Alaska travel tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John

>> One use of the transport film for me would be to apply it to the basement doors all along the sides of the coach.? We now have a coating of chip seal (tar) over extensive areas of the sides of the coach (and car) and it is extremely difficult to remove.? If you rub your hand over the areas, it literally feels just like non-skid or sandpaper.<<

I agree 100%....It is about the only thing I have disliked about the whole trip. I have already cleaned the front & fenders of the car 2 times with solvents & will probably have to do it again after the Cassiar Hwy.? I haven't done the sides yet or the motorhomes as this will take hrs & hrs & hrs.....

The automotive tar remover products  all seem to work OK on it, afterall, the stuff is fresh.  But Dri-wash handled ours pretty well too. Did it all in one day after we got back to warm country (St George, Utah).

Gary

>>But Dri-wash handled ours pretty well too.<<

You had different stuff then....Believe me Dri-wash wouldn't even begin to remove this stuff. I have to use heavy duty auto tar removers( Basically solvents safe for clear coat) to remove this CEMENT like substance. You could almost sand wood with it.

Cleaning all that 'stuff' off the outside of the coach and toad is a 'blue' job, right Terry??

John Canfield said:
If we ever come up here again, I will use the "skirt" between the coach and the car instead of the tow shield.  The leading edge of the Jeep's fenders  and the air dam under the front look like they were shot with a "gravel shotgun" - they are so pitted they would need to be replaced if the appearance is a concern.

John

If you have a diesel pusher you have to make sure that your exhaust pipe is well positioned, coming out of the side or very high and aimed to the side at the rear. We used the Underskirt for one day, our exhaust pipe burned a big hole in the Underskirt even going thru the kevlar shield I had sewn in below the exhaust. On the other hand, Tim & Jan Lynch were in Alaska the same time we were using the Underskirt and were pleased with it. However, they have a gasser with an exhaust pipe well forward.

This might be a dated comment, but we lived for many years in Alaska and came back on the AlCan highway. Back then it wasn't paved for about 1400 miles and rocks were a problem. Folks would buy rubber door matts and attach them to the gas tanks for protection. Wire shields were also attached to protect the windows....of course we got our windshield pock marked :mad: Lucky but that was all. Guess now it is paved and made travel "friendly." We might go back up there and visit but are told it is like LA (Anchorage) and best to keep our fine memories. Californiaized I guess. .....................................

John, we are finally back in the lower 48 at Moses Lake, WA, for a couple of days.  Yesterday we picked up some fresh gunk on the car, either from where they were spraying tar into some road cracks for some fresh resurfacing we drove over.  Fortunately, it looks like it will come off with water, or at most, Dry Wash'n'Guard.

We took the TransitShield off the other day and the car was nice and clean, except where the edges had come loose and we have chunks of hardened mud on the hood.  But no chips that we can see.  We saw several motor homes with the material on the bay doors and that is a good idea.

woodartist said:
This might be a dated comment, but we lived for many years in Alaska and came back on the AlCan highway. Back then it wasn't paved for about 1400 miles and rocks were a problem. Folks would buy rubber door matts and attach them to the gas tanks for protection. Wire shields were also attached to protect the windows....of course we got our windshield pock marked :mad: Lucky but that was all. Guess now it is paved and made travel "friendly." We might go back up there and visit but are told it is like LA (Anchorage) and best to keep our fine memories. Californiaized I guess

Us Fairbanksans have always called it Los Anchorage  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm very interested in this thread...  my hubby wanted to go this Nov/Dec (DUH!)...  I think I've convinced him it's not a good idea to go in the winter months.  I think we'll plan a trip for Apr/May 2007.  I need to be back home by late May because I run a seasonal business.

Looking forward to more tips, experience and advice....  Gail

Maybe Terry should just trade cars with one of us going up next year and just leave the mud on. ;D

If you go to Alaska in Nov/Dec many things will be closed: campgrounds, tourist attractions, roads.  I'm sure one of our AK ex-residents will tell you more about why you don't want to make the trip in the winter, besides the bone chilling, blood freezing cold :)

Ned said:
If you go to Alaska in Nov/Dec many things will be closed: campgrounds, tourist attractions, roads.? I'm sure one of our AK ex-residents will tell you more about why you don't want to make the trip in the winter, besides the bone chilling, blood freezing cold :)

Ned:

I have traveled to Fairbanks in February. 25 Below all day (6 hours long) and 25 MPH winds. It tool all day to get a Commander I was there to buy into a hangar and warm the place up enough to work. I sent a pilot back up there in June to get the airplane.

Jeff

>>Maybe Terry should just trade cars with one of us going up next year and just leave the mud on.<<

I almost took my old Montero, Wish I would have.? ?On the other hand it might not have made the Dempster Hwy trip.<G>

We took the same Alaska route as the caravans, counter-clockwise.? If I were to do it again I would leave the 1st part of May & go clockwise, visiting the West coast & Kenai peninsula-my favorites, when they were less crowded & hopefully better weather.

We made no reservations & would do it that way again with the exception of the bear viewing tour out of Homer with Emerald Air,? ]WWW.emeraldairservice.com] ? We couldn't get last minute reservations & was the only tour I regret missing.

Jeff,

25 below, they must have been having a heat wave.  What took so long to move the commander, chipping the tires out of the ice? :)

If anyone is interested, I have attached an Excel file that contains the Canadian border crossings. It can be imported into MS Streets & Trips and some other mapping software.

Attachments

• CanadianBorderCrossings.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 25
Terry, "We took the same Alaska route as the caravans, counter-clockwise...."  I'd be interested to see that itinerary to plan our trip.  Thanx,  Gail

artistrver said:
Terry, "We took the same Alaska route as the caravans, counter-clockwise...."? I'd be interested to see that itinerary to plan our trip.? ?

Gail,
I will be posting a complete itinerary upon the conclusion of our trip in 2 weeks. Basically we took the Al Can Highway up north and will take the Cassier Highway down south.?
Betty Brewer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom