Air tank drain valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Several folks have previously reported having toggle valves on the bottom of their air tanks with lanyards attached, allowing the tanks to be drained without getting under the coach. The valves on my tanks are pet cocks that require crawling under there. Does anyone know if I could buy the other kind of valves with lanyards and switch them out?

TIA.

Ask the chassis manufacturer, in your case, Monaco.  Freightliner puts the lanyard operated valves on all their motorhome chassis.

Ned said:
Ask the chassis manufacturer, in your case, Monaco.? Freightliner puts the lanyard operated valves on all their motorhome chassis.

BothSpartan and Freightliner chassis have the lanyard operated valves.  I belive it is upto the motorhome manufacturer whether the lanyards are installed or not.

I wasn't sure about Spartan, just FL.  FL, I believe, installs the lanyards, but not all coach manufacturers extend them to outside of the frame.  Ours are coiled up underneath.

In Tom's case, lanyards won't help, he has petcocks and would need different valves.

I just got off the phone with Monaco tech support and the guy told me that lots of folks change out those valves for the type with lanyards. No good explanation for why Monaco doesn't put them on, although I suspect that some engineer somewhere has/had a good reason. I guess I need to contact Freightliner or Spartan to try to obtain a source of valves. Actually, I just thought of another possible source.

Tom

I have solenoid valves on mine that are operated by a switch on the instrument panel...I'd be surprised if the Signature/Executive didn't have them, & could be retrofitted to yours.

Tom,

Our Executive has the air valve itself extended to the front (front air tank) and rear area (rear air tank) where it can be reached easily.  OTOH, our Windsor required that you slide under the coach to check for water in the air tank.  BTW, I have never had ANY water in the tanks.  I use a dry Kleenex and let the air burst blow onto to it.  Then by touching it to my lips I can detect even the most minuscule amounts of water.

I didn't mind going under because I ALWAYS go under the entire coach once or twice a year to check for anything that may cause a problem down the road and to see the brake linings.  I also go up top to inspect the roof area.

JerryF

Thanks Jerry. Sounds like our Camelot is like your Windsor was. You're a lot skinnier than me and, although I go under the coach to service it, going under there at the prescribed monthly interval is something of a pain.

Like you, I've never experienced any moisture coming out, although I'm conscious that one or more forum members have said that they don't experience any moisture unless/until all the air has been expelled from a tank.

Our Executive has the air valve itself extended to the front (front air tank) and rear area (rear air tank) where it can be reached easily.

That explains one thing the tech support guy mentioned that I didn't quite understand.

Hi Terry. Must be nice having dash-operated solenoid valves. Based on Jerry's reply, it sounds like the Executive doesn't have solenoid valves, but I'll check with a couple of friends/forum members who recently bought new Signatures.

LOL thanks Al. You knew you were going to be my next call  ;D

Tom

>> Must be nice having dash-operated solenoid valves.<<

It sure is, my favorite valve is the water fill, press a switch , it fills the tank & shuts off when full...I'm sure CC parts would sell you some. I purchased some halogen lights for Ken Kuch from them several years ago.

By the way, I've never had any moisture in almost 8 years...Those air purge valves must really work.

Terry A. Brewer said:
By the way, I've never had any moisture in almost 8 years...Those air purge valves must really work.

Terry, how would you know what's coming out of the tank if you're pressing a button at the dash  ???

Tom

>>Terry, how would you know what's coming out of the tank if you're pressing a button at the dash<<

Either Betty or I activate it & the other monitors the out-put. They are located at the front cap, put your hand or piece of paper in front of it to check for moisture.

Terry A. Brewer said:
hey are located at the front cap...

Ah, I see. I was imagining you pressing the switch at the dash and Betty crawling under the coach with a paper towel. But somehow it didn't fit Betty's description of a pink job.

Tom

>>But somehow it didn't fit Betty's description of a pink job.<<

She usually pushes the switch<G>....but since I've never see any water I just normally drain them once a month & check the ground for any spray.

Attached is a pic of them...they are the 3 hoses on the left, the solenoids are on the top.

Attachments

• Front End (Small).JPG
    Front End (Small).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the photo Terry. That's definitely a nice feature.

Chet18013 said:
The air drain valves on our old Beaver--'91--are mounted on a bracket just under the front bumber.

Chet, I wonder if they were omitted on later models as part of the Monaco'izing of the Beaver line. This was one of numerous opportunities for Monaco to adopt 'best practices' from their acquisitions and apply them across all their lines. OTOH someone might have considered additional air lines as a potential liability and therefore considered omitting them as a product improvement. They wouldn't have done it for cost reduction, right?

American Coaches including our Eagle is equipped with automatic drains. ?There is also a way to drain them manually. ?I have never found any moisture when draining them manually. ?I have even held the drain open until no air remained in the tank with no moisture found. ?It appears the automatic tank drains are working well.

Back
Top Bottom