Air lube guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Has anyone used an ait lube gun when greasing the chassis of their coach? I've always used the lever type and sometimes wish there was a better way. A mobile service guy at the FMCA rally used one, although I didn't pay a lot of attention. Are they better or easier to use than the lever type? Any disadvantages?

TIA.

I always use the hand operated grease gun.  Less chance of blowing out steering knuckle seals and such.  Never even felt the need to use an air grease gun.

With a hoist an air gun makes sense, but if you are working on a motor home which has all wheels on the ground so you are crawling around under it dragging that air line is going to get to be a pain. 

Plus there are jobs an air gun just won't do.  I'd go with the lever kind,  Less expensive, more reliable and you do not get tangled up in the hose

Unless. Of course, you are in a shop with a proper lube rack or hoist

Here ya go Tom !

A cordless grease gun  ;D

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/grease-guns-and-oil-dispensing-tools/detail/LIN1442/

Tom

I bought a cordless one & will probably try it out this weekend on the front end after changing the genset oil & coolant.

Well now yer tells me about a cordless lube gun. I just came home from Harbor Freight, having bought an air one. If it doesn't work, I'm out of pocket only $12.99.

I intentionally left the cordless grease gun off the list.

Of course we have had cordless "Grease guns" for a long time... Just today's shoot lubrication

Tom said:
Well now yer tells me about a cordless lube gun. I just came home from Harbor Freight, having bought an air one. If it doesn't work, I'm out of pocket only $12.99.

Tom:

Bring it along, you can do all our coaches. <grin>

LOL Jeff, I don't think so. I have enough to do maintaining the house, the coach, the cars and the fleet.

LOL Karl, Terry could slide under all the coaches a lot easier than I could.

I have used one many times very successfully and since I have an auxilliary compressor on the coach, it works great.  It is especially usefull for fittings that have gotten partially stopped up and for joints that have a great deal of pressure on them, such as Kink Pins.

Since Ron R. was concerned about blowing out seals, just turn down the pressure.

I've gotten where I allow a service guy to do mine most of the time now.  I'm getting tired of crawling under these things.  I do it when I suspect a problem.

Ron from Big D said:
I have used one many times very successfully ...

Thanks Ron. I definitely plan to give it a whirl.

I just finished doing the front end with my 12v lube gun & it worked great.

It is a ProXOne Grease Gun from Checker Auto parts. I bought it for about $50.00 on sale.

Thanks Terry. Looks like you got a good deal. They don't appear to have that or any 12V grease/lube gun on their web site. Maybe it was an in-store special. OTOH since their web site wouldn't let me view anything without my zip code, maybe it's not available in all stores. I found other brands at another site.

Hi Tom I've used all 3 types and always seem to end up using a good quality hand gun with a hose. The air grease guns work very well, are fast, and easy to use. But you can't feel it as well and the hose is a drag. I had a friend with a cordless that I tried out and I really didn't like it, but he swears by it. It was a bit clumsy and it did not have a hose. So my vote is still for the old fashioned ones, but a good one.

Thanks for that Dick. I still have time to return the air gun I bought &/or to buy a cordless one. Still have the lever type of course. Looks like the cordless gun Terry bought has a hose, as does the air gun I bought and, of course, my lever type.

Dick

>>cordless that I tried out and I really didn't like it, but he swears by it. It was a bit clumsy and it did not have a hose<<

Mine has a 30" hose, I have the unit laying on the ground or my stomach & operate it with one finger...couldn't be easier & it really excels in the tight spaces & awkward positions found under the motorhome.

Back
Top Bottom