.
It's worth a shot. I can just tell you I couldn't run my 15k on a 20 amp shore power and any other draw simultaneously. I installed the softstart capacitor and haven't had any issues since. Now when I'm on a 30 amp pedestal I can run the a/c and any other appliance w/o tripping the pedestal breaker.

I can't say for sure because you have a 2,000 Watt generator and we have a 2,200 Watt generator. But you also have 13,500 BTU/H AC and we have 14,000 BTU/H AC. The customer service folks at MicroAir were great and I think they would give you an answer I would trust. Likely a discount too.

What we can say for sure is that with only a soft start capacitor, our generator could not remotely run our AC. With the MicroAir EasyStart installed, it easily runs the AC.

For us, having a lightweight and small generator was very important. We only need and use our generator for operating our AC. Our Group 27 100AH LIFEPO4 battery, 200 Watt portable solar suitcase and 3000 Watt inverter arrangement easily satisfies all of our 120VAC short duration power needs (e.g., our coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave oven, toaster oven, toilet bidet seat, vacuum, etc.) without needing to operate our generator.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

Last edited:
Or a bigger generator, e.g. an EU2200i instead of the 2000i. You should have no problem selling the smaller generator at a decent price. You can get a Champion 2500 for around $550.

I can't say for sure because you have a 2,000 Watt generator and we have a 2,200 Watt generator. But you also have a 13,500 BTU/H AC and we have a 14,000 BTU/H AC. I would suggest asking the customer service folks at MicroAir this question. I found them to be honest and great to work with. They will likely give you a discount too.

What we can say for sure is that with only a soft start capacitor, our generator could not remotely run our AC. With the MicroAir EasyStart installed, it easily runs the AC.

For us, having a lightweight and small generator was very important. We only need and use our generator for operating our AC. Our Group 27 100AH LIFEPO4 battery, 200 Watt portable solar suitcase and 3000 Watt inverter arrangement easily satisfies all of our 120VAC short duration power needs (e.g., our coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave oven, toaster oven, toilet bidet seat, vacuum, etc.) without needing to operate our generator.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

Microair was not that helpful in their email response. Maybe I was not clear in my question. I had much better conversation with them last time. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the competitors products I was having issue with.

I started with two champion 2000 Watt inverter generators that ran in parallel and would run our AC, and DC controller with no problem, except that I'd have to refuel the two of them every two to three hours.
Ended up giving one of them away and bought an Onan cummins 4500i and couldn't be more pleased. It will run our AC and DC controller and water heater and run for up to 9 hours on a tank full. The remote start is really a nice feature as well. With a front hitch mounted carrier, I can power our TT without having to unload the generator.
All I can say is try not to skimp on the necessities. Get the right tool to do the job.

Safe travels and all the best.

141657_1.jpg

$1393 Camping World, cannot find dual fuel on Amazon

61+xnj2Q3aL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

$879, amazon

Same generator, different colors, very different prices. (if comparing identical features such as dual fuel)

Charles

Years ago, I researched and tested my Coleman 13.5 A/C for amp draw, especially on compressor start up. Using a high dollar recording amp meter (on loan) the results were astounding.

On repeated start up, the stock Coleman reported 33 to 36 amps for approximately 126K to 131Kμs (microseconds). That is the culprit for tripping the generators. A slow start device simply increases the time (in microseconds) to bring the device online thus lowering the resultant amps to less than the generators senses.

I easily have a 1000 hours on my Honda 2000i boon-docking enjoying quiet A/C. I do have to turn off the Coleman to microwave anything, however that is not a big problem.

Added a similar circuit to the boat and removed the heavy, noisy generator, replaced with a 2000i.

Years ago, I researched and tested my Coleman 13.5 A/C for amp draw, especially on compressor start up. Using a high dollar recording amp meter (on loan) the results were astounding.

On repeated start up, the stock Coleman reported 33 to 36 amps for approximately 126K to 131Kμs (microseconds). That is the culprit for tripping the generators. A slow start device simply increases the time (in microseconds) to bring the device online thus lowering the resultant amps to less than the generators senses.

I easily have a 1000 hours on my Honda 2000i boon-docking enjoying quiet A/C. I do have to turn off the Coleman to microwave anything, however that is not a big problem.

Added a similar circuit to the boat and removed the heavy, noisy generator, replaced with a 2000i.
Which slowstart did you install? I. bought the Coleman Mach version, but it is not helping. I have ordered a 3600 watt gen, Honda on marketplace, wading thru the idiot responses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom