Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryl

We are looking to take the trip to Alaska this coming summer and thought we would ask what suggestions others might have for someone going for the first time.  We are currently in Alamo, TX for the winter.  Any suggestions, thoughts would be appreciated.  Anyone planning a trip this summer? 
Thanks Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Some members are planning a trip to Alaska this year. Not sure just when they are going but I'm sure they'll give you lots of help. Be sure to look at our library by clicking on the library button near the top of the page. There are at least three travelogues on Alaska from members.

Cheryl, as Jim said;? read the travel logs in the library section then get on the web and search on anything and everything that comes to mind concerning Alaska, the Alaskan Highway and travel through Canada and Alaska.? Take to heart all tips and suggestions on safety and preparation you find here.? If you don't see it, ask.? ?

I am planning the same trip, for June through August of this year, from North Carolina.? There are a whole lot of firsts for me too as I didn't even own a motorhome until last May.? I must admit though, I have been planning (dreaming really) this trip in my mind for many many years.

Have fun with the planning and have a safe and enjoyable trip.?

lou

Cheryl,

I just remembered something else. There is a book called the Milepost that comes out each year. I understand it is the definitive writing on Alaska. I'm sure someone will tell you when and where to obtain it.

Cheryl

I have a log from our Alaska trip in 2001. Take a look it may give you some ideas.
Alaska 2001

The Milepost is VERY important. Wait until March 1st to order the 2006 edition. You can order it online.

Milepost

I made plans for our next trip it is in PDF you can look at it here.

Alaska Next Trip

All of us should make this trip at least once. Alaska is truly the last frontier.

Have a wonderful trip.

Les

Lee,
This is very helpful information.  I saved it for future reference.
Thanks,
Jake

Thanks Les

Printed and saved information you sent.  Sound like this is going to be a grand trip.  We are looking forward  ::) to going.

Cheryl

Thanks for all the information on the subject thus far it has been very helpful.
Do have another question concerning time frame.
We will be hitting BC in Washington and wondered what is the best time to head that way to Alaska.
We plan to spend a couple of weeks in Skagway.
Thanks for your help.
Cheryl

cheryl said:
We plan to spend a couple of weeks in Skagway.

Cheryl

What could you possibly do for a couple of weeks in Skagway ???  We were ready to leave after 1 day.

I suspect a couple of DAYS is all you will want to spend in Skagway, even if you want to spend a day on the Whitehorse & Yukon train ride.  Skagway is mostly a cruise ship stop, with wall-to-wall souvenir shops.  You might load the RV on the ferry and travel over to Haines from Skagway and spend a couple days there too. Then drive back up to the Alcan (Haines Junction) from there. That way you don't have to backtrack on the same highway.  Haines is a picturesque town and much more authentic Alaska than Skagway.

The Milepost is definitely a very good book.  Don't leave home without it.  I had forgotten completely about it.  We used it when we drove down from Alaska way back in '87.  Indispensible.

Back
Top Bottom