Air conditioning covers black or white ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capt stu

I am interested in input about air conditioners covers . We are updating/ remodeling our 2008 Tiffin open road . We currently have black covers on both units and I am going to repaint them . I am considering painting them white . My thought is it may improve their efficiency a tiny bit . Any input is appreciated, but please be kind .

I'd paint them whatever color best matches your rig. I'd be surprised if any efficiency difference would be enough to notice or measure

Dark colors absorb heat.  Light colors reflect heat.  It is a basic fact of life.  Sit in a back car for 5 mintes with the windows closed if you dont believe it.  Light colors will always reduce cooling necessary.

Depending on the quality of paint, it may peel or chip exposing the original black.  A coat of the original color may give better  long term results.

50  / 50 chance of getting a consensus one way or the other...... about equal results if you ask if democrats or republicans have it right  :)

White or another light matching color.  Stand in a parking lot in 110 heat and try to hold your hand on a black car, then a lighter gray car and then a white car.  You won't be able to keep your hand on the black car for more than a few seconds.

When we were working on the order for our current Monaco we asked them to put the darker of the three colors on the bottom and the lightest color on the top.  They had always had the darker color toward the top and changed after doing ours.  We told them we live in a desert and want the lightest colors toward the sun because it's easier to keep it cool inside.  We also buy white cars.  They not only reflect heat better but they don't show dirt as much as dark colors.  We've even painted the black Silverleaf box that sits on our dashboard.  It's now a light beige.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom