Airbags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gas or diesel? Either way, if it can be done it would be quite expensive for a true air suspension, but if you will share which class A rig there are likely folks here who can give you a better answer.

We have a 2001 Damon Intruder. Gas. We love everything about this MH except how it rides. My husband is a retired truck driver and is used to air ride and was thinking this might be a possibility rather than buying a dp.

We were much the same but after looking into the cost we decided to live with the ride. I did add air bags to both the front and rear but didn't replace the spring system and we found the ride and the handling both improved but didn't match the air ride found in most diesel pushers. If you look at the Kelderman system the front kit is $2525 and the rear is $2875, for a total cost of $5,400 for parts and that doesn't include installation or an onboard compressor system. The reviews for them are excellent. I know someone who had the front only done and added Firestone air bags to the rear and they were very happy with the result. Firestone air bags alone can be added for about $500 for 4 bags.

Last edited:
You can replace leaf springs with air springs (see the other replies) but that won't give you all the advantages of a coach air suspension, e.g. auto ride height adjustment and load compensation. Nor will it get you the inherent advantages that most air-suspension coaches have, e.g. a stiffer, heavier chassis, most likely with a longer wheelbase. Probably a big improvement, though (I have no first hand knowledge).
There are also other enhancements for spring suspensions that get good reviews, e.g. Sumo Springs and various airbag or air shock assists.

IMO it would be much better to add Liquid-Springs to a mechanical sprung chassis. You'll have the suspension/ride improvement without The hassle of repairing air leaks and maintenance. They now make retrofits for both rear and front suspension.

As the owner of a 2002 class A motorhome it pains me to say this, but there is not a lot you can do to improve the suspension of that coach that makes much economic sense. There are things you can do to make it better, Sumo Springs, rear helper air bags, sway bars, track bars, etc. but even if you are a DIY'er it will cost thousands of dollars, and the end result with be a moderate improvement over what you have now at best.

My father just put Sumo springs in his 2016? Allegro Open Road (Ford F53). He said it made all the difference in the world. No, it's not an air ride setup but the stock F53 suspension, most gas Class A's have very...compliant...suspensions. That makes for a lot of oceanic motion. He said the Sumos stiffened it up quite a bit and it rides much better.

You'll have the suspension/ride improvement without The hassle of repairing air leaks and maintenance. They now make retrofits for both rear and front suspension.
What is this hassle of repairing air leaks and maintenance? My first class A was a 1987 Allegro on the GM P-30 chassis that had front air bags standard and I did have to replace 1 of the bags after it was 10 years old but after I added 4 air bags to our later F53 chassis I never experienced any leaks and only occasionally needed to adjust the air pressure, which was the only maintenance?

The people who I know that added the Kelderman air ride system have never mentioned any leaks or maintenance. I was unable to find any pricing for an addon Liquid spring system but feel pretty safe in thinking that it must cost at least what the Kelderman system does, while air bags cost a very small fraction of that. I looking though the Liquid Spring site, I don't doubt that it would be superior to adding air bags like I did, but at what cost?

What is this hassle of repairing air leaks and maintenance? My first class A was a 1987 Allegro on the GM P-30 chassis that had front air bags standard and I did have to replace 1 of the bags after it was 10 years old but after I added 4 air bags to our later F53 chassis I never experienced any leaks and only occasionally needed to adjust the air pressure, which was the only maintenance?

The people who I know that added the Kelderman air ride system have never mentioned any leaks or maintenance. I was unable to find any pricing for an addon Liquid spring system but feel pretty safe in thinking that it must cost at least what the Kelderman system does, while air bags cost a very small fraction of that. I looking though the Liquid Spring site, I don't doubt that it would be superior to adding air bags like I did, but at what cost?
Air bags are much different than his idea of converting to full air ride/suspension. but perhaps I misinterpreted his question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom