Air Pressure Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimic

I bought a used (2000) DP a couple of months ago.  I spend a lot of time worrying about what can go wrong (as it sits in the driveway).  I live in WA and it has been well below or just above freezing for about three weeks. I winterized the MH and have it plugged in to a 50 amp service with the heat on at a very low temp (~40 deg.).  After reading several posts, on a couple of boards, I decided not to start the MH while the temp was in the low teens.  Today with temps in the low 30s I started the MH and generator (unpluggin the mh) and ran the systems to operating temps.  In doing so I noticed that the air pressure gage was either pegged over #150 or at zero. (Over thanksgiving we took it out for a day and the pressure was between #105 and #120).  Being a civilian/govt. nuke and having it drilled into my head to always believe my indications, I have to wonder if it is even possible for the air presssure to be pegged and, even with diminished eyesight ( I did not turn on the lights), do not really believe that it is zero.  I have also seen reactor trips cause by frozen sensing lines.  Is the indication correct?  Should I take it off the jacks to see if the airbags are still inflated?  Any opinions will be appreciated.

Mimic:

Many of us have aux air outlets on the coach to allow having air available for inflating tires, etc. If you do you might get a gauge and measure the pressure at that point to see what the system has.

Is the MH on a Freightliner Chassis??  If it is, it sounds like a problem many of us have run into over the years.  If it is a FL, send me a private E-Mail so I can send some information to you about what the problem may be, and ho to fix it if it is.

I suspect a VDU which is the computer and sensors that run the displays.

In my opinion an air gauge that is pegged at either extreme is much more likely an gauge failure rather than an air system failure. They are usually an electronic indicator rather than an analog gauge and a pegged needle is a common failure or reset state. Mine does both during start-up - goes to full scale, then zero, then full again, then zero again and finally settles to the actual reading.  Also, there would usually be a low air alarm sounding if the pressure was less than about 65 psi. Does yours normally sound a buzzer or chime when you first start and pressure hasn't built up yet? If so, and this alarm is now off, you probably have normal pressure. 

The chassis is a Magnum.  There are so many alarms that go off when I start up I am not sure what is what as they all cease at approximately the same time.  Yes, there is a buzzer amongst the cacophony, however anemic, and it is not on.  My gages go full scale and then to their respective, and I assume correct, readings.  I should have thought about the exterior air hose bib.  I will try it this morning.  Thanks.

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the forums at this site?  I tried for several days without being able to get anywhere other than the home page.  I was finally able to enter last night and this morning after several aborted attemps and long waits.

mimic said:
Is anyone else having trouble getting to the forums at this site?  I tried for several days without being able to get anywhere other than the home page.

I did notice a burp in the server late last evening which lasted for several minutes. However, I've also been modifying various files over the last week and this might have affected your ability to get in, but only for short periods of time. I usually try to do this when there are few, if any, members online but it's not always possible.

Which "home page" were you able to get to? Was it our web site or this page? Thanks.

I was able to get to the home page but not from there to the forum.

mimic said:
I was able to get to the home page but not from there to the forum.

Thanks. Sounds like you're saying you were able to get to our web site, but not our message boards. Since the web site is on the same server as the forum message boards, it rules out the server as being the problem. It's possible you were trying to navigate the forum while I was uploading/changing/deleting files that are part of the forum software. However, the forum would have been unavailable for only short periods of time, typically less than 30 seconds at a time, although I was doing quite a bit of it over the last few days.

Yes, I was able to get to the website but not the forums.  It has happened over the past 2-3 weeks using three different ISPs in TX and WA.  I was finally able to get to the forum using a forum specific bookmark on my laptop.  I tried several links on the website at different times of day.  It would appear that the link was going to work but then would just quit.

I'm here almost continually and monitor the performance of the forum. I also log forum outages and the server also keeps a log. The only prolonged period of non-availability was when I put the forum in maintenance mode for approx 3 hours during the wee hours between Saturday 12/2 and Sunday 12/3, as explained in this message. Anyone trying to get in during that time would only have been able to get to the web site.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been making minor changes since then, but these would have caused only very small interruptions, typically less than 30 seconds.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what was happening when you couldn't get into the forum message boards.

I just hated to miss learning about all of the new things I should be worrying about.  LOL

Tom  I had a simular problem recently Cookie and files were so full, couldn't do anything on here.  Cleaned them and all is fine  I had forgotten I shut off the auto clear.  Dumny,  For a Comuter operator I Mke a good ditch digger with a bad back and no shovel.

Back
Top Bottom