AIR CONDITIONER QUESTION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Y'all.
We have a pair of Dometic Penguin roof air conditioners that are original equipment on our 1993 Wanderlodge.(The middle unit has been replaced). That means they are at least 12 years old. The bedroom air conditioner's fan is so noisy that Liz refuses to use it.  The livingroom air conditioner's fan is getting slightly noisy, too. And Liz is starting to make unhappy noises about that!! :(  :(   

There is 1/4 to 3/8 inch of play on the fan motor bearings/bushings.  The compressors APPEAR to be OK.  The question is what is the average life expectancy of the compressor? If it is 10 to 15 years, then I need to replace both air conditioners.  If it is 20 years or more, then I need to replace JUST the fan motors, which is a LOT cheaper.  Answers, comments and suggestions would be MOST welcome.

Regards,
Jack(now UNEMPLOYED)

My 91 Beaver is still running strong on the original AC units, with no problems.  If you can get to the fan motors, why not just replace them or take them to a local auto electric shop and get new bearings and burshes? That's what I do first, rather than spend all that fuel money for new ACs, especially if they still cool OK.

We up over 120K miles now and the AC run almost all the time while we're on the road as well as in a campground ( unless the outside temp is below 70).

Chet18013

Our coach is an 1989 vintage that has 2 AC Penguin units.  We have had this coach for 15 years, a Georgie Boy Encounter.  Both AC units have suffered control circuit board failures at different times.  The front unit, used most often failed first, about 2003.  I replaced the circuit board with an upgrade kit, with excellent support from the Dometic factory.  Unfortunately a year later that unit had a cooling coil failure.  On/off cycling causes fatigue in the coil tubes.  We replaced that entire unit with a new higher capacity version rather than trying to repair it.  We are glad we did that as it can now better cool the front, living and kitchen areas.  The rear unit had the circuit board failure in 2005 and it still working fine.  I used the upgrade kit from the old front unit, glad I saved the front unit for parts.

Robert Flight
Rochester, NY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom