Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Setting sights on an Alaskan trip in 2019.  Would like to stay up there for 3 months.  Main interest is scenery and wildlife.  What 3 months would be the best.  Was thinking about June, July and August.  All suggestions appreciated.

I have been to Alaska three times, but only for a total of 5 weeks.  Spent time in Anchorage, north of Anchorage towards Talkeetna, but most of the time on the Kenai Peninsula.  I can tell you a lot about the Peninsula.  June will be great, July will be super busy, August will be great and have seen September, great as well......Once we go full time I will spend my second summer in Alaska.

Sorry Clock, the last time I was on the road to Alaska, I was about 4 and the Alaskan Canadian Hwy was still gravel for over 700 miles.....have always flown as an adult.  Will be driving there in the next year or two.

Rented a motorhome twice while there, but as I said, my experience is limited to the Peninsulas and north towards Talkeetna.

June, July, and August are about your only choices.  Weather gets iffy and many RV-related facilities aren't open in the other months. Some fuel and restaurant places along the highways close as well, the ones that cater primarily to visitors.

I'm not up to date, though. We spent a little over 3 months back in 2002, but did not get north of the lower panhandle (Hyder) until July 5th (we celebrated a combined Canada Day & 4th of July in the sister towns of Hyder AK & Stuart, BC. What a treat!  We left Alaska proper around 9/4 but spent another several days in the panhandle and BC, and then on to Alberta (jasper/Banff, also spectacular). Back in the Lower 48 around 9/21, as I recall.

We chose to cross lower BC and go up the Casiar Hwy, joining the Alcan just west of Watson Lake.  We chose that route (on the advice of friends) so we could visit beautiful BC plus stop in Hyder, AK for bear viewing and salmon fishing.  Others choose the Alcan all the way from Mile One.  It's hard to make a wrong choice for scenery and wildlife, though.

There are trip logs in the RVForum Library that describe the Alaska trips of some of the membershere (mine included). Suggest you look them over.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/21-trip-reports

Agree with Gary. I made a trip log in 2012 when we went to Alaska that deals  mostly with trip details and facts like campgrounds, fees, and where to fill up. 

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,54670.0.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom