Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some pics of some Elk visiting our campsite tonight.

Attachments

• Banff42 (Small).JPG
    Banff42 (Small).JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Banff43 (Small).JPG
    Banff43 (Small).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Banff44 (Small) (2).JPG
    Banff44 (Small) (2).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Banff46 (Small).JPG
    Banff46 (Small).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 109
Day 6? ? May 29, 2006? Banff and Lake Louise Area

We awoke to sunny skies with puffy clouds so we hustled out quickly to the three? Vermillian Lakes ( Bow Valley?s biggest wetland) just outside Banff.? We spotted an Eagle in a big old dead tree but only the 15.3x magnification lense could take advantage of glimpse of him.? His photo did not make the top 10. We knew the trip to Lake Louise would be a one hour drive and we left at 10 a.m.? We found the Bow Valley Parkway that parallels the freeway and includes many viewpoints with signs telling about the geology and forested areas. Well we stopped about every 100 yards with scenery more beautiful around each turn.? A wow! drive.

We arrived at Chateau Lake Louise well after noon where we dined with a killer view of Lake Louise and the glacier waters. Terry and I recalled the times we had been here before when skiing.? I took advantage of a very nice gift shop and you will notice a new red jacket in my photos as I bought a new jacket made in Canada.? This investment will help to ensure that the temperatures begin to rise.

The drive to Lake Moraine was steep windy and spectacular with rushing waters down streams.? When we arrived back? Banff it began to rain.? When it cleared,? I wanted to tour the Hotel and upon my departure from the RV park I encountered a herd(4) of elk, so I backed the car quietly up the hill to retrieve Terry and the camera. He snapped to his hearts content.? What a thrill.? Then I went off to the Banff Springs Hotel to view their shops. A uniformed man was on the steps playing the bagpipes, seemingly as a welcome to our hotel visit. The artwork done by Canadian artists is impressive but will not fit into my southwest d?cor so I saved thousands of dollars in this shopping event. (tee hee) Home at 8:41 and it?s just beginning to get dark. Long light days seem to give me energy. It?s been a wonderful day.

Statistics:  Rainfall to date 0.61 
Temperature: High= 56  low =38

Attachments

• Lk Louise13 (Small).JPG
    Lk Louise13 (Small).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Lk Louise21 (Small).JPG
    Lk Louise21 (Small).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Lk Louise23 (Small).JPG
    Lk Louise23 (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Lk Louise25 (Small).JPG
    Lk Louise25 (Small).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Lk Louise26 (Small).JPG
    Lk Louise26 (Small).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Lk Louise27 (Small).JPG
    Lk Louise27 (Small).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Lk Moraine04 (Small) (2).JPG
    Lk Moraine04 (Small) (2).JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Lk Moraine05 (Small).JPG
    Lk Moraine05 (Small).JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 115
Jeff Cousins said:
Boy has Betty's travelouge gotton off track.

I cleaned it up a little this morning Jeff. Split off a number of messages into their own subjects and moved them  here and here. Thanks for the nudge.

Day 7? ? ? Last Day in Banff? ?May 30, 2006.

Today we were the most touristy you can be.? We drove to the edge of town to get a picture of the Welcome to Banff sign.? A trip to Radio shack was first shopping venture so Terry could buy headphones to use for his trial of using Skype. (internet phone service)? I purchased a bubble bomb from a Bath shop in town.? This is supposed to make your bath water fizzy and smell like jasmine. Then we trotted off to take the Gondola Ride to the top of Sulphur Mountain. The rides is 8 minutes long, 7486 feet in elevation and it cost us $23.50 each for the ride.? At the summit we were truly on top of the world.? It reminded us of our skiing days only my feet were more comfortable! From the top we could overlook the town of Banff, the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, Bow Falls and Lake Minnewanka.? It was a new perspective to see it all from on top of it.? I wish we had done it earlier in our stay as it would have been a great orientation to the entire area.

Of course we had the pricey lunch on top and viewed the mountain goats that were just outside the restaurant on the steep hillside. We had snow flurries during the meal but it cleared up before we left.? From there we shopped in the gift store.? I bought a ? stone figurine? called an Inuksuk.? It was made by a Canadian artist from pieces of rock formed 600 million years ago. (the brochure told me so)? It is in the image of a man and signifies a welcome to your home.? This is my first trip souvenir and I am still using Winnie?s Christmas money for those of you who know about that.? ($15.00) When exiting the gift shop for the ride down we discovered that some people actually hike all the way down.? Not us!

At the bottom, they show you this very cute picture of the two of us in the gondola and we got nicked for $15.00 for this souvenir. Then we bought a ? pound of amoretto fudge. ($7.50)? Did I not warn you that we were REAL tourists today!

After the gondola ride we drove to Bow Falls to watch the white water rushing down into a big lake and then follow the river meandering through the valley.? The area is called Bow Falls because ancient Indians used to find trees from which they made their bows in this area. I just love the trivia I learn from the displays along the tourist sights. If I had a memory I would be good in a game show quiz.? ? We head to Jasper and Ice fields tomorrow.

Statistics:? Note? I am only going to list the miles driven in the motorhome in my daily miles. So if you see miles driven = 0 it means the motorhome did not move.? We like to find a spot to stay a while and use our car to tour the area.
Miles driven: 0
Temperature: High=59,? ?Low 42
Wildlife sightings:? 5 Mountain Goats, two deer, several ground hogs, pretty birds

Attachments

• Banff51 (Small).JPG
    Banff51 (Small).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Banff54 (Small).JPG
    Banff54 (Small).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 92
  • Banff60 (Small).JPG
    Banff60 (Small).JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Banff63 (Small).JPG
    Banff63 (Small).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 88
  • Banff65 (Small).JPG
    Banff65 (Small).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Banff74 (Small).JPG
    Banff74 (Small).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Banff78 (Small).JPG
    Banff78 (Small).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Banff80 (Small).JPG
    Banff80 (Small).JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 100
Betty Brewer said:
Day 7      Last Day in Banff  May 30, 2006.

Today we were the most touristy you can be.  We drove to the edge of town to get a picture of the Welcome to Banff sign.  A trip to Radio shack was first shopping venture so Terry could buy headphones to use for his trial of using Skype. (internet phone service)  I purchased a bubble bomb from a Bath shop in town.  This is supposed to make your bath water fizzy and smell like jasmine. Then we trotted off to take the Gondola Ride to the top of Sulphur Mountain. The rides is 8 minutes long, 7486 feet in elevation and it cost us $23.50 each for the ride.  At the summit we were truly on top of the world.  It reminded us of our skiing days only my feet were more comfortable! From the top we could overlook the town of Banff, the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, Bow Falls and Lake Minnewanka.  It was a new perspective to see it all from on top of it.  I wish we had done it earlier in our stay as it would have been a great orientation to the entire area.

Betty, great report. But you missed one of the great adventures in Banff, the fabulous golf course out by the old hotel. I noticed you did get a good view in one of your photos of the holes along the river.

Tell Terry to enjoy Skype. We use it to talk to our kids with video cam and its wonderful, thanks to Ron Ruward getting me started. I even talked to Ian down under the other day!

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE MOOSE PODS!

Bob

Thanks for the photos and report.  Sam & I look forward to the next report.

Reguarding Skype we have been using it fo over a year now to talk to friends in Canada.  We use the video Cam feature to see the Grand Daughters in Texas.  Works very well for us.

Thank you so much for the pics and reports. Mike and I are traveling Alaska vicariously with you and Ned and Lorna and Russ, especially since we may never make it to Alaska. I especially loved this 'touristy' day....we love touristy days.

Keep the travologue posting.

Betty:

You did the Copper Canyon Trip and now Sue & I are signed up with Pat & Alice Maitland next February for Mexico. We are also planning to head north to Alaska in June 07 so we just run around in your tracks. ;D

Terry:

Mexico and Alaska in 2007, I gues it's my year to do the planning. ::)

Please keep up the great reports.

To our Alaska tourists in Banff,

If you haven't yet gotten to the big glacier (Columbia Snowfield??) with the Sno Cats that take you out onto the glacier, it's a not-to-be-missed adventure that you'll probably never get a chance to experience again.  ;D  I think it's north of Banff along the Snowfields Parkway.  There's a big visitor center where you buy tickets.  We LOVED it!!

Ardra F

Day 8? ? ?May 31, 2006? ?Jasper, Alberta? ?Canada

Another Day another adventure is a phrase Terry and I use as a departure statement and today certainly lived up to that.? We readied to leave, stowed dish, secured cargo, checked all doors, pulled in slide and started her up?Not.? The big old Magna would turn over but she would not fire.? Terry tried a few things and when they did not work he got very serious and put on his coveralls. For forty- five minutes Terry, tested, came into rig and got more tools, got more gadgets, crawled under the back, tested settings on Russ? coach. We set up 2 way radios so I could turn switch when he told me to do it.? Finally the rig started when I held in the boost button for 4 seconds as he instructed.? Now I think my husband is a genius to get her started but he indicates he did not do anything.? This problem is something we will have to watch.?
As Ron Maribito advised, we were right to pick a beautiful day for this drive.? It was hands down,? ?the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen in my life.? We followed a road from Lake Louise to Jasper called? ?The Ice fields Parkway.?? It is a spectacular 230 KM drive along the backbone of the continent.? It passes through remote and high altitude terrain.? Though there were many pull- outs we chose not to pull off as we will return in the car.? This road needs to be done without speed as there are lots of very steep downgrades and killer views.? Several times during the trip the signs said ?slow for animals? and bingo, there they were. Only one other trip in my life was exciting as today and it was a Kenyan Safari where animals in the wild just appeared.? So it was all day today, which is why we are going back.? At every turn, the surroundings were of high snow capped mountains with either snow or very rocky and craggy from glacial action.? At one point around a curve I just wanted to cry the sights were so magnificent. I don?t usually get this chocked up about scenery but WOW. I know the? trip log title says Alaska but it should say Canada for this part of the trip.? If we never see another sight I am happy with the trip so far.
Terry guided us to Whistler Campground that he had heard many people report successful stays.? If your definition of success includes access to a clear view of the southern sky and internet access, this was not such a camp ground.? We wove our way through the tall trees and into our site with no hope of a signal for TV or internet. Terry hates this place and drove around the entire park looking for a better place but all are in the trees. Terry calls this the hell hole.? I think it is peaceful and we have elk wandering around and my crock-pot is full of chili so I am happy here.

After setting up camp, I went with Russ and Lorna to the Jasper Tramway and toured the top.? It is Canada?s longest and highest aerial tram, which is a 30passenger tram and they have two cars, one up and one down.? ?From the top we could gaze over 6 mountain ranges, glacial-fed lakes and the scenic town of jasper.? I saw Mt. Roson at 12,970 feet. It is 15 degrees cooler at the top as we gained 3243 feet. We toured the town of Jasper and missed the visitor center hours by 20 minutes.? We will leave in the car tomorrow to take a tour of the Ice fields.? ?Won?t send a report tonight as we have no signal.? Too many photos from which to choose!

Statistics:
Miles Driven 182
Fuel:? 53.6 gallons $197 US dollars
Camping cost:? Whistler?s Full Hook ups in trees $66.00 for 2 nights
Temps:? High 66, low 37
Wildlife sightings:? elk, Mountain goats, Lots of Mountain Sheep, 1 missed bear sighting

Attachments

• Icefields Pwky027 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky027 (Small).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Icefields Pwky024 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky024 (Small).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Icefields Pwky029 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky029 (Small).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Icefields Pwky104 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky104 (Small).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC01939 (Small).JPG
    DSC01939 (Small).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 102
Day 9  June 1, 2006  Jasper National Park.  Second Day
Today we loaded up the car with lunch, binoculars, tour maps, guide books, two cameras, rain gear and snow boots.  We are prepared!  Russ and Lorna get an early start and we fuel up in town.  It is cloudy and we are hoping that if we wait until a bit later the sun may peek through.  Today?s route is the reverse of yesterdays and now all of the turnouts are on our side and we are able to hike down to the most beautiful waterfalls.  I wish my pictures and words could include the sound of water pounding over boulders and falling dozens of feet.  Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls were impressive in their heavy flow and the beauty being carved into the canyons they create.  Dozens of tour bus loads of people were also there to enjoy.  Somehow I thought that by visiting this early in the year, we might avoid some of the tourist rush but Jasper National Park is a popular place. 
We met up with Russ and Lorna at The Columbia Icefield Centre and took a tour on a Brewster Ice Explorer to the Athabasca Glacier.  This is the largest accumulation of ice south of the Arctic Circle. This glacier sits between 2 Canadian National Parks and has melt waters that flow into 3 oceans.  High atop one on the mountains is a tri-continental divide.  It is one of only two such places on the planet, the other being in Siberia. Presumably if you poured a pitcher of water on this mountain the water would flow to the Arctic, Atlantic or Pacific Oceans.  We boarded a BIG Ice Explorer with 6 wheels about 5 feet high.  It moves a max of 12 miles an hours and cost $750,000 to build.  But at $33.00 per person and 850,000 visitors per year, they do ok.  We were transported out onto the glacier and given a chance to explore the ice field.  Some filled water bottles with glacial water. I dipped my fingers in the very cold waters running around the area that had been plowed for visitors during the 6 months of open season.  If you have never explored a glacier this is another MUST DO in my opinion. With breath taking views of the mountains and skies, it was hard to board the BUS to return. 
The drive in reverse of yesterday was even more spectacular because we saw more animals up close and personal today. We spotted mountain sheep, mountain goats, a family of Canadian geese walking down the side of the highway and our first black bear eating dandelions along the road.  Talk about excited!  Tomorrow we head toward Dawson Creek.

Statistics:
Motorhome miles driven 0
Car miles driven  250 whew!
Temperature  Hi 75      Low 42
Wildlife sightings:  Elk, chipmunks, mountain goats, mountain sheep, geese, a big black bear

Attachments

• DSC01977 (Small).JPG
    DSC01977 (Small).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC01980 (Small).JPG
    DSC01980 (Small).JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01987 (Small).JPG
    DSC01987 (Small).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01991 (Small).JPG
    DSC01991 (Small).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC02006 (Small).JPG
    DSC02006 (Small).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC01970 (Small).JPG
    DSC01970 (Small).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Icefields Pwky108 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky108 (Small).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Icefields Pwky115 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky115 (Small).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Icefields Pwky118 (Small).JPG
    Icefields Pwky118 (Small).JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 104
ArdraF said:
To our Alaska tourists in Banff,If you haven't yet gotten to the big glacier (Columbia Snowfield??) with the Sno Cats that take you out onto the glacier, it's a not-to-be-missed adventure that you'll probably never get a chance to experience again.? ;D? I think it's north of Banff along the Snowfields Parkway.? There's a big visitor center where you buy tickets.? We LOVED it!!Ardra F

We loved it too!

Betty

I love this thread!  I look forward to reading it every day.  I am stuck here at work on call 16 nights a month and really wishing I was free to travel about the country and farther!  Please keep those great, no, FANTASTIC pictures comming.

Jeff

Looks as tho Terry may have found a new toy  They even got most of the name spelled right on the sid of it.    That would look good behind the Coach and also sitting in front of the house in Yuma.  But you might have to add another garage  Great Pics.

Back
Top Bottom