Am I crazy to try this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donandlin

Our bedroom carpet needs replacing and I am looking at Allure planks.  We plan on cutting out the old carpet as far as we can around the bed, then laying the Allure. Home Depot says let it ?float? but I thought of glueing it down.  We can?t get under the bed far enough to have floating edges for the flooring.  I welcome opinions and suggestions!  Thanks! Haven?t looked yet but should I expect plywood particle board under the carpet?

No, not crazy. Most  likely it will be a plywood surface under the rug. I would probably glue it too. With the bouncing that these rigs take going down the road I foresee the planks soon separating.

I put down Bamboo planks an glued and face nailed as I went along to make sure some would stay where we put them.  We did go up against the Kitchen cabinets but let opposite (slide) side float under the carpet.  I did not nail a lot nor did I glue down a lot.  Just where I thought
it would be helpful.  Third year in Yuma an no problems yet.

You can glue it down using a good quality floor adhesive - we did that on a friends coach with an Allure Ultra floor.  However, floating a small area like a bedroom should not be a problem either. I floated a laminate plank in that area without difficulties.

I don't get your comment about "can?t get under the bed far enough to have floating edges for the flooring.".  You don't have to get under anything for a floating floor. Just the opposite.  It stops 1/4"-1/2" shy of any wall or cabinet frame and you use moldings to cover the gap.

Some advice: use the better quality Allure Ultra rather than standard Allure. It costs  little more, but the small square footage in an RV makes that of little consequence.  The Ultra is thicker and has superior snap-fit edges that makes for a much better and more lasting job.

YOu might be able to get farther under the bed than you think.

Accu slide (Cable slides) Loosen the adjustment nuts and then you can LIFT the foot of the bed (I used a jack.. Same one I use for tire changes on the car) to hold mine up while I did some work.

Re-adjust cables later.

Other slides I can't always help but Power gear you don't even need to adjust.. Just not all the way in/out.

So the consensus seems to me to be that you may be crazy but not for trying this. ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom