Al's new toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Al won't tow anything less than a Hummer behind his new coach.

A real Hummer I would hope and not that piece of cr** junk make believe Hummer 2 or 3 that can't even go up a wash without being pulled. ;D

Anything less than a full Hummer will look like a toy behind Al's new 44' Monaco Signature.

Hey!

From what I read, an H3 will do just fine against a Jeep in a wash; it's the highway it has trouble with!  :)

Seriously, it's down to either a Grand Cherokee or the H3 with the H3 currently leading.  It's something I wouldn't feel too upset putting scratches on. (and it's cheaper than the Jeep.)

Al

That H3 or the H2 are both a very poor excuse of a 4WD and from what I understad can be kinda interesting driving on paved roads at highway speeds.  Why a skilled offroad driver couldn't even follow Sam in the Grand Cherokee on some of the off road trails we have been on. ;D ;D ;D  Just my opinion but from what I have seen both the H2 and H3 show with no real capabilities.

Ron said:
That H3 or the H2 are both a very poor excuse of a 4WD and from what I understad can be kinda interesting driving on paved roads at highway speeds.? Why a skilled offroad driver couldn't even follow Sam in the Grand Cherokee on some of the off road trails we have been on. ;D ;D ;D? Just my opinion but from what I have seen both the H2 and H3 show with no real capabilities.

Hey, Ron, don't hold back; what do you really think?? ;D

As I said, I'm still thinking about it, but I was happy with a test drive of the H3 for my normal sort of driving.? As to the off road capabilities, I've talked to a number of folks here who have H3s and have had no trouble; at least anywhere I'd be likely to go!

In researching the issue, I found this interesting comparison: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...terra-off-road-4wd-toyota-fj-cruiser-4wd.html

Does anyone out there like Hummers? ???

Al

AlGriefer said:
Hey, Ron, don't hold back; what do you really think?? ;D [/qoute]

As I said, I'm still thinking about it, but I was happy with a test drive of the H3 for my normal sort of driving.? As to the off road capabilities, I've talked to a number of folks here who have H3s and have had no trouble; at least anywhere I'd be likely to go!

In researching the issue, I found this interesting comparison: http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...terra-off-road-4wd-toyota-fj-cruiser-4wd.html

Does anyone out there like Hummers? ???

Al

OK, Any one of the vehicles mentioned in that article would be better then the H3 or H2.

Did I mention I have no use for a Hummer 2 or 3 ;D IMHO Their ugly, they don't have much real off road capability and they are well I won't go any further.? ?I did have one guy say he could go anywhere in his Hummer 2 that I could in the Grand Cherokee to which I responded that he couldn't even begin to follow the Grand Cherokee with my wife driving.? (kinda set up wasn't it)? He was suppose to get together with us for the test but somehow recognized the error of his way and never did show up.? Guess he knew he didn't want to loose. ;D

caltex said:
Al, correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't a Hummer H-3 just a Tahoe with a different body?

Nah, the H2 is.? The H3 has the same frame as the Chevy Colorado pickup, but everything else is different.

I was looking at the Grand Cherokee again (Ron made me think about it again) and, any way you look at it, the Grand Cherokee costs about 50% more than the H3.? I'll just have to decide whether the H3 has enough around town, highway, and off road capability for us.? I don't need a 'vette for the highway, a minivan for around town, or a Hummer H1 for off-road; I just need something very moderate.

Al

I've never understood why the Jeep line is so expensive. There's no doubt that they're nice SUVs, buit IMO they're overpriced. A number of forum members have lower priced alternatives that I've been pleasantly surprised with. Maybe some folks will jump into the discussion.

Re: 2002 Acura MDX Toad
? Reply #1 on: Today at 12:10:08 PM ?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: AlGriefer on Today at 11:20:55 AM

"Does anyone out there like Hummers?" 

I had a NEW 2002 H1, and would  NOT recommend it to anyone  Nothing but trouble and very poor service considering the cost ! Seems like every other month it was back in the shop getting the wheel seals repaired and or replaced. Rep told me the vehicle was NOT designed for highway use at all. Besides the fact, it had absolutely NO room inside.

Kenneth said:
?...

I had a NEW 2002 H1, and would? NOT recommend it to anyone? ?Nothing but trouble and very poor service considering the cost ! Seems like every other month it was back in the shop getting the wheel seals repaired and or replaced. Rep told me the vehicle was NOT designed for highway use at all. Besides the fact, it had absolutely NO room inside.

I can certainly understand that.? The H1 is basically a military vehicle that was made barely street legal.? Unless you need to mount TOW missiles or machine guns, it's probably a bit much. (Though I have to admit being able to find a use for those occasionally!? ;D ;D ;D? The H1 is an entirely different beast than the H2 or 3 which are SUVs designed to look a bit like the H1.

Al

AlGriefer said:
From what I read, an H3 will do just fine against a Jeep in a wash; it's the highway it has trouble with!  :)

Seriously, it's down to either a Grand Cherokee or the H3 with the H3 currently leading.  It's something I wouldn't feel too upset putting scratches on. (and it's cheaper than the Jeep.)

Al

When Motor Trend compared the top dozen new SUVs, the H3 had a much better off road rating than the GC. Of course, the Nissan XTerra had the top rating but is only towable in the 4x4 manual transmission for 2006.

Bernie The H3 is actually like a fish out of water when off road.  Like I said any of the vehicles mentioned in the article will go where the H3 would never make it.  Basically on the H3 one wheel looses traction it is done.  Even the MDX will do better off road.

Ron said:
Bernie The H3 is actually like a fish out of water when off road.? Like I said any of the vehicles mentioned in the article will go where the H3 would never make it.? Basically on the H3 one wheel looses traction it is done.? Even the MDX will do better off road.

Ron,

I think you might be talking about the H3 without the off-road package.? with that package you get an electronic fully-locking rear differential and a 4.03:1 2-speed transfer case.? A quote from the Car and Driver review:

"Although the H3 was the heaviest in this quartet, with the least horsepower and torque, it was nonetheless a slippery slinky over hill and dale. Much of the credit goes to the H3?s 4.0:1 low-range granny gear that, in tandem with the locking rear diff, enabled us to inch over 16-inch steps and creep up 60-percent grades. Then it supplied diesel-like engine braking on the descents, reducing the fear factor by half. Sure-footed? The H3 was like the wild burros that roam Mengel Pass."

I really appreciate your comments and those of Bernie and others because it helps me review the data and eventually make my decision.

Al

I guess if you get one well could see if you can follow Sam drivng the GC on a off road trip.  I have not heard any favorable reports of offroading with either Hummer 2 or 3.

Ron said:
I guess if you get one well could see if you can follow Sam drivng the GC on a off road trip.? I have not heard any favorable reports of offroading with either Hummer 2 or 3.

If I do get it, someone will need to give me some lessons!  I've only offroaded on easy trails!

Al

Tom said:
I've never understood why the Jeep line is so expensive. There's no doubt that they're nice SUVs, buit IMO they're overpriced. A number of forum members have lower priced alternatives that I've been pleasantly surprised with. Maybe some folks will jump into the discussion.

Tom,

Not to stir things up but our Grand Vitara is one of Suzuki's best kept secrets. It's not a luxury sedan but does quite well on the highway. Cruise is fine on flats but gets a little erratic on grades. The only problem I've found with it. As far as I'm concerned the back seat is MUCH more comfortable than the Grand Cherokee and it can climb a lot of rocks as we've proven in AZ and UT. Naturally it doesn't have the ground clearance for big stuff but CalMini makes a 2 1/2" lift kit for it. With that and taller tires one can do much more off roading!

There's an amazing amount of room in the vehicle for stuff. One can always get the XL7 with the longer wheel base but that will make it more difficult on our trails in the mountains. :)

The new GV is now being advertised as an off road vehicle. It has a more modern exterior and looks quite capable. I would love to test drive one. ;D

Back
Top Bottom