Always Always Always Check Your Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I diligently checked my batterys all the time last year.  Never ever needed a drop.  This year i slacked off and did not check them.  I just checked them (first time since jan 2020) and one battery took a full bottle of water and the other battery took 2 bottles of water to fill up.  Just so lazy, stupid and irresponsible of me, especially since these things are so expensive. 

They still show charged, and im not sure if they are ruined or not, or if they will even continue to charge or not.

One cell i heard a little sizzle as i added water. Stupid stupid stupid...  :(

Always check your batteries, at the very worst every other month.  Take the time, it only takes a few min so check them on schedule every time.

Burning through a bunch of water like that kind of implies there's something up with the charger.  It takes a prolonged or frequent overcharge to dissolve water, so I'd be looking at the charge profile and make sure it's OK.

Having a cell dry out can really impact performance.  If you want, a capacity test will reveal what if any issues it may have caused, or if you dodged a bullet.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If the top of the plates aren't dry you should be okay but they don't last forever. 5 to 8 years is about all I get.

We bought a watering setup last year at Quartzsite. It has made battery maintenance so much easier! We have 6 batteries in a spot originally designed for 4, and it was a bear getting to them all. Now Kevin can check the water easily and fill all as needed with a single squirt or two. Well worth it for us. We just hadn?t been watching them close enough before because it was such a pain.

Burning through a bunch of water like that kind of implies there's something up with the charger.  It takes a prolonged or frequent overcharge to dissolve water,
Agree, but the charge profile didn't change overnight unless he modified it. The more likley cause is the batteries themselves.  One weak cell in a battery bank can lower the voltage enough to fool the charger into excessive charge rate, which will then cause some battery "boil" and further exacerbate the problem.
If those are flooded cell batteries, a specific gravity test of each cell would find any weak ones.  If a sealed battery, a load test might find the battery that is weaker than the others, but it's a bit of guesswork (a judgement call).

The hot weather has taken it's toll on a lot of things.  Even my batteries.  Last time I checked, the water in one cell of my 6V Interstates didn't cover the plates.  Checked with a hydrometer and it had about the lowest reading possible.  Thought it was toast but just in case, added water and checked the next day.  Interestingly the reading was in the green area again so I'm hoping there's some life left. 

UTTransplant said:
We bought a watering setup last year at Quartzsite. It has made battery maintenance so much easier! We have 6 batteries in a spot originally designed for 4, and it was a bear getting to them all. Now Kevin can check the water easily and fill all as needed with a single squirt or two. Well worth it for us. We just hadn?t been watching them close enough before because it was such a pain.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but can you tell me a little more about this?  It sounds kinda funny  when you say a "watering setiup" for batteries, but it is probably appropriate.  I am interested to know more though.

It's a kit that replaces the original battery caps with ones that have automatic shutoff floats.  Tubing connects them all together and comes out to a single fill point.  You use a squeeze bulb to pump water in, if a cell is low the cap lets water flow into the cell until it gets to the proper level, then shuts off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqCgz_Vbnag

Amazon has several to choose from.

I have one of those, too -- it sure simplifies keeping the batteries well watered. I spend around 10 minutes, or so, for the 8 6V batteries in my coach, and that includes getting the (distilled) water and squeeze "pump" out, connecting it to the fill ports*, filling the batteries, and putting things away. It's wonderful.

* Each "set" does four batteries, so with my 8 I have two of them.

I check and fill our single coach battery every spring and clean the terminals if they look dirty. I would like to know why people need so much power. We normally hang out by the fire or are glued to our tablets, phones and Surface Pro... LOL

We are normally plugged in but just running the generator or primary motor for 15 minutes tops it off. We do run the generater when boondocking for the AC, coffee maker, microwave, electric skillet, etc.

I would like to know why people need so much power.
My coach is an all electric (no propane) DP with a residential refrigerator. Heat is the Oasis hydronic system (like Aqua Hot). The batteries are 6V, so a pair is needed to get 12V, thus four pairs. When we boondock (Quartzsite in January, for example), the fridge, the furnace fans and other residual operations (radio, night light, CPAP and more) running from about 10 PM to about 7 AM chew a full battery set down to just under 12 V (11.8 or 11.9). We then run the genny to get the batteries back up (and fix breakfast) and normal daytime use runs 'till early evening, when the genny runs to get batteries back up and to fix supper.  We are NOT glued to our electronics, though we'll often watch TV for a couple of hours in the evening.

So, a different coach, a different lifestyle, different needs. Also, I check my batteries (and add water) every month or so, not once a year, and it can be hard to get at the rearmost batteries with a battery filler.

Tom55555 said:
I would like to know why people need so much power.

For me and I suspect for many who are honest, it's the must have vs nice to have issue.  Personally I could live on two 6V GC2 batteries.

I just purchased 2 lithium batteries.  They cost $1500 and for the past month have been sitting in my home in the package they came in.  I didn't know when I bought them that they were not drop in replacements.  Bottom line for me is a new converter with a lithium profile and a dc - dc charger.  And that's just to make sure they receive a full charge and don't damage my alternator.  So it's another $600+ on top of the $1500 I've already paid.  Can I afford it, yes.  In fact I'm already thinking that maybe another two lithium with an inverter charger and 400 watts of solar would be great.  I can also easily afford that.  What's getting in the way for me is my penny pincher mentality.  No matter how I slice it, I can't justify it financially.  Not based on our current RV lifestyle.  But has that changed my mind.  Not in the least.  I can afford it which is the only reason I continue to think about and research the install.  I could also have it done for me at considerably more cost.  But again, that would be going against the grain.  My stubborn persistent penny pincher mentality. 

Careful of your choice of words, Gary. You're implying dishonesty here where it's not warranted.

For me and I suspect for many who are honest, it's the must have vs nice to have issue.

That might be true IF you say that about the choice of coach or other RV. But if you want to run overnight on your batteries, some coaches, such as mine, Wouldn't get far on one or two batteries. The 8 batteries that I have are original equipment on this coach, which I bought new, and are a MUST have for even mild boondocking, unless you run the generator almost constantly -- it's needed morning and evening anyway.

Those of you with an RV that doesn't use much electric can get by without a lot of batteries, but not all coaches can do that unless they're always hooked to shore power.

I get a chuckle out of these discussions. Our first RV was a little Apache tent trailer. A tent on a box with wheels. It had no electric anything except for the trailer taillights.  We kept our food cold in an ice chest, cooked on a coleman gasoline stove, and light was provided two coleman laterns. We also carried a drop light for use if we had access to electricity.  We routinely stayed out for two weeks, and once for a month long trip to grand canyon. We used Ivory bath soap because it would float. Baths were often in a lake shared with us by alligators.
Fast forward to today. We've got a castle on wheels with nearly every amenity known to man.

Larry N. said:
Careful of your choice of words, Gary. You're implying dishonesty here where it's not warranted.

Not in the least.  If you like, I can substitute the phrase "if truth be told" but I'm pretty sure most people will understand the context of my use of the word honest. 

garyb1st said:
For me and I suspect for many who are honest, it's the must have vs nice to have issue.  Personally I could live on two 6V GC2 batteries.

I just purchased 2 lithium batteries.  They cost $1500 and for the past month have been sitting in my home in the package they came in.  I didn't know when I bought them that they were not drop in replacements.  Bottom line for me is a new converter with a lithium profile and a dc - dc charger.  And that's just to make sure they receive a full charge and don't damage my alternator.  So it's another $600+ on top of the $1500 I've already paid.  Can I afford it, yes.  In fact I'm already thinking that maybe another two lithium with an inverter charger and 400 watts of solar would be great.  I can also easily afford that.  What's getting in the way for me is my penny pincher mentality.  No matter how I slice it, I can't justify it financially.  Not based on our current RV lifestyle.  But has that changed my mind.  Not in the least.  I can afford it which is the only reason I continue to think about and research the install.  I could also have it done for me at considerably more cost.  But again, that would be going against the grain.  My stubborn persistent penny pincher mentality.

Gary, just go ahead and use your lithium batteries.  I also have two of the Lion Safari batteries and they are indeed drop in replacements.

Yes, they'll operate better if you get a lithium profile converter/charger.  But your existing converter will still fill the batteries 80% - 90% full.  Even at this lower charge level you're still getting 40-50% more usable storage than equivalent lead acid batteries.

As far as needing a DC-DC converter, that's optional.  My two batteries draw about 25 amps per battery, or 50 amps from the alternator.  While this is the upper limit for the alternator it should be OK.  For more than two lithium batteries, a way of limiting the alternator charging current is a must.  But not so much for only one or two batteries.

Thanks Lou.  That makes a lot of sense for now.  But be warned, if it causes my alternator to go south, I will find you and I will make you help with the replacement.  ;)

garyb1st said:
For me and I suspect for many who are honest, it's the must have vs nice to have issue.  My stubborn persistent penny pincher mentality.

Hi Gary and Maria

I know you didn't ask for any input, but here goes anyway.  I can relate to your conundrum - no clear and present "need" to let go of those dollars, and yet, the continuing thoughts that you maybe should or would like to spend them.  I have often been there.  I guess I've learned that if I go THAT long with a purchase on my mind, then I should go for it and get it over with.  The second part, is that once spent, I don't miss those dollars and I can't just now remember a time I beat myself up for a particular large purchase.  And, you do recognize the tendency to be rather a penny pincher stickler, which may not always serve you well in the long run for every decision.  The key for me has always been how long a decision "eats" at me.  I characterize this as "just eat the bullet" -- rather dramatic phrase, but you get the point.

I think you should go for the new charger/converter so that you can take full advantage of the lithiums (assumes you are going to charge with genny and not solar when off-grid).  Why go only half-way and continue with having to check IF you're charged enough or not? and continue to wonder IF you should  or shouldn't add equipment.  Knowing you put in a complete, good system will likely make you more content in the long run.  Okay, no more advice.

Whichever way you go, I just hope you're safe and happy with your travels. 
Linda

Back
Top Bottom