Air Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charles

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on either foam air filters or the cotton Allison air filters for a diesel engine (Cummins 400 and/or Onan quiet diesel generator)?  Thanks.

Charles said:
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on either foam air filters or the cotton Allison air filters for a diesel engine (Cummins 400 and/or Onan quiet diesel generator)?? Thanks.

I strongly recommend you use the filter recommended by the chassis manufacturer. Some of the others like K&N may not filter as well as the OEM filter.

When I checked first with Cummins, the rep said as long as the filter met their specifications, it was okay & would not cause a problem with the engine or the warranty.  The specs show the filter exceeds the specifications of the standard filter, meaning more air flow while still cleaning to a smaller micron than the standard paper filter.

Charles

I installed the K&N filter on my previous coach. Was not impressed. Cummins and CAT will look to the filter to deny warranty claims if they can show that it was involved in the failure. I strongly recommend the factory filters.

The last data I saw the KN filters while providing a better airflow they sacrafice filtration qualities.  Tha last chart I saw comparing filters the KN did not do a good job of filtration.  Let put i t another way NO KN filters on my equipment.

For the "what it's worth department" I've just purchased conventional, OEM filters.

Smiles.
:)

Ron:  I too had a K&N put on the Dutch Star five or six years ago.  Went to clean it and could not even get it out of the canister.  The gauge still showed it a being good.  I could see there was not way I could clean it and the canister good enough to reinstall it.  Went back to a good Donaldson paper filter.  Later read in AMSOIL news about the tests they did on about 7 or 8 different filters.  K&N was bad until it got to the clogged state.  They suggest a good paper - and I think now AMSOIL sells the Donaldson.  Also said the filter should be changed every two years as it takes about that long for the binder and glue to go bad????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom