Air up tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Here is something about loading a MH that really bothers me.  We are supposed to check our tires when cold, i.e. after sitting at least 3 hours.  OK... so we find a tire under pressure.  Now it is off to the truck stop to inflate the tire.  By the time we get there, the tire is hot.  I never have the leisure of sitting for 3 hours at a truck stop to wait to bring the tire to specs.  The Admiral (wife) refuses to overnight at a truck stop.  This would be a viable solution for me when on a long haul, but she won't agree.

Anyone have a solution other than carrying your own compressor. I envy those who only need 90 PSI.  My tires require 120, and my built in air hose only supplies 110.

Suggestions?

Smoky:

My Freightliner air system will cycle down to about 110PSI but if I run the engine I will get up to 130PSI at the top of the cycle.

Write down the cold presure, calculate the psi needed to bring it up to taget.

At truck stop, measure hot presure, then add the previously calculated psi amount.

Smokey;  I had to buy and carry a compressor.  My onboard air pumps to 115 and does not come on untill the pressure drops to 95 psi.  Can't pump anything over 95 with it.  The onboard compressor solved my problem.  The idea Rus has sounds good to me it you don't mind going to a truck stop.  The new G640 tires have not needed air for four months now.

I have tried Russ's idea of adding air on a previously calculated basis.  some truck stops will work, but some cannot even get up to the 135-140 range that would be needed.

Ron, my on coach system won't give me any more than 110, but I will try the method you suggested at dinner last night, having the Admiral pump the air brakes, and then filling as the compressor kicks in to refill the air system.  That is a nifty idea if it works.

I originally thought about carrying a separate compressor, but I am already overweight, and now we are adding some heavy satellite equipment.  Ugh.  Maybe if we throw away all our clothes and drive around naked?

I originally thought about carrying a separate compressor, but I am already overweight, and now we are adding some heavy satellite equipment.  Ugh.  Maybe if we throw away all our clothes and drive around naked?

Smoky:

The ironing board has definitely got to go. ;D

Unfortunately, the Admiral says if her ironing board goes, so does my brand new satellite dish.  Hmmm.  In that case the ironing board stays!    ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom