Almost new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artistrver

Hello everyone!  Are there any other artists RVing out there?  We took our very first RV trip from ME to AZ last year in a very well kept used 1987 Shasta.  Our travel blog is here: www.aztrip2005.homestead.com

The radio didn't work, the fuel gage didn't work (we carefully kept note of our mileage) and the behemoth shook and rattled along even though we tried to muffle the noises.  We did have a great time though. Luckily, we sold it and just bought an almost new 1999 Rialta with only 26,000 on her.  She's very quiet, compact and sleek and the gas mileage (we only got about 6! with the Shasta) will be much improved at 18-22.

We are planning another trip out west in Nov.  We're stopping in NC (for a reunion), AR, CO, UT, CA and finally AZ, probably with some stops in between.  Any campground info - good or bad - would be appreciated or any sights we shouldn't miss along the way.

Thanx!  Gail

Hi and welcome! It will be interesting to read your blog.

I'm a photographer ("reformed" during the last few years from being a left-brain "chairborne" person for decades at work). We're anxious to get started. Going to New Mexico for the weekend (from Tucson) and will stop at a couple of parks to browse -- don't have the RV yet, and couldn't rent for this particular trip. I just picked up the AAA Campground book, which looks like it might be helpful. I think there are several RVing directories, such as Woodalls, for sale and in libraries, etc.

Pierat, Thanx for the welcome.  I have sent for some of the books. During our trip last year, some of them sounded much better in print than they actually were.

I photograph too but to use for reference for my paintings.  Digital... instant gratification!

We went thru Tuscon last year on our way to Tubac to stay with friends.  Much different scenery and colors than Maine!

Hi Gail,

Welcome to the RV Forum and congratulations on the Rialta.  Please ask any questions you have, join in on any of the ongoing discussions, or start new discussions.  Thanks for joining us.

Hi Gail and welcome from an ex-Mainer.  Lived in the Sebago Lakes Region almost 30 years.  Found the RV life-style, then found AZ and went back and sold everything we had there and hit the road.  Even left the kids to fend for themselves.  Somethings just have to be done for the love of adventures...  Loved living on the road for more than 10 years, but now health issues have curtailed travel a bit.  Just wanted to welcome you.  We're now in a house in Sierra Vista, just over the Patagonia Mts. from Tubac, but we are anxious to hit the road again soon.  You will love the area.  So much to see and do.  We even have canyons here that traveling into them reminds us so much of some of the back country roads in Maine that when we "think" we need a fix, we just take a ride....  Enjoy  Daisy

Hi Gail: We are fulltimers and I do oil painting, photography, and wood art. Guess the more artistic stuff is the oil painting...and yes I also use the photos as templates for the paintings....

Thanx for all the warm welcomes!

RVRoamer, As far as "a step up"... it's like going from the Beverly Hillbillies rig to a Mercedes!

Woodartist... ever tried Plein air painting?  it's a fancy french term for paining outdoors...

Daisy, We'll be in Tubac!  My friend lives there.  This time we'll get to see some of the things we couldn't last year.  Suggestions?

Ron,  I've got some questions which I'll post in the appropriate section... thanx!

We're busy preparing for a dry camping run in Sept.  Kind of a "shake down cruise"...  going to Lily Bay up in Moosehead with another couple who have a rig and are very experienced.  They went to Alaska lat year.  She's a friend and a watercolor student of mine and we're bringing our painting gear along.  The guys will probably fish and get to know each other better.

Hubby is fixing all the things that need fixin and I'm searching and shopping for the things we'll need to keep us happy.  I've read that the Rialta bedding isn't too comfy and we'll be using sleeping bags.  Will those shearling type covers do the job?  Any suggestions?  Gail

Gail:

You'll be able to see everything in Tubac in a day, but the events change there frequently during tourist season.  Tucson has a lot going for it and an easy drive from Tubac.  Desert Museum on Kinney Road west of the city, Art Museum in downtown, I think it's on the ASU campus, haven't been there, but hear it is fabulous; superb air museum, you can walk into an obsolete missile silo; good shopping; they have both a Sam's Club and Costco, as well as the more elegant stores.  Lots more stuff to do there.  Pick up brochures at any RV park or welcome center.  I'm pretty sure Tubac has one of those.  Stay away from Old Tucson, as it's a tourist rip-off.  You pay for the privilege of going into shops to buy more stuff. 

Nogalas, AZ/MEx is a short drive from there.  We haven't been over there for years, as they are typical border towns. 

Cochise County, where we are, has a rich Indian/Cowboy history.  The explorer Coronado traveled up this valley in search of his seven cities of gold.  It is also the home of Tombstone, the town too tough to die and Wyatt Earp legends; Bisbee, an old copper mining town, and now an artist colony, Sierra Vista with the Huachuca Mountains, and Ft. Huachuca original home of the Buffalo Soldiers and now a prominent Army Intelligence Center.  The prettiest base setting we've ever seen; Wilcox is still a cowboy town, but slowly turning into a Huge agricultural center and is closer to the area where the Indian Cochise lived and defended his tribe until the Army starved them out.  His mountain stronghold is a geological wonder.  Winery just starting up there and fruit orchards already established.

So much to do and see we haven't even begun to scratch the surface.  Weather about perfect, since we up almost 5,000 feet,  Summers quite enjoyable and winters are shirt-sleeved.  Nothing like Maine when you have to start bundling up in September.

Give us an personal e-mail when you get to Tubac and we'll get together for lunch or a cup of something.    Daisy

Daisy,  I'll be sure to email you and let you know our ETA.  As a child I remember vacationing at Davy's Camp which I believe was somewhere in the Sebago Lakes region.  Richard and I moved to Mount Desert Island from the NYC area almost 8 years ago but I've been coming here on vacations for almost 30 years.  I'm really an "island girl"... from Manhattan to MDI! LOL!

We did get to see some of the things you mentioned and are looking forward to seeing much more.  My friend Kathy Reyes runs Los Reyes Gallery in Tubac, across from the mexican pottery place in the old section.  Stop and say hi if you're in the area.

Thanx for all the suggestions and we look forward to meeting you.  Gail 

Back
Top Bottom