Albuquerque, NM to Flordia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's exactly the type of stuff I wish to do in Florida.

-Don- ABQ, NM
There are also swamp buggies that you can ride around in the dryer parts of the swamp. They are really cool, but bring DET. Notice that almost everyone gives five stars to either the swamp buggy or the air boats.

And don't forget to tour Gatorland. They have mainly Florida species there. And they have hundreds of gators you can get very close to.

There are also swamp buggies that you can ride around in the dryer parts of the swamp. They are really cool, but bring DET. Notice that almost everyone gives five stars to either the swamp buggy or the air boats.
Yep, I will like to do that too. Very much so. I assume you mean DEET to repeal the mosquitoes. I will add that to my shopping list for Wally*Mart tomorrow.

-Don- ABQ, NM

If I were going to do the drive I would take I-40 to Amarillo, then US 287 to Wichita Falls, 82 across to Texarkana, I-49 down to Shreveport, LA, I-20 to Jackson, MS, and US-49 down to I-10 near Biloxi. All good roads except for maybe 15-20 miles of I-20 east of Shreveport, or at least were the last time I drove them.
Any recommendations for places to stop for the night? I am not picky, RV parks, rest areas, anything where I should stop for each night on the way.

-Don- ABQ, NM

Texas allows overnight RV parking in rest areas, or at least they did as of last year, there is a big safety rest areas on US287 between Amarillo and Wichita Falls (I have stopped to rest at them, eat lunch, etc. but never spent the night). They are not as big as some of the giant ones Texas has built on the remote parts of I-10 the last couple of years, but still have parking for at least 40-50 18 wheelers at both the east and west bound rest areas. The city of Wichita Falls also operates an RV campground by the expressway going through town, $17 per night water and electric, self pay drop box.

Several towns the region have free or low cost RV sites, though I don't know of any on this route, we stayed at one a bit off your route in Andrews, Texas in Sept, up to 2 or 3 nights free water and electric site (6 sites plus dump station) located behind the chamber of commerce building.

Once you get into east Texas, most of the public options step up to the $20-$25 per night range, at which point you might be better off at a Passport America participating park assuming you have a passport america membership.

p.s. I have also stayed at Bonham State park, just south of Hwy 82 between Sherman and Texarkana, quiet small state park with a small lake and about half a dozen RV sites, though again at about $20 per night, you might find cheaper commercial options.

Any recommendations for places to stop for the night? I am not picky, RV parks, rest areas, anything where I should stop for each night on the way.

-Don- ABQ, NM
37 miles northeast of Amarillo on Hwy 136 is Lake Meridith. It's a free state park I believe. My wife and I have stayed there several times on our way between Arkansas and Cali/Ariz.

Once you get into east Texas, most of the public options step up to the $20-$25 per night range, at which point you might be better off at a Passport America participating park assuming you have a passport america membership.
Thanks, I just now joined Passport America in case I need it.

"Thank you for your online order for a Passport America Membership. This email includes temporary proof of membership that is good for 30 days from today. Your online order should be approved by the next business morning."

-Don- ABQ, NM

If you want to see "the real Florida" take a trip on an air boat into the swamps.
I just now got back from one. Good thing I went there on a motorcycle and still had my waterproof clothes on. When that guy made his sharp fun turns and fast figure 8's, we all got wet. Was a fun $32.00 ride:

airboat.JPGgator.JPG

-Don- Everglades Nat'l Park, FL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom