AirSkirt: a new type of RV insulating skirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Saw this RV skirting article on RV Life. It's an info-mercial rather than a review, but it looks to be a handy tool for those who stay long term in an RV, winter or summer. Basically a set of inflatable air bags that are fit together to form a skirt around the underside of a parked RV. Seems like a great idea - hope it works as well as claimed!

They were setup at the last Escapade. It is much like an inflatable mattress but in long pillows to go under each side, front, and rear. There were 2 flaws that would concern me. In cold weather the air pressure inside would drop and then rise in hot weather. The second issue that I believe could be a problem is where to store them. In fairness, I didn't have the opportunity to visit with the person who brought the display so there may be answers for both of those issues. If we were still on the road full-time I would at least take a look at Air Skirts and consider what they would do. I do believe that they are the most portable solution that does more than just block wind that I have seen.

I doubt if it would be practical to set up the skirts when traveling, but it makes sense for people who stay months in one place. And a heck of a lot easier to manage than straw bales or some other form of weather skirting. And maybe not all that different in total cost either. Storage isn't much of an issue if you are insulating a trailer set up on a year-around site or as a hunting/fishing cabin.

I suspect you would want to adjust the air pressure if you installed it during warm weather and transitioned to norther winter temps. Or vice versa.

It looks like it could be a decent product for some. I just had a skirt built for mine last winter. It is insulated and fit for my 5ver with the jacks all the way out plus 8" to be certain it will reach the ground. I was on the SW corner of Lake Michigan all winter and never froze up once. Pros of mine are it fits perfectly and looks good enough that I could have it on year round. Cons are it takes up a good deal of storage space and overall adds to the weight of my rig going down the road.

I'm betting that these airbags aren't light themselves even deflated and storage/travel weight would present the same issues. Needing to order them for a specific ground clearance is great if you know it will be similar wherever you're gonna be at. Also I didn't see anything about accessing holding tank valve handles but probably missed it.

I recently saw a review by a couple who have them and a negative they pointed out is they tend to need to be at least partially re inflated from time to time.

Small RV Skirt Kit High
16' - 24' High Clearance
$1999 $1899.00
air.jpg

They have a chat link so you could ask about storage space and weight requirements. I went through the steps on the site to determine what would be needed for our small travel trailer of 20'. It would be interesting to know what they weigh.

Back
Top Bottom