Alcohol at Canadian Border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleandKarla

My wife and I will be heading into Canada this week in our class A to visit my family for several weeks. It occurs to us that we have basically a full bar on board. I believe there are rules about how much alcohol you can take over the border. I'm sort of assuming I'll need to donate most of my alcohol to my friends in the US before e hit the border. Am I right about that? Somewhat related question, it also occurs to me that I have been driving with open containers. Is there some sort of exception on the open container rules for a class A RV? Or should I be putting my open alcohol containers in the basement when we are going down the road?
Thank you so much!
Dale and Karla

Sprucegum

If you have more than the allotted amounts they may ask you to pay duty on it. Best to have receipts or they will base the duty on an expensive brand.
if you don’t declare it and they find it they will confiscate all of it.

TonyL

It's not just duty, due to the price difference, you'll have to pay a percentage of that as well. Remember, the limits are spirits, wine or beer, not an allowance for each. Unless you want to be stopped everytime you cross, declare what you have.

Aaron5er

I crossed the border at Roosville Montana May 31st and was asked about alcohol by the agent.
I told him I had a few bottles of sipping liquor and he asked "how many?" I said 3-4 and that was no problem. A couple of them were in the fridge previously opened.
They didn't enter or inspect inside the 5th wheel.

IBTripping

When I was a whole lot younger and living in Montana, I and some friends used to drive up to Canada for Canadian beer. It tasted so much better than the stale goat urine that America brewers sold. LOL

Ray-IN

If you have more than the allotted amounts they may ask you to pay duty on it. Best to have receipts or they will base the duty on an expensive brand.
if you don’t declare it and they find it they will confiscate all of it.
And if someone gets testy about confiscating their liquor, CBC can confiscate the vehicle too.

Jim18655

I worked with several members of the same family that would take fishing trips to Canada. There were usually at least 6 of them in three trucks. One year they packed two trucks with gear and left the third to carry the beer that they bought on the way. They got separated at the border without cell phone coverage and the truck had too much beer for the two people in the truck. The other two trucks eventually noticed they were missing and returned and split the beer between the trucks.

silversport

Our experience that our "bar" that are mostly open partials, they didn't give them a second look. Now saying that it is up to who is conducting the "search" and what they think is important to look for.

Top Bottom