Aluminum Ball Mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlmgcamp

Recently bought Class III aluminum ball mount.  When I attached the ball, I noted that the split lock washer was scratching the aluminum as I cranked down on it.  Is there an issue with the relative hardness of the aluminum?  Will the forces eventually cause the split washer to indent into the aluminum to loosen things?  Thinking about a flat washer between the lock washer and the ball mount.  Any thoughts out there?

I always put a stainless steel flat washer between aluminum and lock washer/nut. Never used a aluminum ball mount, but have made hundreds of connections on aluminum semi trailers. If you gouge the aluminum, it?s a good place for a crack to start and the stainless steel offers some galvanic protection.

IMHO, If you put a flat washer under a lock washer, there's no need for that lock washer. It is intended to dig into the material and the nut so the nut will not loosen up.  By using a flat washer, you're turning the lock washer into a compression washer which is useless in this type of application.

Rene T said:
IMHO, If you put a flat washer under a lock washer, there's no need for that lock washer. It is intended to dig into the material and the nut so the nut will not loosen up.  By using a flat washer, you're turning the lock washer into a compression washer which is useless in this type of application.

IMO split lock washers are useless in metal applications,but I didn?t want to open that can of worms. 

jubileee said:
IMO split lock washers are useless in metal applications,but I didn?t want to open that can of worms.

Can you elaborate a little because that's what lock washers are designed to do. This is the definition:

Different lock washers perform this function in slightly different ways, but the basic concept is to hold the nut and bolt in place. Some lock washers achieve this function by biting into the base material (bolt) and the nut with their ends.

I could well be in error, but I thought the split washer was to be tightened to near flat.  The force applied to the bolt and base make it harder to turn, "locking" it in place.

grashley said:
I could well be in error, but I thought the split washer was to be tightened to near flat.  The force applied to the bolt and base make it harder to turn, "locking" it in place.

You are right Gordon. The ends of the lockwasher was suppose to dig into both pieces preventing them from backing off.

A "star" washer basically does the same,, by digging into the two apposing surfaces it locks the one that's turning.>>>Dan
( Also every "ball" I've purchased has had a spiral lock washer supplied)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom