Am I missing something when it comes to TV reception?I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about all the controversy, I really didn't mean to cause trouble, but want's this about a 12v amp for the antenna? I called Vizio the mfg of my TV today, and they were very helpful about an related problem I had. 

Sorry about the distraction, but it happens on forums like this.  The amplifier is for your antenna and must be on for it to work.  This is true for both the old analog and the new digital tuners.

Sorry Mike, I mentioned checking the amp in the first line of the first reply.  Guess I wasn't to clear.

In my previous post I mentioned no pre-amp, no antenna raising or pointing and got HD signals, at home after scanning for local stations.  On the road scans didn't help even though other RVers were able to get reception where the local area had stations available.

At least I think I am getting HD, regular channels for the area with all the sub channels.  It has been more than 60 years since I had involvement with anything to do with anything electronic except as a user.  A few things have changed since then and understanding of the problem and my input may not be relative.

"At least I think I am getting HD, regular channels for the area with all the sub channels."

Chuck, at the risk of opening another can of worms, digital TV (channels with sub-channels) is not synonymous with HD.

In my previous post I mentioned no pre-amp, no antenna raising or pointing and got HD signals, at home after scanning for local stations.  On the road scans didn't help even though other RVers were able to get reception where the local area had stations available.

Los Angeles is an oddball when it comes to TV reception.  I don't think there's another area in the country where the majority of the TV transmitters are on a mountaintop 6000 ft. above the market.  That's why you were able to get signals at home without turning on the preamp.

If you were looking at analog signals, even with that megawattage beaming into the antenna, you would have noticed the picture was somewhat snowy.  Turning on the preamp would have cleared up that snow.

In the rest of the world (outside of L.A.) unless you're relatively close to the transmitting antenna you'll have to turn on the preamp to get a usable signal.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the picture was absolutely beautiful and clear without any type of amplification.  No snow or imperfections.  I was never able to get this type of reception on the old CRT.  Where I did get reception on the road I did use the amp and antenna to improve the picture.

Still, I don't think my input covered the original question, but felt it might have added some information that might have been helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom