Alaska Highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

Hi, We are giving serious consideration to driving to Alaska next year.  I don't believe we will take the TT, probably just drive the pickup.  As I was checking through some of the destination threads here, I see that several of you have done this. We were thinking about driving up and taking the marine highway back or vice verse.  We would love to hear any suggestions about things we should not miss, preferred routes, best time of year , etc.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
Jake

I did this 3 yrs ago and plan to return next summer.

Go early, much less crowded.

Do the ferry segment northbound. Then you can extend your stay if you really like it.

Slow down! Those frost heaves and bridge transitions are real.

Great bear viewing at Stewart/Hyder.

Buy Milepost magazine after new edition comes out March 1.

That is a good point about taking the ferry north that I hadn't thought of. It would be easier to hit a ferry reservation at the start of the trip than at the end.  Did you have any trouble finding accomdations as you went along? Since we won't be taking the TT, we will be staying at motels along the way.  I would like to avoid making motel reservations along the way if practical.

Jake

"Did you have any trouble finding accomdations as you went along? Since we won't be taking the TT, we will be staying at motels along the way.  I would like to avoid making motel reservations along the way if practical."

I crossed into AK on Jun 1 & stayed 2 months. Never had to reserve a CG. Not even Jul3 in Seward. But as I exited into the Yukon, they were flooding in. I think reservations would be needed in Aug.

Did you have any trouble finding accomdations as you went along? Since we won't be taking the TT, we will be staying at motels along the way.  I would like to avoid making motel reservations along the way if practical.

OK, you are doing essentially what I did in 2003, except that I flew to Anchorage, drove to Fairbanks and trained from Fairbanks to Anchorage for the return flight.  Call ahead for tonight's reservations is advisable, use a AAA guide book or the Milepost. If you are at a tourist destination like Denali NP, reserve well ahead.  Reserve well ahead if you just have to stay at a particular hotel or B&B.   

Jake,

We did it counter clockwise twice because we took the Alaskan ferry from Prince Rupert, BC to Skagway, AK then drive to Dawsonson City, YT and so forth counter clockwise.  Then we drove the Alaskan Hwy back to the lower 48.  The ferry trip is just like a cruise with your own private cabin.  We left at 10am on a Saturday morning and arrived at Skagway by 9pm Sunday evening so we could see all the great sites along the inland passage.  Check with the Alaskan Ferry system for prices and times.  It's the trip of a lifetime!

JerryF

Thanks for the info on the ferry.  We are just starting to make our travel plans and getting a reservation on the ferry sets the date for everything else.  Thanks for the link.
Jake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom